County most likely to break into the top 4

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2015, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

The obvious answer is Cork. It should be a  "top 5".

After that for me it will be Galway.

A few years ago I would have had Kildare as bankers but for some reason they have fallen back alot .

JoG2

Quote from: mjg on February 12, 2015, 04:10:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 12, 2015, 12:58:56 PM
Armagh have the best manager, are on an upward curve and will expect a top 4 slot this year. They are the mostl likely bet.
Mcgeeney the best manager?

Apparently so. Transferred Jamie Clarke into a bull of a half-back.

I'd add Cork and Monaghan. Monaghan could make real waves in this years championship. Galway could give Connacht a good old rattle the year

LCohen

Armagh have the best manager, are on an upward curve and will expect a top 4 slot this year. They are the mostl likely bet.

We have a lot of potential. We have proved very little though. Mainly a young team and if it doesn't happen for us this year the only first teamer we are likely to lose in the coming 2 years is McKeever - a player whos best years are already behind him. Armagh are a decent bet over the next 2-3 years. But all to prove

Farrandeelin

I think Mayo will slide out of the top 4 this year. :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JP

I'm just happy that Armagh are being mentioned again in these kind of threads. I hope we can build on last year but realistically we have a very tough opener so I wouldn't be putting us down for the semi's just yet. However, we will be dangerous opponents for anyone.

imtommygunn

Quote from: LCohen on February 12, 2015, 07:20:52 PM

We have a lot of potential. We have proved very little though. Mainly a young team and if it doesn't happen for us this year the only first teamer we are likely to lose in the coming 2 years is McKeever - a player whos best years are already behind him. Armagh are a decent bet over the next 2-3 years. But all to prove

Do they really have the best manager though? There are a lot of things he will instill which will benefit yes but watching kildare under him i was always a bit dubious about his gameplans. He is too defensive in my view. Yes donegal are defensive but they break at a fast pace to counteract this. I don't know if i can see mcgeeney doing that.

Bensars

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 12, 2015, 08:21:58 PM

Do they really have the best manager though? There are a lot of things he will instill which will benefit yes but watching kildare under him i was always a bit dubious about his gameplans. He is too defensive in my view. Yes donegal are defensive but they break at a fast pace to counteract this. I don't know if i can see mcgeeney doing that.

In the heat of battle, tactical nous has been somewhat missing in the past.
In Division 3, managerial expertise may flatter to deceive. There's a long way from January/Feb promise to August reality when the big guns are playing for winner takes all, no second chances!

smelmoth

Quote from: Bensars on February 12, 2015, 08:45:25 PM

In the heat of battle, tactical nous has been somewhat missing in the past.
In Division 3, managerial expertise may flatter to deceive. There's a long way from January/Feb promise to August reality when the big guns are playing for winner takes all, no second chances!

he knows how to get boys fit, working hard, defensively organised etc. Has never proven he can set up an attack. In Armagh he has a player waiting in the wings in Andrew Murnin who offers him a big full forward option. That might make his life a bit easier

seafoid

Davy fitz learnt a lot with the Deise and then did the biz with Clare.
McGeeney is smart.   If he has learnt enough he could do a good bit with Armagh.

Captain Obvious

I doubt it. Tough Ulster draw and down on a number of last years starters due to retirements and others leaving the panel.

Throw ball

Interesting discussion however meaningless.

Armagh have potential like many counties. McGeeney will get them to a level that will make them competitive. To go further they need luck and a extra bit of nous. Hopefully his back room team has a bit of this. Like others I am looking forward to see how Murnin will perform at inter county.

As for others. I feel Tyrone have something missing and it may not be until Harte hands over the reins that they gain a freshness to get going again. Maybe wishful thinking! Monaghan are a strong contender but their lack of depth may stop them reaching their ultimate goal. Of the others I was really impressed with Roscommon last year. If Mayo slip they have an opportunity. Was also impressed with Tipperary in the league. They will cause difficulty for many teams.

ballinaman

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on February 12, 2015, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 12:17:18 PM
Apologies seafoid, I thought your headline came from Carney's article. It looks like in this I am more aligned with Carney (gulp) where he calls the elite as the teams that can seriously hope for an All Ireland. (I'd include Cork in that list myself).

I thought it was an interesting article, AZ.
Mayo broke into the top 4 in 2011 with the semi final. They were losing to Longford the year before.
I can't see any new team winning the all Ireland this year but maybe one of the top 4 will be displaced.
Maybe Donegal have done as much as they could.
Mayo can't keep going forever without winning either. If they had won Sam they'd have faded back into the pack by now, I think.

And it is an iterative process- semifinal can lead to final appearance and then all Ireland win but it takes a while if you are not Kerry. The Dubs and Donegal served their time.
Monaghan were disappointing last year. I thought they would kick on. Armagh had a good run in the QFs too

I think neither Meath nor les Flourbags are  going to do it and it's too early for Ros/Cavan etc 
Galway need more time too.

But as Carney said
"It's a county that can dredge a maximum from its talent pool when the sniff of success emerges" ;)

Very few counties can do that. Not the first time Mayo have done something like that. It s all down to the quality of management as far as Mayo is concerned.

theticklemister

You are all deluding yerselves if you think Armagh are just outside this group. They are miles and miles away. I would put my own county ahead of them and we are nowhere near the top 4.

Hate to say it but the Tyronies will be there or thereabouts. cork there too.