American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: turk on April 03, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
I wonder is Cutler a header. Surprising that the Broncos didn't explore every avenue to retain him, given the superb year he has had.

why would you think that? if my team were shopping me around behind my back - I'd do the exact same

turk

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 03, 2009, 05:09:14 PM
Quote from: turk on April 03, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
I wonder is Cutler a header. Surprising that the Broncos didn't explore every avenue to retain him, given the superb year he has had.

why would you think that? if my team were shopping me around behind my back - I'd do the exact same

I'm speculating both as to why the team looked to trade him in the first place and as to why they didn't exhaust every route to keep him.

DrinkingHarp

From the sport stations in town the main reason the Bears got Cutler was Kyle Orton. The Broncos get an established QB who can run an offense and is 9 games over .500 as a starter. The 1st round picks will help set the Broncos for a few years down the road. Look for Mark Sanchez going to the Broncos with their 1st pick. Not a bad situation for the young QB, he will be tutored by Orton and developed to start in about 2 years then Orton will be a great backup.

Receivers for the Bears is a little shaky but the addition of Cutler elevates not only the Offense but the receivers also. Hester will open up the field for Brandon Lloyd (good hands & OK routes), Rasheed Davis (great hands and excellent route runner), Desmond Clark TE who can catch short/medium passes and Greg Olsen TE who is a TE with WR speed and great hands (like a Gonzales from KC). Matt Forte out of the backfield led all Bear receivers last years so there is another outlet. The Bears have a 3rd round pick where they could pickup a solid WR in the draft.

After having 49 different starting QB's since 1992 it will be great to know we are set at that position for the next 8+ years ;D ;D

The addition of Cutler helps the Bears defense by keeping the Offense on the field longer. The Def will be rested and now we should have leads in the latter stages of the games forcing the opponents to pass more which lets us blitz more and get more Interceptions.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 03, 2009, 08:39:37 PM

After having 49 different starting QB's since 1992 it will be great to know we are set at that position for the next 8+ years ;D ;D

Thats what Denver thought too  :P

declan85

Receivers for the Bears is a little shaky but the addition of Cutler elevates not only the Offense but the receivers also. Hester will open up the field for Brandon Lloyd (good hands & OK routes), Rasheed Davis (great hands and excellent route runner), Desmond Clark TE who can catch short/medium passes and Greg Olsen TE who is a TE with WR speed and great hands (like a Gonzales from KC). Matt Forte out of the backfield led all Bear receivers last years so there is another outlet. The Bears have a 3rd round pick where they could pickup a solid WR in the draft.

Dont forget about Earl Bennett, 3rd round pick in last years draft. Cutler was throwing to him for a year at Vanderbilt... The future looks good!!!
:) :) :)

thejuice

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on April 03, 2009, 10:48:05 PM

49! is that a record. it must be surely. Works out at 3 QB's a year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: thejuice on April 04, 2009, 12:05:02 AM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on April 03, 2009, 10:48:05 PM

49! is that a record. it must be surely. Works out at 3 QB's a year.

I typed it wrong there are only 42 since 92 ::)

Here they are since 79:

Starters 1979-2008
1979: Mike Phipps, Vince Evans, Bob Avellini
1980: Phipps, Evans
1981: Evans
1982: Bob Avellini, Jim McMahon
1983: McMahon, Evans
1984: McMahon, Avellini, Steve Fuller, Rusty Lisch, Greg Landry
1985: McMahon, Steve Fuller
1986: McMahon, Mike Tomczak, Steve Fuller, Doug Flutie
1987: McMahon, Tomczak
1988: McMahon, Tomczak, Jim Harbaugh
1989: Tomczak, Harbaugh
1990: Harbaugh, Tomczak
1991: Harbaugh
1992: Harbaugh, Peter Tom Willis, Will Furrer
1993: Harbaugh, Willis
1994: Erik Kramer, Steve Walsh
1995: Kramer 1996: Kramer, Dave Kreig
1997: Kramer, Rick Mirer
1998: Kramer, Steve Stenstrom, Moses Moreno
1999: Shane Matthews, Cade McNown, Jim Miller
2000: McNown, Matthews, Miller
2001: Miller, Matthews
2002: Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris
2003: Kordell Stewart, Chandler, Rex Grossman
2004: Grossman, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson
2005: Kyle Orton, Grossman
2006: Grossman
2007: Grossman, Brian Griese, Orton
2008: Orton, Grossman
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

The Claw

Plaxico released by Giants, crazy stuff going on.

magickingdom

spring training photo.... and the new yankee stadiun opened yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/12/sports/baseball/20090312-baseball-panoramas.html?ref=sports

red sox one is good

thejuice

Raiders signed Jeff Garcia. Good move by them I think he's a decent QB, probably doesnt get the respect he deserves. The lads on Total Access are wondering why they signed him when they have JaMarcus Russell, do they not see what we could all see that the lad is useless. He was doomed once he held out in his first year. Its not really a good idea unless you can turn out like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco and its certainly not a good idea to hold out on Al Davis.

Another thing I saw on TA was Osi Umenyura talking about Plaxico Burress. He said; "He(Burress) was just unlucky, it could have happened to any of us".

Wait a minute, so shooting yourself in the leg in a night club could happen to anyone!! I like Osi, he's a great player, but you'd have to wonder what sort of lads are in the Giants locker room.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteNick Adenhart, a rookie pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels, died in a car crash early Thursday morning, just hours after pitching in a game in Anaheim.

A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to ESPN.com that Adenhart had been killed in a car accident.

Wednesday night, Adenhart had pitched six scoreless innings, giving up seven hits, striking out five and walking three in just his fourth major league start.

According to multiple reports out of the Los Angeles area, three people were killed in the three-car crash in Fullerton, Calif. One person was reported to be seriously injured.

According to the Los Angeles Times, witnesses told police that the driver of a red minivan blew through a red light and hit a Mitsubishi carrying four people.

The Times reported that the minivan's driver ran from the scene, but was arrested about a mile away.

Sad news

magpie seanie

Delighted about the Cutler trade. Its really good business for the Bears. I think the Bears receivers aren't that bad and would expect a good improvement on offense next season. Would worry slightly about second season syndrome for Forte but you'd imagine a better pass attack should help him. Pace is a good addition too and last years first round pick Chris Willaims is like another new signing.

A good DB should be a target in the draft. Things got a bit light there at times last season.

mc_grens

John Madden has today announced his retirement from broadcasting. I for one will miss him. His partnership with Pat Summeral must surely go down as one of the best commentary duos in the history of any sport.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mc_grens on April 16, 2009, 04:28:28 PM
John Madden has today announced his retirement from broadcasting. I for one will miss him. His partnership with Pat Summeral must surely go down as one of the best commentary duos in the history of any sport.

No way!! Another tradition bites the dust. I love his voice, but recently he's been getting a few names wrong etc, a bit like our own Micheál.

We're all getting older lads, and announcements like that just remind you.

Puckoon

Jesus H AZ you must be really getting on in your years. :'(