Maigh Eo -v- Doire, Ballina, 01.02.2009

Started by Barney, January 20, 2009, 08:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Seconds out - Round 1  ;D

Disappointed with the attitude to the FBD League - there are always benefits that can be gained by going out and winning matches.

Judgement is reserved though. The last two years have been extremely disappointing and JOM must start to regain the confidence of supporters from Sunday week.

Its not going to be easy to survive in Division 1 but four home games, and a trip to Galway mean that the fixture list has been kind. An opening win is a must.

Tubberman

It is very hard to know what to expect from Mayo this year. Based on the performances over the last two years, and the continuing uncertainly over who'll fill key positions on the team, it will be a more subdued and cautious outlook from Mayo supporters this year I think.
JOM is obviously frustrated at not being able to pick from a full deck for the FBD. He has a point, but his dismissive attitude to the competition surely wasn't lost on the players - you'd imagine it would have been more beneficial to the squad if every game was approached as must-win. But it is very much a bottom rung competition, and will be forgotten by Sunday week.
I'm not sure if the Derry game is must win. It will be the first serious outing of the year, and there is bound to be a lot of rustiness. The McKenna cup is far more competitive than the FBD, so Derry may be more up to speed. However, Mayo usually start the league fairly well and the fact that the match is in Ballina, a club ground, should be worth a couple of points.
I'll be travelling to Ballina hoping for a win, but not really expecting one.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

These are two teams that usually do well in the league and this should be a good game, home advantage will swing it for Mayo i think and I expect them to do quite well this year. I've said this before but i think Mayo posters are being far too harsh on JOM, if anything I think he is doing a very good job and I would expect Mayo to show improvement on the last two years. The problem with Mayo IMO is not the manager but the players, they simply don't have the extra bit of class up front to beat the top 4 in championship. And they aren't so far ahead of the other teams in the top 10-12 that they couldn't be beaten on any given day. It might be no harm for Mayo to go all out and try and win the league as they won't win Sam next year IMO.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zulu on January 20, 2009, 09:53:59 AM
These are two teams that usually do well in the league and this should be a good game, home advantage will swing it for Mayo i think and I expect them to do quite well this year. I've said this before but i think Mayo posters are being far too harsh on JOM, if anything I think he is doing a very good job and I would expect Mayo to show improvement on the last two years. The problem with Mayo IMO is not the manager but the players, they simply don't have the extra bit of class up front to beat the top 4 in championship. And they aren't so far ahead of the other teams in the top 10-12 that they couldn't be beaten on any given day. It might be no harm for Mayo to go all out and try and win the league as they won't win Sam next year IMO.

I disagree with you there Zula as regards us been harsh on o' mahony. yes some of us have questioned his decisions and whether he is fully focused on the mayo job but these are legitimate questions. Its funny that in mayo you seem to think that the manager is not the problem but the players while in cork its the opposite ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SidelineKick

I wouldn't think we'll be any more up to speed than Mayo.  the McKenna cup panel won't bring too many faces to the National League so there will be alot of boys that haven't played competitive football.  Looking forward to the match, probably more interested in what the team will be more than anything.  Some changes being made by Cassidy and it will be interesting to see what direction he takes us in.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Mayo4Sam

I wouldn't be too bother about non performance, in fairness theres not a lot of point in having must win games in January, i would say its a lot better to get a look at some players
Same for the league, lets face it if we win 3 games we will probably stay up and for me it would be more important to find players to tie down key positions
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Zulu

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 20, 2009, 10:10:39 AM
Quote from: Zulu on January 20, 2009, 09:53:59 AM

I disagree with you there Zula as regards us been harsh on o' mahony. yes some of us have questioned his decisions and whether he is fully focused on the mayo job but these are legitimate questions. Its funny that in mayo you seem to think that the manager is not the problem but the players while in cork its the opposite ;)

Ah now DR I said it's the CB who are the problem in Cork not Gerald :). But in all seriousness, JOM has an impressive record and IMO has done quite well in his two years, after all if Mayo showed a bit more composure or a had a bit more class in front of the posts last year ye probably would have beaten Tyrone. And IMO Tyrone would have a better squad than Mayo at the moment, so that was no mean feat. Anyway I won't hijack a thread about this national league game any further, I wish ye the best of luck this year and as a native of a primarily hurling county, Mayo are always my football county of choice.

the Deel Rover

any reason why you like to follow mayo Zulu ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Zulu

There's a few reasons DR, first off ye haven't won an AI in a long time, secondly ye usually play a nice brand of football, thirdly I've met a good few Mayo lads and generally found them to be dead on and finally and most importantly, ye are fanatical about yer football and seem genuinely passionate about the game. You could probably say the same about some other counties and I'd support those teams as well if they had a chance of winning the All Ireland but I've always had a particular gra for Mayo. Indeed I'll be looking for a new job soon and Mayo will be top of my list location wise (if I can get a job in Ireland that is).

Bogball XV

I'd fancy Mayo to win this game, we're going to be very experimental throughout the league this year, if we avoid relegation I'd imagine the new management team will be delighted, if not, I don't think they'll be too worried.  We have a pile of injuries, but that aside I think we'll be working on developing a game plan.  If we stay within 5 that might be a result ;)

the Deel Rover

well is there many of ye Derry lads coming down for the match . It could be a good time for a few of the derry and mayo posters to meet up for a few scoops
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

whiskeysteve

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 20, 2009, 12:07:17 PM
well is there many of ye Derry lads coming down for the match . It could be a good time for a few of the derry and mayo posters to meet up for a few scoops

wheres a good spot for scoops in Ballina?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

the Deel Rover

There is no shortage of pubs whiskeysteve , all these bars would be a five minute walk to the pitch. Liam Mc Hales pub Mcs Bar, The broken Jug , Brennans Bar to name a few 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

RedandGreenSniper

I'm not sure what we should be expecting from this game and the league in general.

If we were to field a team like this:
Clarke
A Higgins D Heaney L O'Malley
P Gardiner J Nallen T Cunniffe
R McGarrity T Parsons
B Padden A Dillon T Mortimer
C Mortimer A O'Malley A Moran

We might actually do well in the league and achieve some decent enough results but we all know thats not a team thats going to cut it in the championship.

Therefore we need to look at experimentation imho and while results will be important, I would not worry about going far in the league. Keep our Division 1 status and bring in new players who will be ready for championship, that would be the ideal.

For the Derry game I'd like to see a team like the following picked

D Clarke
K McLoughlin G Cafferkey S Drake
P Gardiner P Kelly D Vaughan
B Kelly T Parsons
A Moran A Dillon T Mortimer
C Mortimer B Moran M Sweeney.

Its an inexperienced defence, I'd agree, but that's the area where we need most surgery. Perhaps someone like Aidan Higgins or Liam O'Malley could be slotted into the full-back line for some experience but I'd be willing to give the three I've picked a go. Not sure what the story is with Nallen and Heaney but there's no rush with them yet anyhow.
Ger Cafferkey deserves an extended run at full-back, McLoughlin is the real deal, I reckon he'll be there for championship and Drake has definitely earned a shot, lets see how he goes.
Cunniffe is another option at wing-back. Chris Barrett too, when he's fully fit. While Trevor Howley is the other option at centre-back at the minute, but he's still injured.

McGarrity is just back from honeymoon, leave him on the line for a while. Billy Joe could easily start instead of Andy at 10, but I'd see how Andy gets on first. Dillon and Trevor will prob starts in these positions in championship. Inside I'd be a fan of Mikey Sweeney and he's definitely worth a go. Barry Moran has been showing up well in training games/challenges at full-forward. Try him there for an extended run and see how he gets on (why its only happening now is beyond me). Conor and Sweeney would be two perfect men to play off a big man.
Perhaps I'm leaving players out, I would hold Aidan O'Shea back yet, as with any of the minors from last year (except Robert Hennelly, different rules about overuse apply to goalkeepers). Let them play Under 21 and then maybe look at them.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Zulu

Kenneth O'Malley is back playing football, though I'm not sure if JOM has been in contact with him yet. He is a fine keeper though and well worth a place on the Mayo panel IMO.