Mayo v Kerry (MacHale Park, 13/3/2016, 2.30pm)

Started by moysider, March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 12:26:27 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 16, 2016, 12:00:23 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 15, 2016, 11:44:03 PM
As far as i know Clarke is involved so i dont see any reason not to drop him.Were asking for trouble with him.Look at the 2 Dubin games last year big mistakes in each of them cost us goals

What happens if Hennelly is dropped and walks? Is the new management strong enough to deal with it. Clarke's injury history is very bad and what are the chances he's able to complete a year? What then?

It is probably best that we trash him on the internet and demand that he be dropped. Maybe we could start screaming in panic everytime the ball comes in, just like we did with Peter Burke (who played for Ireland) near the end of his days.

I reckon Hennelly is 8 years younger than Cluxton and 6 years younger than Clarke. Even though he is there a long time, he is still relatively young for a keeper and will continue to improve. On his day he is terrific. We are fortunate to have such a very experienced back-up to step in if necessary.

This is simply not true.In the big games he consistently makes mistakes that cost us.2013 AIF mistake leads to a goal.2014 replay in Limerick he was shocking.2015 replay against Dublin he lost the head completley and it cost us.Im not making any demands that he be dropped i dont pick the team but the last i looked this was a discussion forum and in my opinion hes a dodgy keeper and we have a better option sitting on the bench.

muppet

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 16, 2016, 12:38:26 PM
As far as i know Clarke is involved so i dont see any reason not to drop him.Were asking for trouble with him.Look at the 2 Dubin games last year big mistakes in each of them cost us goals

What happens if Hennelly is dropped and walks? Is the new management strong enough to deal with it. Clarke's injury history is very bad and what are the chances he's able to complete a year? What then?

It is probably best that we trash him on the internet and demand that he be dropped. Maybe we could start screaming in panic everytime the ball comes in, just like we did with Peter Burke (who played for Ireland) near the end of his days.

I reckon Hennelly is 8 years younger than Cluxton and 6 years younger than Clarke. Even though he is there a long time, he is still relatively young for a keeper and will continue to improve. On his day he is terrific. We are fortunate to have such a very experienced back-up to step in if necessary.

This is simply not true.In the big games he consistently makes mistakes that cost us.2013 AIF mistake leads to a goal.2014 replay in Limerick he was shocking.2015 replay against Dublin he lost the head completley and it cost us.Im not making any demands that he be dropped i dont pick the team but the last i looked this was a discussion forum and in my opinion hes a dodgy keeper and we have a better option sitting on the bench.

An opinion is merely an opinion and is not something that 'is simply not true'.

In the 2013 AIF both keepers made a bad error, the Dublin forwards took their opportunity, ours watched as Cluxton flapped and completely missed a ball.

In 2006 Clarke made the worst flap I ever saw but so what? I have never seen a keeper who didn't make an error.

There is very little between them, but Hennelly is far younger and therefore more potential and one for the future.

MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Hennelly also threw one into his net in the 08 AI minor final replay. He has a penchant for blowing up on the big day.

mayoman dan

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 12:43:34 PM

In the 2013 AIF both keepers made a bad error, the Dublin forwards took their opportunity, ours watched as Cluxton flapped and completely missed a ball.

In 2006 Clarke made the worst flap I ever saw but so what? I have never seen a keeper who didn't make an error.

There is very little between them, but Hennelly is far younger and therefore more potential and one for the future.

Apologies i may have worded my opening statement wrong but i stand by my opinion that he is a very poor keeper.I accept all goalkeepers make mistakes but Hennelly consistently makes them.Hes no spring chicken either he must be 26 or 27 at this stage so its not like this is new to him.You talk about potential and that he will continue to improve but i have never seen any improvement in him.I dont think he is any better of a keeper now than when he burst on to the scene a few years ago.

muppet

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 16, 2016, 10:41:25 PM

Apologies i may have worded my opening statement wrong but i stand by my opinion that he is a very poor keeper.I accept all goalkeepers make mistakes but Hennelly consistently makes them.Hes no spring chicken either he must be 26 or 27 at this stage so its not like this is new to him.You talk about potential and that he will continue to improve but i have never seen any improvement in him.I dont think he is any better of a keeper now than when he burst on to the scene a few years ago.

Interesting.

A very poor keeper? James Horan, Pat Holmes, Noel Kennelly and now Stephen Rochford all picked him. But you know more obviously.

Are you going to tell us the real reason for your online abuse of Hennelly?

MWWSI 2017

mayoman dan

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 10:50:29 PM

Interesting.

A very poor keeper? James Horan, Pat Holmes, Noel Kennelly and now Stephen Rochford all picked him. But you know more obviously.

As ive said several times its my opinion.Do you not like it when people disagree with you?Are you incapable of having a discussion without having to throw in childish insults?As for online abuse cop yourself on this is a discussion forum where im giving an opinion nothing more.

muppet

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 16, 2016, 10:59:49 PM

Interesting.

As ive said several times its my opinion.Do you not like it when people disagree with you?Are you incapable of having a discussion without having to throw in childish insults?As for online abuse cop yourself on this is a discussion forum where im giving an opinion nothing more.

You are the one throwing the insults.

'A very poor keeper'? Seriously??

'Were asking for trouble with him'. All those Mayo managers just keep asking for trouble.

He was an All-Star replacement to Cluxton. Moysider put any club bias aside and a gave a good reason not to put Clarke in.

You insult a Mayo player, anonymously and ludicrously imho, and you are whinging about online insults? Are we to simply bow to your opinion? Are we not allowed to dispute it or have even a cursory look at what might be behind it?

MWWSI 2017

mayoman dan

Quote from: muppet on March 16, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on March 16, 2016, 10:59:49 PM

Interesting.

You are the one throwing the insults.

'A very poor keeper'? Seriously??

'Were asking for trouble with him'. All those Mayo managers just keep asking for trouble.

He was an All-Star replacement to Cluxton. Moysider put any club bias aside and a gave a good reason not to put Clarke in.

You insult a Mayo player, anonymously and ludicrously imho, and you are whinging about online insults? Are we to simply bow to your opinion? Are we not allowed to dispute it or have even a cursory look at what might be behind it?
[/b]

First off i havent insulted anyone.I am giving an opinion on a player on a discussion board.Is that not allowed? Are we only allowed to discuss players that we think are going well.Secondly if you think this is some club bias your wrong and Faarendeelin can back me up on that one.I have never met Hennelly im sure hes a nice fella but i dont think hes the best goalkeeper in the Mayo squad at the minute.As for bowing to my opinion well thats just pure bluster.Im entitled to my opinion as you are entitled to yours.If you dont agree with me thats fine but to suggest i have a hidden agenda when it comes to Hennelly is wide of the mark.

muppet

By all means point to Clarke, O'Malley or whoever you like as your preferred starter, as many others do here.  But attacking an amateur player, on the team you are supposed to support, on a public forum as 'a very poor keeper' or 'looking for trouble' is pretty crass in my opinion. Goalkeepers usually mature later than other players and often don't hit their peak until late 20s/early 30s, so saying he is 'no spring chicken' at 26 is comical.

I have my reasons for preferring Hennelly over Clarke, but to justify it I won't publicly point to any perceived weakness I might think I see in Clarke's game. He is a great servant and I have too much respect for him to do that.

Anyway, enough of that, I have another team to support today.

C'mon Mitchels!
MWWSI 2017