Minor Club All-Ireland?

Started by The Doire Geal, November 23, 2009, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Any results from the Leinster competition?

Hoof Hearted

cheers AZ, i thought that. because it wasnt long after my last year at minors (89) and it was around the time we (Bellaghy) had won that Ulster Club a couple of times. Unfortunately not in the year that was organised. Wonder why it didn't kick on ? Finances probably.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

antoinse

Yep a great idea but it should be open entry rather than selective

stevecw

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 23, 2009, 08:48:12 PM
Out of interest how do you determine which 8 counties go in? (well 7 as I assume carlow are in by default...)

Not 100% sure, but was told its usually the 1st 8 championships to be finished get 1st choice. Sometimes the dates of the competition don't suit a club and then the next counties champs get invited instead.

Don't think we've ever had a Kilkenny club in it. And i know that Wicklow haven't played their minor final yet, so thats why they aren't in it this year.

And to answer Declan ^^^ none of the games have been played yet. It was meant to start last weekend, but was postponed due to the weather.

Declan

Quotenone of the games have been played yet. It was meant to start last weekend, but was postponed due to the weather

Cheers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 24, 2009, 02:49:35 PM
cheers AZ, i thought that. because it wasnt long after my last year at minors (89) and it was around the time we (Bellaghy) had won that Ulster Club a couple of times. Unfortunately not in the year that was organised. Wonder why it didn't kick on ? Finances probably.

I'm sure logistical issues and finances were involved. It was great though. It was Saint Paul's Golden Jubilee I think, and they applied to Croker to sanction the competition, which they did. So it was actually official in that sense. I think most of the counties were involved, certainly in Leinster, Ulster and Connacht. I think Kerry opted out because South Kerry won the minor that year, and the same rules as the Senior Club All Ireland were in place, i.e. no divisional sides.

Dungiven had Geoffrey McGonigle playing with them, and Nemo had a few big names from that mid late 90s era as well. We were delighted to win it.

BennyHarp

When i was a minor, our club won the Tyrone championship and went to the final of the Ulster club tournament! I thought that it was a brilliant competition and enjoyed every minute of playing in it, even if the final stages of the competition where on Boxing Day and New Years Day! Any plans of extending it to an all-ireland satge would be great for the players!

As for this burn out argument -  i think any u18 would prefer to play an all-ireland semi final than have a rest! We wrap people up in cotton wool too much!!
That was never a square ball!!

The Forfeit Point

burnout? a potential 2 extra matches after the provincial set up, which is currently ran (brilliantly by the clubs) would hardly do that much damage.

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on November 25, 2009, 05:28:11 PM
burnout? a potential 2 extra matches after the provincial set up, which is currently ran (brilliantly by the clubs) would hardly do that much damage.

so they wouldn't train for these two matches then? More than likely twice a week, on top of any school, college or county commitments! Though I do agree that at that stage they wouldn't mind!!
That was never a square ball!!

Declan

Meath Minor Championship winners Dunshaughlin made light of the windy conditions to comprehensively beat Palatine of Carlow in the Quarter Final of the Leinster Minor Football Tournament in Eire Og of Carlow this afternoon. Winning out on a score line of 2-13 to 1-04, they advance to play Dublin Minor Champions Na Fianna next weekend.