GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: lemallon on August 31, 2011, 10:50:51 PM
Hard to beat Jack O Connors biography.  Despite the chip on his shoulder towards the 1970's team and his inability to endure any criticism from them I thought it was a great insight into the Kerry psyche and really showed him to be a tremendous thinker on the game.  Alsoshowed no matter how successful a team is there is always dressing room problems.  Eg You'd never have believed Tom O Sullivan to be a player with disciplianry issues but they were highlighted here.

He had a chapter in it about how he would have psyched Dublin out of it if they had beaten Mayo in THAT semi final. Must ferret the book out and read that chapter again.

tyroneman

Mickey Linden

There was a book a few years ago, I think it was by Eamon sweeney? Where he went round the country visiting different Gaa strongholds and having the craic. any one mind the name?

commonman

Eamon Sweeney's book was Road to Croker.

My top 4 GAA books

Dublin V Kerry
Out of our Skins
Kings of September
House of Pain

for me 'the club' is not in that league at all

Tony Baloney

Anyone read Tony Griffin's book 'Screaming at the Sky'?

Will also get the books by Walsh and Foley on the Christmas list if anyone from my immediate family are reading this. Like my brother.

Orangemac

Was there talk of McGeeney having a book out soon? Would be interesting, particularly his reaction to being taken off in 2005.

tyroneman

Screaming at the sky was a good read however I would file it next to 'out of our skins' in that some of the introspection could go on a wee bit.

Have to admire his dedication though to do that cycle ride.

Found Hartes first book better than the second.

Jinxy

I'd have to say Out of our Skins is one of the best sports books I've read, let alone one of the best GAA books.
It's incredibly honest with none of the usual cliches about passion, teamwork, doing it for the jersey etc.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

NP 76

Just finished the Kerry Dublin book really good read . I enjoyed Codys book more than Hartes 2nd one read them both around the same time . Also thought that one about Kerry Princes Of Pigskin was excellent

5 Sams

Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 01, 2011, 10:36:27 PM
There was a book a few years ago, I think it was by Eamon sweeney? Where he went round the country visiting different Gaa strongholds and having the craic. any one mind the name?

You should know Mickey...you were in it ;) :D
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jinxy on September 02, 2011, 02:30:41 PM
I'd have to say Out of our Skins is one of the best sports books I've read, let alone one of the best GAA books.
It's incredibly honest with none of the usual cliches about passion, teamwork, doing it for the jersey etc.
Maybe give it a lash. Cheers.

Farneylawd2011

what is pat spillane second book called ??

Jinxy

'Gaelic football was much better in my day'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on September 04, 2011, 10:10:25 PM
what is pat spillane second book called ??

I don't think he ever finished "Ann and Barry".

Farneylawd2011

All of Micheal O Muircheataigh books.
Micky Harte 2 books.
Micheal O Heir
Oisin McConville
Are my favourite.