GAA should open Gaelic Grounds 'or else' - Limerick Councillor

Started by Tubberman, January 16, 2007, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodo

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 08:17:00 PM
thats not the argument being made and well you know it. do we expect concerts to show GAA highlights in between bands? boxing matches between rounds? MCD can use their own commercial partners (catering, stewards, first aiders, announcers) but not the IRFU. there are complaints ofn oneupsmanship being made about making life difficult for them. they are handing over €1,000,000 minimum a game. and they percive CP are taking the piss over little things.

I only asked a question.......and you decided to not answer it. Also I have agreed with you regarding the showing of GAA videos at half-time being a bit much.
You are for some reason very inclined to carry out your 'work buddy's' arguement. It sounds a bit more like you have issues with the GAA personally jumping at every perceived flaw in the organisation.

dublinfella

Quote from: dodo on January 16, 2007, 09:27:23 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 08:17:00 PM
thats not the argument being made and well you know it. do we expect concerts to show GAA highlights in between bands? boxing matches between rounds? MCD can use their own commercial partners (catering, stewards, first aiders, announcers) but not the IRFU. there are complaints ofn oneupsmanship being made about making life difficult for them. they are handing over €1,000,000 minimum a game. and they percive CP are taking the piss over little things.

I only asked a question.......and you decided to not answer it. Also I have agreed with you regarding the showing of GAA videos at half-time being a bit much.
You are for some reason very inclined to carry out your 'work buddy's' arguement. It sounds a bit more like you have issues with the GAA personally jumping at every perceived flaw in the organisation.

No I'm not. He believes that use of CP is being given grudingly. Petty (as he sees them) little caveats that serve no purpose other than to remind the IRFU who is calling the shots. And he reckons they are paying over the odds to be treated shabbily.

Just passing on the mans opinion. And his counts

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 06:53:04 PM
A serious rugby head i work with (committee man and well known in rugby circles) maintains the IRFU just dont want the hassle of being made beg for CP and would rather go overseas than have to deal with the GAA heirarchy. And this man was genuinely grateful for the stadium initially, but the attitude has changed totally. they just have more decorum than the FAI. the prices being mentioned for stadia in Britain are a fraction of CP as well. 

The biggest load of rubbish I've seen on here in a while. If the IRFU didn't want to bother dealing with the GAA hierachy they wouldn't bother, and would be off to Cardiff at the drop of a hat, IF IT SUITED THEM.
For you to come on with this innuendo about " a serious rugby head i work with " is rubbish quite frankly. What's this guys name, PM it to me????

The IRFU want to play in Dublin and they want to play in Croker, they are greatful to the GAA and willing to do anything requested as they don't want to rock the boat too much, they are aware they will be asking the GAA for an extension past this season. If they didn't want to bother, they wouldn't. I got this info from a serious rugby head, well known in the media as the Chief Exec of the IFRU.
Your work colleague is talking though his hole I'm afaid

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on January 16, 2007, 09:44:40 PM

No , it doesn't count, the only opinion that counts is the public one. The IRFU would get unmercifully crucified if they decided to up sticks and head to the UK while Croker was open to them, regardless of any caveats imposed by the GAA. And the people whose opinion in the IRFU really count know this

magpie seanie

Maybe the Yes camp were right. We've pissed off the egg chaser crowd and the maggots more by opening Croker than if we kept it closed. Some consolation I suppose. It galls them to have to be done a favour by us gormless culchies.

Dublinfella - give it up. Go back to foot.ie and the Cathal Dervanites.

Gnevin

I think their is too much reading to what a very small minority are saying . I know many leinster fans who would love to play in croke park but know it will never happen. There are idiots in every walk of life and i don't think we need to get ultra defensive every time one of them mentions Croker
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

Gnevin - its just that it is never ending and its pretty wearing at this stage. We changed our rules to accomodate International soccer and rugby. Are we supposed to give it to them for free and for every bloody game that they feel they might possibly need to host?

Would be more in peoples line to be asking questions about what is happening about Lansdowne.

Gnevin

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2007, 10:01:30 PM
Gnevin - its just that it is never ending and its pretty wearing at this stage. We changed our rules to accomodate International soccer and rugby. Are we supposed to give it to them for free and for every bloody game that they feel they might possibly need to host?

Would be more in peoples line to be asking questions about what is happening about Lansdowne.

Never ending hardly .I've heard it about 4 times in the press . If its down the pub i love hearing as i normally just tell them to f off and build their own ground i love reminding the Soccer lads how they had to sell the best pitch in ireland and best called it to Cork GAA
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dodo

No I'm not. He believes that use of CP is being given grudingly. Petty (as he sees them) little caveats that serve no purpose other than to remind the IRFU who is calling the shots. And he reckons they are paying over the odds to be treated shabbily.

Sound man dublinfella, thanks for being the intermediary  ;).
His, yours and every opinion counts. But organisations are run democratically and the majority vote holds sway.
Again, a deal was agreed between both organisations. It sounds quite grudging IMO that your (imaginary ?  :-\) work buddy now complains of paying over the odds for CP. He should equally be annoyed in this case with the IRFU for paying over the odds !

Rufus T Firefly

I understand totally how people are getting annoyed by the arrogance of this councillor, and it of course makes GAA people go on the defensive, i.e. who does this dude think he is?

Still and all - I was for the opening up of Croker and the same would apply in my mind to other major grounds, including Limerick. These are big and expensive grounds that are scandously underused. Limerick has a capacity of 49,000 - the last time it had an attendance that size I reckon was the 1989 Munster Final (I think - the unveiling of the Mackey stand). When was the last time it had 40k in it - 1996 Munster Final?

And of course, Killarney, Cork, Thurles and Kilkenny are all planning extensions to already big grounds that will remain underused, whilst Clare are going to get a brand new 43k baby! Why not use our underused resources for our benefit - plenty of money to be made and there is always room for more money in the GAA, coaching grants etc.

I would love to see Munster playing at the Gaelic Grounds - would benefit Limerick, Munster, Ireland and the GAA!!

dublinfella

Quote from: dodo on January 16, 2007, 10:38:55 PM

Sound man dublinfella, thanks for being the intermediary  ;).
His, yours and every opinion counts. But organisations are run democratically and the majority vote holds sway.
Again, a deal was agreed between both organisations. It sounds quite grudging IMO that your (imaginary ?  :-\) work buddy now complains of paying over the odds for CP. He should equally be annoyed in this case with the IRFU for paying over the odds !

there is a lot of paranoia on this site. he exists and if you were me would you release his name to the baying mob?

his problem isnt so much the monetary cost, but he percieves the FAI and IRFU are not (and some of the comments on this thread would back his opinion on this up) being treated as parties to a multi million euro deal. and that was one of the factors in both Munster and Leinster not even considering approaching the GAA for a similar rule change.

but he does profoundly believe that its the GAA's call who plays on their turf. but the majority did vote for the deal. so why the pettiness?

stephenite

Who exactly is baying ?  ::)

You say that there is pettiness? The IRFU didn't have to agree to a thing, you colleague and his opinions are not indicative of thinking at the highest level of the IRFU.
He may well have his opinions but they are not shared by the majority of those whose opinions really count, as I've already stated.

So problem solved really, your colleague is out of touch and is obviously the one who has blinkered issues when it comes to accepting the assistance of colleagues in another, more forward thinking organisation.
Thankfully those who do control policies in the IRFU have weeded out this type of individual by moving onto some meaningless committee.

You've also mentioned that this perceived pettines ( perceived by said backwoodsmen like your colleague that fester in the lower ranks of provincial IRFU branches ) is the reason the provinces are not even consdiering requesting the use of Croker ??? ;D That a ludicrous suggestion, the IRFU have prohibited any such move in that they know it would require a further rule change by the GAA at congress. They know that such a motion would not be passed in time for this year anyway, and that it could impinge on any request for further international use whilst Lansdowne is being redeveloped.

Dublad, you;re inability to grasp the very basics of this discussion is quite cute, but c'mon, away and do some research before coming on here talking rubbish.

Maybe you could point your colleague to this site and he can come on under an alias and discuss his issues here with us. It would be easier than trying to discuss it through "an intermediary" as you put it

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on January 16, 2007, 11:20:34 PM
Who exactly is baying ?  ::)

You say that there is pettiness? The IRFU didn't have to agree to a thing, you colleague and his opinions are not indicative of thinking at the highest level of the IRFU.
He may well have his opinions but they are not shared by the majority of those whose opinions really count, as I've already stated.

So problem solved really, your colleague is out of touch and is obviously the one who has blinkered issues when it comes to accepting the assistance of colleagues in another, more forward thinking organisation.
Thankfully those who do control policies in the IRFU have weeded out this type of individual by moving onto some meaningless committee.

You've also mentioned that this perceived pettines ( perceived by said backwoodsmen like your colleague that fester in the lower ranks of provincial IRFU branches ) is the reason the provinces are not even consdiering requesting the use of Croker ??? ;D That a ludicrous suggestion, the IRFU have prohibited any such move in that they know it would require a further rule change by the GAA at congress. They know that such a motion would not be passed in time for this year anyway, and that it could impinge on any request for further international use whilst Lansdowne is being redeveloped.

Dublad, you;re inability to grasp the very basics of this discussion is quite cute, but c'mon, away and do some research before coming on here talking rubbish.

Maybe you could point your colleague to this site and he can come on under an alias and discuss his issues here with us. It would be easier than trying to discuss it through "an intermediary" as you put it

fester? he must be a minor player if he disagrees with you  ::) grow up

the guy is unhappy, as it appears are the FAI but were blunt enough to complain in the press, about their treatment despite handing over tens of millions.

you need to relax. its not an attack. the IRFU could have approached CP for a once off for the Leinster or Munster games. But they would prefer to go to Britain. One of the factors in that is apparently that the whole thing would be such a collosal pain in their arse as is their CP experience so far.

Feel free to argue the opinion he raised before attacking him and me.

There are some pathetic responses to the opinion of a very resonable man.

Owenmoresider

Here we go, the likes of Hook etc. want it all their own way now, sure the bould George is convinced that Killarney will host the Munster bandwagon yet. If not sure won't HQ do just fine. Thin end of the wedge indeed.

Bogball XV

Dublinfella, never did I think you'd be one of the driving forces behind a thread like this hitting the four page mark :o :o.  Anyway, that aside, maybe you'd like to point out some business mathematics to your acquaintance/colleague (mate too?) who is 'high ranking in the IRFU'.
His organisation need a ground in Dublin because they are redeveloping their own ground, this will facilitate the playing of their home competitive fixtures.  There is one ground in Dublin which would suit their needs, the owners of said ground (call them the 3rd little piggy, but not as generous) knowing that they have what's known in economic parlance as a 'monopoly' position, decide to drive a bargain that maximises their revenue.  The rentors are (afaik) not bound to accept this deal, they can refuse, however, when their negotiators do their sums, they realise that they will be generating more income per game than ever before, or than they generate from any other venue, hence they decide to accept the deal they have been offered.  Tell him that's how negotiations work, and that whilst he may feel it's a bad deal (as he's entitled too), some even higher ranking IRFU men accepted the deal (presumably because they were happy with it).  Also, you should remind him, that for years now the poor FAI have been paying 15% of gross gate receipts to the IRFU for the rental of a totally inadequate stadium - so in effect one could equate the irfu with a slum landlord ;)