Farrell: Keep Croke Park open to foreign games

Started by the milkman, December 21, 2008, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the milkman

From RTE.ie:

leading Leinster GAA official has supported the campaign to keep Croke Park open to non-GAA sports when the current deal concludes at the end of next year.

Tom Farrell, the former Leinster GAA PRO who is now serving as chairman of Westmeath county board, told the weekend Westmeath GAA convention that he favours an extension of the deal which has seen rugby and soccer internationals go ahead at GAA HQ.

Farrell said: 'Croke Park closes its gates to other sports at the end of 2009.

'The question is should it remain open to other sporting bodies who are prepared to pay us?

'The projected income from these outside events in 2009 will be in the region of €10m.

'In these recessionary times, finding €10m will be difficult with our gates shut. My attitude to this is very simple if you can't do a good turn, don't do a bad one.'

'I would support the campaign to keep Croke Park open.'

What you think of this?

If the gaa can yield €10 million euro annually, and pass at least 50% of this directly onto clubs, i would be supportive. Anything else, then it should revert to a gaa only facility.

Bud Wiser

They have called the Canal End the Davin Stand after the first President of the GAA who was as far as I know more of a runner than a hurler and footballer.  Why don't the put a track around it and run track and field events and bring back the A in GAA to HQ !  Would be nice to see an Irish attempt at an Irish record or a european one at Croker before a Leinster hurling final and help get more of a crowd than was at any of the games this year barring the final.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 21, 2008, 08:46:18 PM
They have called the Canal End the Davin Stand after the first President of the GAA who was as far as I know more of a runner than a hurler and footballer.  Why don't the put a track around it and run track and field events and bring back the A in GAA to HQ !  Would be nice to see an Irish attempt at an Irish record or a european one at Croker before a Leinster hurling final and help get more of a crowd than was at any of the games this year barring the final.
I concur wholeheartedly.

Does anyone know if the varioius harrier clubs are affiliated with the GAA?

I always thought they were but now, I am not sure...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tyrone Dreamer

What about at half time during big gaa games in croke park showing coverage of soccer/rugby on the big screen and giving some free promotion to local soccer/rugby clubs? Its all for the good of sport at the end of the day.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on December 21, 2008, 08:55:51 PM
What about at half time during big gaa games in croke park showing coverage of soccer/rugby on the big screen and giving some free promotion to local soccer/rugby clubs? Its all for the good of sport at the end of the day.
::)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stiffler

When is the work on Lansdowne due to be finished?

I can see the IRFU looking to use Croker for the 2010 6 nations, at least.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Maguire01

Surely if you aren't for soccer and rugby in SP, you'd object to concerts too. Well foreign bands anyway. I can't believe they're opening CP to Take That.

Tankie

I dont think Croke Park will be required by either sporting body but from a rugby point of view I would rather see rugby at LR ahead of Croke Park and I am sure the IRFU would prefer that too.

But for certain occasions I think the GAA would be crazy to refuse the option of extra cash at some stage down the line if either sporting body had a use for such a capacity!
Grand Slam Saturday!

the milkman

Would people be for croke park hosting a champions league final?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stiffler on December 21, 2008, 09:29:03 PM
When is the work on Lansdowne due to be finished?

Due to be open 2010.

As for CP it's a facility and a resource. The GAA should do what they like with it within reason and that includes leasing it out to other sporting organisations. I imagine those occasions will be far less regular after 2010 though but if it's needed then why not?

stephenite

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2008, 09:42:36 PM
Surely if you aren't for soccer and rugby in SP, you'd object to concerts too. Well foreign bands anyway. I can't believe they're opening CP to Take That.

Are you for real? Westlife and U2 are Ok but non-Irish bands are not?

Maguire01

Quote from: stephenite on December 21, 2008, 11:46:33 PM

I would have thought it was quite clear that i was taking the piss! It was in reference to 'foreign' sports. And Westlife are not ok under any circumstances.

stephenite

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 21, 2008, 11:51:01 PM
Quote from: stephenite on December 21, 2008, 11:46:33 PM

I would have thought it was quite clear that i was taking the piss! It was in reference to 'foreign' sports. And Westlife are not ok under any circumstances.

Phew

pintsofguinness

Christ are we going to have to listen to all this again and from the same people who were telling us, not so long ago, that they wanted only wanted Croker opened while Lansdowne was being redeveloped?  How the goal posts can move.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 22, 2008, 12:21:02 AM
Christ are we going to have to listen to all this again and from the same people who were telling us, not so long ago, that they wanted only wanted Croker opened while Lansdowne was being redeveloped?  How the goal posts can move.

I wcan see where you are coming from POG and personally i was always up for Croker being opened but once LR is back open I wouldn't care if Croker was opened or closed as I expect all Rugby games to be played in LR BUT I would keep it open as it is a great money maker for the GAA but i do not expect this debate to be as heated as i cant see the IRFU or FAI being too pushed either way.
Grand Slam Saturday!