American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

That's all well and good AZ but people will ask (rightly or wrongly) - what are they doing that the HAVEN'T got caught out on?

Syferus

I dunno if this is too much. If the organisation was clean to begin with it might be overly harsh but with the Patriots' track record you can see any administration losing their patience with them. I thought it was always likely that the Patriots would take a significant hit even though the owner/HC weren't implicated - in the end it's the organisation who gains the advantage and it's that organisation that is ultimately responsible for their employees' actions.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2015, 01:10:18 PM
I dunno if this is too much. If the organisation was clean to begin with it might be overly harsh but with the Patriots' track record you can see any administration losing their patience with them. I thought it was always likely that the Patriots would take a significant hit even though the owner/HC weren't implicated - in the end it's the organisation who gains the advantage and it's that organisation that is ultimately responsible for their employees' actions.

Ara you just hate Tom Brady and his seed, breed and generation and everyone who ever played for the Patriots and come to think of it Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Leitrim, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone as well. So there!

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2015, 02:24:12 PM

Ara you just hate Tom Brady and his seed, breed and generation and everyone who ever played for the Patriots and come to think of it Mayo, Galway, Sligo, Leitrim, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone as well. So there!

Are you saying I like Westmeath?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Syferus on May 12, 2015, 03:18:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2015, 02:24:12 PM

Are you saying I like Westmeath?

You see - you hate everyone!!!!!

cadhlancian

Nearly every media outlet across the country believes the penalties to be excessive. The NFL have zero rights to Brady's cell phone , sweet FA, yet this was a large part in him receiving the 4 games, not cooperating. As someone alluded to earlier, this is simply Goodell flexing. Waiting a few days after the report was released and then trying to gauge public opinion in order to levy a penalty. Laughable that a billion dollar industry operates in such a way.
Btw, slightly off subject. The Pats will f**k NBC and the NFL in the rear end on opening night. There will be no opening night party , no banner dropped, it will be awkward.

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 12, 2015, 09:09:58 AM
I don't think what they've achieved is tainted by this, but throw in the Spygate as well and you at least have an unsavoury element to the way they go about their business.

What they have done is phenomonal, and they don't need to be letting air out of footballs, or spying on the New York F**king Jets. Belichik has grown an empire there, in fairness to him, and Brady is his totem. For Belichik and Brady to be caught cheating in two separate incidents is disappointing to say the least.

*However* the NFL are absolutely making things up as they go, and are a complete joke. Goodell has been good for the league in a lot of ways, but his approach to discipline and penalties is ridiculous. This is far too big for what the offence actually was, and removing a draft pick is in many ways worse than missing Brady for 4 games. What precedence was used for this? I can see the appeal reducing it, although the appeals process is flawed in the NFL as Goodell hears the appeals, essentially, as well. I know the process has changed slightly recently, but I don't think Goodell will be far away from any decision.

It is interesting what becomes the norm though, and how outraged people get. They are up in arms over this, and yet how many players in the league are currently playing despite having PEDs discovered in their bodies? How many served pathetic suspensions? And yet bulked up players must be the single most dangerous aspect to another player's safety, and yet because it is now sort of accepted, this deflate gate thing is getting more air time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the Pat, but I admire what they've done in the free agent era. It's incredible. I think deflating balls was stupid, sly and unnecessary and is probably a bit of glimpse into their mentality and ethical compass, but does it taint all their achievements? Not at all in my view.

Would agree with most of that, especially the making it up as they go along but on saying that what would have been an appropriate punishment?

Things to take into to consideration are; this is the second time they have been caught, the actual deflating and then the cover up. The team rightly gets punished through a fine and loss of draft picks (& Brady for 4 games) and Brady then needs punished for his part which he is, through his 4 game suspension (I'm guessing one for his involvement and 3 for the cover up). All in all I think the punishment is not to far off. Saying that it will probably be reduced to 2 on appeal.

magpie seanie

You must hate the Patriots too. Isn't that right Cadhlachain?

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2015, 07:36:42 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on May 12, 2015, 05:04:43 AM
Badly tainted my hole Seany. You can't look at anything objectively ever, it's only ever based on your hatred of said player/ team. You hate the Pats/ Brady, the Packers/Rodgers. Throw Liverpool/Arsenal / City and Chelsea  into that as well....
Tainted my hole....

I hope you're ready with the personal attacks and accusations for the hordes of people who agree with my viewpoint.

Hey what the hell is wrong with Rodgers, he is one of the good guys!

As for the packers, they are one well run organization and the only city owned non profit in professional sports.

Still have butt ache over Aaron Rodger...jeez.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Emergency, Ward 10!  Can't believe the Cavs beat the Bulls (106-101).  Le Bron was a horse, and amazed that Kyrie Irving played so well.  Gasol would have been huge had he been fit enough to play. Go Cavs!

J70

Quote from: cadhlancian on May 12, 2015, 04:25:15 PM
Nearly every media outlet across the country believes the penalties to be excessive. The NFL have zero rights to Brady's cell phone , sweet FA, yet this was a large part in him receiving the 4 games, not cooperating. As someone alluded to earlier, this is simply Goodell flexing. Waiting a few days after the report was released and then trying to gauge public opinion in order to levy a penalty. Laughable that a billion dollar industry operates in such a way.
Btw, slightly off subject. The Pats will f**k NBC and the NFL in the rear end on opening night. There will be no opening night party , no banner dropped, it will be awkward.

Given that Brady claimed not to even know one of the "culprits" was, they have every right to ask to check his phone and text records to see if he was lying. That he refused point blank suggests he had something to hide. It's always the cover up...

Oraisteach

Did anyone watch Jeopardy this evening to see Aaron Rodgers crush Shark Tank 'Mr. Wonderful' Ken O'Leary?  Don't know if he was guilty of Inflategate, but fun to watch him pummel he of the inflated ego.

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 13, 2015, 04:58:59 AM
Did anyone watch Jeopardy this evening to see Aaron Rodgers crush Shark Tank 'Mr. Wonderful' Ken O'Leary?  Don't know if he was guilty of Inflategate, but fun to watch him pummel he of the inflated ego.

O'Leary is an absolute asshole!

Rodgers is a smart fecker a well as being the best yankee footballer on the planet.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

So, according to the Pats, the word "Deflator" refers to someone's weight loss! Haven't really taken a lot of interest in this 'scandal,' but I loathe lying especially when it's brazen and insulting, so for having brass canuggis they should be walloped with the full penalty.  Lying Meechigan!!

Club Rossa

Gasol back for the Bulls tonight thankfully.Badly missed him the last 2 games.