Attendances at county finals

Started by theticklemister, October 19, 2014, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 21, 2014, 01:46:25 PM
QuotePretty impressive proportion of Longfordians there.

The figure would have been boosted by curious Cavan people who would have travelled to see Mullinalaghta.

Some would say Mullinalaghta people are ethnic Cavan folk caught on the wrong side of the county boundry............... :P

(I expect abuse now from Laureleye but I'm only slagging)

An interesting theory, but I don't buy it, Cavan people would not outlay cash for mere curiosity.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tomsmithson

Quote from: Itchy on October 19, 2014, 11:25:04 PM
5473 at Cavan final.
. If you go down the park lane you can see where there is a hole in the fense so lots of bodies got in there before john o Rinn got the hole plugged I'd say about 7.000 all in

Farrandeelin

The Mayo hurling final attracted a crowd of 2500 or thereabouts, I believe. I have no idea what was at the football final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blanketattack

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 21, 2014, 07:39:17 PM
The Mayo hurling final attracted a crowd of 2500 or thereabouts, I believe. I have no idea what was at the football final.

Non-North Mayo types.

Could be that way for a while.
MWWSI 2017

Plain of the Herbs

2,910 at the Limerick hurling Final, according to the 'Daily Cork'.  That's a shocking figure, for a county with a massive population, and who hurling-wise are approaching the crest of a wave.

Zulu

Quote from: blanketattack on October 22, 2014, 09:34:21 AM
27,000 at Cork hurling

That seems a very high figure! I didn't see the game or read anything about the crowd size and the Cork finals are often the best attended in the country but I'm pretty sure it's usually closer to the 15,000 mark, not the 30,000, is it not? Huge crowd if it's true.

Rossfan

I saw 12k quoted for the Cork final.
I presume 2,500 at the Rhu Hurley final is a wind up?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2014, 03:10:45 PM
It isn't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 22, 2014, 04:05:49 PM
It isn't.

How? I know Tooreen well and it's tiny. Ballyhuanis is no big town either and they are pretty closely related to the Tooreen lads too - Keith Higgins' older brother used to hurl for Tooreen. There's more interest in hurling in Roscommon and we we would be lucky to get 250 at a county final.

muppet

Quote from: Zulu on October 22, 2014, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on October 22, 2014, 09:34:21 AM
27,000 at Cork hurling

That seems a very high figure! I didn't see the game or read anything about the crowd size and the Cork finals are often the best attended in the country but I'm pretty sure it's usually closer to the 15,000 mark, not the 30,000, is it not? Huge crowd if it's true.

I was at one years ago and the figure was over 20,000. It was the time a seriously bulked up Setanta came back from Oz and threw The Rock around the place until Cloyne moved him.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

The was well over 20,000 at a few football finals as well but they would be the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't think this years hurling would have captured the imagination as the Sars would have been excepted to win handy I'd say.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Biggest crowd in years at a Cork final, yes. Due mainly to Ballincollig being in their first final and being the only club in a huge satellite town of around 20k. Carbery Rangers have quite a big catchment area also.
Back in the day there was 25,000 at a Cork final between 2 West Cork clubs, Castlehaven and O'Donovan Rossa (Skibbereen).

Going to be a big crowd at the Kerry final Sunday I would say given that Austin Stacks are playing..and it's on in Austin Stack park! It's not their home ground but it is only a mile from it. I'd say good chance of 10k+.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Zulu

http://traleetoday.ie/video-watch-fantastic-rockies-support-county-final/

I've never seen this type of support at a club final before, the Rockies seem to have a tremendous support base.

orangeman

Should be a big crowd in Parnell Park tonight.