CONNACHT CLUB FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Started by Shrewdness, September 26, 2010, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Not at match but seemed Lofty's shortcomings once again let ye down Duine? In absolute fairness Killererin are the essence of a team, much greater than the sum of their parts, and have really overacheived this year; should have lost several times this season but stuck at it until the very end. A cruel irony that it should happen to them today. Nicky went for glory at the end when a team mate was better placed I heard?

Rossfan

Quote from: ross matt on November 21, 2010, 07:53:40 PM
Congrats to Brigids. Caps a great year for Roscommon . 3 provincial titles all won playing positive football.

+1. Great stuff in a great year.
Matt you're forgetting w won the Ted Webb Connacht U16 as well.
Hopefully other clubs/Counties will also copy our example with positive football and bring the entertainment and crowds back in these gloomy ties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Duine Eile

In fariness to Lofty he made a brillliant save during extra time and kicked a 45 during normal time.We all know he's not the best shot stopper in the world but I'd be more inclined to blame the lad with about 20 years experience who had half the parish to pass the ball to in the last minute of the game lost the ball which led to the Brigid's goal, what he was thinking I don't know. It'll take him a long time to forget that one. To go from 3 points up in the last minute of normal time and to end up 7 point losers, it's just unbelieveable. I wouldn't leave any iota of blame on Nicky either, he's been the one carrying the team most of the year this year, he worked like a dog for most of the game today, could probably have tried a bit harder for one or two more balls that came his way but he fought til the end. A lot of responsibility does lie on the sideline though, Colin Forde was getting cleaned all day, nobody was picking up the scraps for ages in midfield, Padraic Joyce was played too far forward aswell, we needed him to be out hitting the ball inside to Nicky and Ger Butler. Tom Hughes was a pale shadow of the player we saw against Ballintubber. Daniel Mannion, Declan Kelly, Micheal Boyle, Nicky, Tommie were our best performers on the day. Padraic was good but I've seen him better. I don't know, this is a hard defeat to take! :-[

imtommygunn

Gees must be tough to lose a game like that alright.

In my view the Brigids goal wasn't a square ball however that was a blatant penalty straight after it. How that would have impacted the game it's hard to say but I think it would have seriously slowed down the momentum Brigids had gained.

I thought Nicky Joyce was immense for Killeerin. He carried a lot of ball out of defense and seriously ran down the clock when, it looked like, Killeerin needed it. I suppose you could question him being so far away from goal there as he could have done a bit of damage in there. No. 13 a real flier for Kileerin too.

Frankie Dolan probably best for Brigids. Played very well.

Duine Eile

Mo 13 is Micheal Boyle, he's really come into his own this year, he's had a great championship.

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 21, 2010, 05:55:02 PM
Fair enough lads, that last post of mine was made of out of pure jealously tbh which it maybe not fully accurate but Killerenin will be kicking themselves tonight imo, It pain me to admit it but what i wouldnt give to be in yer shoes after 2010.

Fair play Sligonian i admire your honesty, after the game I went for a afternoon walk along the beach here in Miami & tbh i felt a slight bit of  jealously with the bodies on those folks... though i realised to look like that it took alot of work & money  ;)

My point is if the Sligo guys have the same dedication anything is possible.

Hard luck to Killerenin it's not nice to lose a connacht final & it's even worse the manner you lost it today!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Duine Eile

Quote from: ross4life on November 21, 2010, 09:52:46 PM

Hard luck to Killerenin it's not nice to lose a connacht final & it's even worse the manner you lost it today!

:'( :'(

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tatler Jack on November 21, 2010, 06:19:40 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 21, 2010, 05:55:02 PM
Fair enough lads, that last post of mine was made of out of pure jealously tbh which it maybe not fully accurate but Killerenin will be kicking themselves tonight imo, It pain me to admit it but what i wouldnt give to be in yer shoes after 2010.

Thats fine Sligonian - your reputation as regards knowing your football is restored. And no need to be jealous of us - like yourselves our days in the sun are few enough!!
I dont think one jealous/envious post is going to make or break me with regards my football knowledge :D, its always there i just let a negative emotion get the better of me ;). Ye get alot more days in the sun than we do. Its going to take some sort of Messiah for us to win trophies at intercounty level on a consistent basis. Today was just a reminder how a county with similar resources maximising its potential once again whereas we are nowhere. I havent quite put my finger on it yet but i dont dedication is the difference ross4life.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Never beat the deeler

Congrats to Brigids on a fine Connacht Championship run.

Any truth in the rumour that a certain D Blaine is returning for a shot at an All Ireland? I hear he's fighting fit down under - ya wouldnt know the man!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

Tatler Jack

QuoteI dont think one jealous/envious post is going to make or break me with regards my football knowledge

Thats where you are wrong Sligonian - tis many's the player who is remembered more for his one bad game than his many good ones. Same goes for punditry ;). Complacency can be dangerous.

As regards why Sligo teams come up short well its hard to know why - I saw Sligo teams as far back as the early 70's manage to lose games they should have won. Maybe there needs to be more passion throughout the county - I would see your passion as the exception rather than the rule.