American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: gallsman on January 18, 2015, 11:34:54 PM
After the first three quarters he had, that is some seriously clutch play from Wilson. Balls of steel.

Quote from: andoireabu on January 18, 2015, 11:32:59 PM
Tell me this. Why is it golden goal in overtime? Seattle win the toss and because they score green bay dont get a chance even though there is 12 mins left! Shite way to end a game

It's controversial but better than the old rule where a field goal could win it. Don't agree with it myself.

At the very least give green bay a drive to see if they can match what seattle did. Seems an unfair way to end it all.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Minder

Quote from: David McKeown on January 18, 2015, 11:50:25 PM
Never bought the hype on Rodgers. Good qb but not great. Brady wouldn't have been stopped on the 1 yard line twice and ultimately that cost GB.

On Jeff Reinbold I think he's superb and a nice bloke too ( I followed him on Twitter during the week and he tweeted me to thank me then answered a load of football questions quickly thereafter), not fussed on Reynolds although much better than he used to be. Liked Nick Halling back in the day too.

Not sure you can call it hype David, by any definition of the word he has been great so far.

In 7 full seasons he has 226 TDs 57 INT,  QB rating of 106.

Super Bowl winner / Super Bowl MVP. League MVP (with another likely to follow in two weeks)

Before last night his playoff rating was over 100 and in the top 5 all time I believe.

If he didn't play another down he would still go in as a first ballot Hall Of Famer, in my opinion.

When he is finished I see him being viewed in top 5 all time great QBs.

As for Brady getting in from the 1yd line, McCarthy is calling the plays not Rodgers. If Belichick was coaching GB last night they would be preparing for a Super Bowl appearance.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

Quote from: Minder on January 19, 2015, 06:33:21 PM
Never bought the hype on Rodgers. Good qb but not great. Brady wouldn't have been stopped on the 1 yard line twice and ultimately that cost GB.

On Jeff Reinbold I think he's superb and a nice bloke too ( I followed him on Twitter during the week and he tweeted me to thank me then answered a load of football questions quickly thereafter), not fussed on Reynolds although much better than he used to be. Liked Nick Halling back in the day too.

Not sure you can call it hype David, by any definition of the word he has been great so far.

Super Bowl winner / Super Bowl MVP. League MVP (with another likely to follow in two weeks)

Before last night his playoff rating was over 100 and in the top 5 all time I believe.

If he didn't play another down he would still go in as a first ballot Hall Of Famer, in my opinion.

As for Brady getting in from the 1yd line, McCarthy is calling the plays not Rodgers. If Belichick was coaching GB last night they would be preparing for a Super Bowl appearance.

In terms of stats and measurables Rodgers is an excellent QB but at the end of the day his job is as much to manage/win games as it is to run up stats I think had Brady been under centre he'd have found away to score regardless who was play calling. Also there's been a lot of talk recently that Rodgers has Carte Blanche as far as play calling goes on offensive in Green Bay. . No doubt Rodgers is a first round hall of famer but when it comes to who I would want under centre in a big game or big drive Id take Brady and a host of others in front of Rodgers any day. I don't buy the hype that Rodgers is the best of his generation. Don't get me wrong he's still very very good but he's not in that top echelon for me. I noticed last night he's only 28% on game winning drives in his career. Quite a bit lower than the other 3 QB's last night.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

A lot of discussion here today about the Patriots tampering with the balls. Not too shocking, if true,  given their history,  but what is shocking is that if they were to be found guilty,  the penalty would be draft picks, NOT forfeiture.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on January 19, 2015, 08:10:07 PM
A lot of discussion here today about the Patriots tampering with the balls. Not too shocking, if true,  given their history,  but what is shocking is that if they were to be found guilty,  the penalty would be draft picks, NOT forfeiture.

The Belichick regime really is the most hateful in the NFL. This idea of 'The Patriot Way' that's rammed down fans' and players' throats with overbearing rules and self-promotion and yet they are the biggest and most agregious cheaters in the NFL. Class act they are not.

andoireabu

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2015, 08:24:58 PM

The Belichick regime really is the most hateful in the NFL. This idea of 'The Patriot Way' that's rammed down fans' and players' throats with overbearing rules and self-promotion and yet they are the biggest and most agregious cheaters in the NFL. Class act they are not.
Could you explain to a rookie like me why the patriots would want to use deflated balls? Can't  think where the advantage for them is or why the colts didn't bring it to attention during the game.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Minder

Quote from: andoireabu on January 19, 2015, 09:07:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2015, 08:24:58 PM

Could you explain to a rookie like me why the patriots would want to use deflated balls? Can't  think where the advantage for them is or why the colts didn't bring it to attention during the game.

Easier to handle/throw and catch for the receivers in bad weather.

Puckoon

Easier for both sets of receivers and quarterbacks to catch/throw? Or just for the patriots?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2015, 09:16:19 PM
Easier for both sets of receivers and quarterbacks to catch/throw? Or just for the patriots?

Ball boys would be Patriots. It would be easy to have a different ball for the Colts offense, *if* the pats were so inclined. It would be sort of like giving a dry sliotar to only the home free taker.

Syferus

Given that the Patriots are the home team the balls were their responsibility after the NFL gives them the (I think 12) match balls before kickoff, the Pats could easily have given the Colts the still-blown up balls when they had the ball. We'll see if anything comes of it.

AZOffaly

It does sound like a Belichek type stunt, but then again that's probably why the rumour has surfaced. It only has to seem believable to grow legs.

Given that the Pats basically ran it down their throats, they probably could have played with the ball from the Lombardi trophy.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on January 19, 2015, 09:19:18 PM

Given that the Patriots are the home team the balls were their responsibility after the NFL gives them the (I think 12) match balls before kickoff, the Pats could easily have given the Colts the still-blown up balls when they had the ball. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Each team supplies six to the league in advance of game I believe.

AZOffaly

No, I think he's right. Home team provides 12.

Minder

Quote from: David McKeown on January 19, 2015, 06:49:06 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 19, 2015, 06:33:21 PM

In terms of stats and measurables Rodgers is an excellent QB but at the end of the day his job is as much to manage/win games as it is to run up stats I think had Brady been under centre he'd have found away to score regardless who was play calling. Also there's been a lot of talk recently that Rodgers has Carte Blanche as far as play calling goes on offensive in Green Bay. . No doubt Rodgers is a first round hall of famer but when it comes to who I would want under centre in a big game or big drive Id take Brady and a host of others in front of Rodgers any day. I don't buy the hype that Rodgers is the best of his generation. Don't get me wrong he's still very very good but he's not in that top echelon for me. I noticed last night he's only 28% on game winning drives in his career. Quite a bit lower than the other 3 QB's last night.

.......Was gonna type fairly long post that among other things W-L isn't a QB stat like baseball, it seems to be creeping into conversations now though, a QB job isn't to win games, too many other facets of the game determine that, QB job is to throw TDs and not INT, Brady hasn't won a SB in ten years, he is 9-8 in playoffs since last SB win if you want to use the W-L stat & 0-2 in SBs (and i think Bardy is one of the best ever )but he has also had the best ever head coach putting together a roster year after year.........but couldn't be arsed  ;)

We will agree to disagree !

People are probably getting fed up reading my defence of Rodgers

Minder

Sorry 11-8 counting this years two playoff games