Started by Christmas Lights, January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 04:43:51 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 04:38:23 PM
got this from the gaa website

ROLE OF THE REFEREE
If a player refuses to comply with a Referee's instruction to wear a mouthguard, he will incur the penalty as outlined in (Rule 6.2, Rules of Foul Play, The Playing Rules of Football, Official Guide, Part 2, 2012) 'Caution the offender; order off if he persists'.

Order off if he persists??  If he doesnt have a mouthguard at the start of the game, hes not going to have one 20 minutes in so I guess the player is essentially sent off?

What if you forget to take it with you?  Does that mean you have to sit out the game?  Cant expect people to share gumshields FFS
Its a pathetic rule.

Yes im thinking the same christmas lights. If a player has no gumshield or forgets it or something, then the manager will have to leave him out of the team. Crazy.

Will the madness never end Smort?

smort

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 04:51:04 PM

ROLE OF THE REFEREE
If a player refuses to comply with a Referee's instruction to wear a mouthguard, he will incur the penalty as outlined in (Rule 6.2, Rules of Foul Play, The Playing Rules of Football, Official Guide, Part 2, 2012) 'Caution the offender; order off if he persists'.

Order off if he persists??  If he doesnt have a mouthguard at the start of the game, hes not going to have one 20 minutes in so I guess the player is essentially sent off?

What if you forget to take it with you?  Does that mean you have to sit out the game?  Cant expect people to share gumshields FFS
Its a pathetic rule.

Yes im thinking the same christmas lights. If a player has no gumshield or forgets it or something, then the manager will have to leave him out of the team. Crazy.

Im just surprised management and backroom staff don't have to wear them as in many cases they are just as likely to get a slap   

Rossfan

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 04:51:04 PM

ROLE OF THE REFEREE

Its a pathetic rule.

Go back to bet lads and try getting out the right side.
Such a pair of whingers.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smort

Do you agree the rossfan that a player shouldn't be able to play if he forgets his gumshield. the shout often goes around the changing room 'anybody spare socks/shorts'....people will forget it at some stage

Rossfan

Doesn't matter a fcuk whether I agree or not - it's now the rule.
I don't agree with handpassing the ball over the bar but the GAA still went ahead and allowed it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stall the Bailer

ROLE OF THE REFEREE

Its a pathetic rule.

Would be the same if you had no football boots with you sure.

Milltown Row2

This is daft. Its like saying to the hurler, hurl a way lad, I know you forgot your helmet but never worry :-\. Common sense test required to be allowed to post please.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

There are an awful lot more head injuries in hurling than there are mouth injuries in football. I just don't see the need for this rule to have been brought in.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2014, 08:15:35 PM
This is daft. Its like saying to the hurler, hurl a way lad, I know you forgot your helmet but never worry :-\. Common sense test required to be allowed to post please.
IMO a gumshield isn't a necessary piece of equipment .
There was no need for this rule to be brought in IMO and an awful lot of players are against it. Those that wanted to wear a gumsheild were free to do so, its a complete nonsense to force everyone to do it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Christmas Lights

Still should not be a compulsory rule IMO.  A helmet in hurling could save a life.  I dont think a gumshield is a life saving piece of equipment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 09:58:33 PM

Still should not be a compulsory rule IMO.  A helmet in hurling could save a life.  I dont think a gumshield is a life saving piece of equipment.

I've never known anyone to die from not wearing a helmet, I never wore one right up till we had to, did I want to hurl? yes, so I bought a helmet. Job done move on, those are the rules. A gumshield will not make you a worse footballer ffs, anyone using that as an excuse is thick (IMO ;)), it will prevent someone from losing their teeth though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

Who is saying it will make you a worse footballer? Its whether or not its a necessary piece of equipment. The helmet in hurling is of far more importance than a gumshield is in football. Did anyone have any problems with the helmet being made compulsory? I can't believe it was only 2010 when it was introduced when the dangers of a head injury are so apparent.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2014, 10:04:25 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 09:58:33 PM

I've never known anyone to die from not wearing a helmet, I never wore one right up till we had to, did I want to hurl? yes, so I bought a helmet. Job done move on, those are the rules. A gumshield will not make you a worse footballer ffs, anyone using that as an excuse is thick (IMO ;)), it will prevent someone from losing their teeth though
But why make them compulsory?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM
Whats everyone's opinion on the new Gumshield / Mouth Guard rule?

Personally I hate the thought of them as Ive never wore one in my life and just see them as more of an inconvenience as its one extra thing to remember to bring on match day.  Also, I'm going to assume they affect your breathing which at 30 years of age, I need all the oxygen in my lungs I can get when playing.   A mouth guard will surely limit my intake of glorious air resulting in a probable blackout mid match some time this year.

Rediculous rule IMO TBF

Lights thinks it will affect his breathing and you agreed smort, which could hinder your performance

They are compulsory because they have had injuries in the past? I really don't think it's a big problem, it was a hassle at the start wearing a helmet but life's better with it

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2014, 10:57:18 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM
Whats everyone's opinion on the new Gumshield / Mouth Guard rule?

Personally I hate the thought of them as Ive never wore one in my life and just see them as more of an inconvenience as its one extra thing to remember to bring on match day.  Also, I'm going to assume they affect your breathing which at 30 years of age, I need all the oxygen in my lungs I can get when playing.   A mouth guard will surely limit my intake of glorious air resulting in a probable blackout mid match some time this year.

Rediculous rule IMO TBF

Lights thinks it will affect his breathing and you agreed smort, which could hinder your performance

They are compulsory because they have had injuries in the past? I really don't think it's a big problem, it was a hassle at the start wearing a helmet but life's better with it

I would like to see the stats for serious dental/mouth injuries in gaelic football, i'd say the problem is minimal.
I would say broken leg is a far more common GAA injury (and far more serious), are compulsory shin guards next?