USFC: Fermanagh v Down: Brewster Park: 3/6/12

Started by DownFanatic, May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Paddy Power have us 4/9 to win. I think that tag is justified. Fermanagh wil be no pushovers but we should have too much for them.

southdown

BennyCake

PAULD123

Benny, Liam Doyle, Dan Gordon, Anton McCardle and Damien Rafferty are all definitely out. Hughes, Rooney and Gerrard McCartan are all doubtful ( the last couple simply because of match fitness/sharpness). Gough and McComiskey have not been selected for the squad, Keith Quinn is in USA (or somewhere else anyway)

Fermanagh will be high in confidence and will really be up for it. This will not be an easy game and any victory will be welcome.

Getting home with any victory and my head gasket intact would be considered a majorly good day for me, as in 2009 I lost both the game and my car on the same day.

FermGael

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM
Paddy Power have us 4/9 to win. I think that tag is justified. Fermanagh wil be no pushovers but we should have too much for them.

Without a doubt.  Sure you have a great record in Fermanagh.........

Fermanagh had a good league campaign and got into a good winning habit.
Had a second half to forget in the League final.  But it probably highlighted a few things that needed changed.
Tommy McElroy would be a big doubt as he has not played too much this year.
Hopefully James Sherry will be back to man the middle.
Apart from that i think (fingers crossed - last league games tomorrow night), we have a clear bill of health.

Down have well documented problems at full back and Quigley will take the focus of the rest of our forwards.
Corrigan showed how good he is when we supply him with the correct ball.
Am expecting Fermanagh to put 12 men behind the ball and play on the counter.
Just hoping that Down are arrogant enough to let us play that system.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

PAULD123

Further to yesterday's post - Danny Hughes moves from doubtful to highly unlikley. He is not training and cannot not run. So It can not be expected he will field on June 3rd

5 Sams

Quote from: FermGael on May 15, 2012, 10:22:26 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Without a doubt.  Sure you have a great record in Fermanagh.........

Fermanagh had a good league campaign and got into a good winning habit.
Had a second half to forget in the League final.  But it probably highlighted a few things that needed changed.
Tommy McElroy would be a big doubt as he has not played too much this year.
Hopefully James Sherry will be back to man the middle.
Apart from that i think (fingers crossed - last league games tomorrow night), we have a clear bill of health.

Down have well documented problems at full back and Quigley will take the focus of the rest of our forwards.
Corrigan showed how good he is when we supply him with the correct ball.
Am expecting Fermanagh to put 12 men behind the ball and play on the counter.
Just hoping that Down are arrogant enough to let us play that system.

Is Quigley not hurt?
The Aristocrat Years

haranguerer

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 16, 2012, 10:44:30 AM
Further to yesterday's post - Danny Hughes moves from doubtful to highly unlikley. He is not training and cannot not run. So It can not be expected he will field on June 3rd

I've noticed that about the hoor

No 5sams, hes a bit swollen round the middle aright, but nothing to worry about, if hes here that is

ExiledGael

Is this one of BBC's deferred games or live?
Should be very interesting but Down have to be favourites.

whitegoodman

Paul, where did u hear that about Danny?  It was in the local papers this wk that he was back in full training and was just not match sharp.  But given what they are like I wouldnt have much faith in the local papers.  If ur right then arguably r 3 best players are all out.  This has turned from a tricky assignment into a very dangerous assignment especially considering our record down there wouldnt be fantastic.

Rooney and Gerrard McCartan have both played club league games recently so i would say they will be available for selection.  Given the current likely injuries  I can see this being something like what James picks ( not necessarily my selection.

McVeigh
D McCartan
B McArdle
A Brannigan
Rooney
McKernan
Garvey
King
Rodgers
Maginn
Poland
Carr
McConville
E McCartan
Laverty

Not a forward line that would inspire u and a million miles away from the quality that was there just 2 years ago imo.  No Coulter, Clarke, Hughes, McCumisky or Murtagh, basically a whole forward line gone for various reasons.

SHEEDY

Quote from: whitegoodman on May 16, 2012, 08:30:42 PM
Paul, where did u hear that about Danny?  It was in the local papers this wk that he was back in full training and was just not match sharp.  But given what they are like I wouldnt have much faith in the local papers.  If ur right then arguably r 3 best players are all out.  This has turned from a tricky assignment into a very dangerous assignment especially considering our record down there wouldnt be fantastic.

Rooney and Gerrard McCartan have both played club league games recently so i would say they will be available for selection.  Given the current likely injuries  I can see this being something like what James picks ( not necessarily my selection.

McVeigh
D McCartan
B McArdle
A Brannigan
Rooney
McKernan
Garvey
King
Rodgers
Maginn
Poland
Carr
McConville
E McCartan
Laverty

Not a forward line that would inspire u and a million miles away from the quality that was there just 2 years ago imo.  No Coulter, Clarke, Hughes, McCumisky or Murtagh, basically a whole forward line gone for various reasons.
probably not far away from the team that james will pick. you add caolan mooney to the list of forwards that are missing from last year. a lot of quality missing for 1 reason or another. brewster park now looks a real banana skin.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Whitegoodman's side may not be far off, bar some positional changes, but Rooney's long absence means that McParland is a more likely starter in the half back line.

DownFanatic

Just to clear up the McComiskey situation. McComiskey wasn't dropped by Wee James, as he was never part of the NFL squad. The news story that the Irish News carried a few months ago that McComiskey was returning to the squad was totally fabricated and without foundation.

FermGael

SEAN Quigley hurt as far as i know.
Had an operation on a hernia problem.

E Maguire away to England because of work according to Fermanagh's head of spin.

That Down line up may not be there strongest but then again, why would they need to be.
Sure we are only a wee division 4 team who struggled all year to get promotion.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

whitegoodman

Mourne rover I get ur point on Rooney being out for a while but i still would expect James to pick him. James seems to like him and put him straight in against donegal in his first year when Rooney hadn't kicked a ball all year.

He may even play Rooney and Mcparland and push mckernan up especially if Danny is out.

Down fanatic can you provide any info on whether mccumiskey was asked back and declined or just wasn't asked?? I would find it pretty strange if he wasn't asked back given our current injuries, similar with murtagh.

Which would u fancy, mcconville McCartan laverty or mccumiskey Murtagh laverty......