American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 25, 2014, 10:59:06 PM
Quote from: declan85 on April 14, 2014, 12:31:58 PM
Touchdown of the year and its only April :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgsObrao2E

Pretty sure he didn't get his feet down in bounds. Incomplete pass.  ;D

Touching the boards count as being in the end zone - touchdown is the correct call.

thejuice

Arena football doesn't count.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 26, 2014, 12:21:19 AM

Touching the boards count as being in the end zone - touchdown is the correct call.

I figured that but....I refer you to the last poster.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2014, 11:18:55 PM

Agreed.  End of Arena Football discussion.

On to weightier issues...any merit in the cheerleaders lawsuit within the NFL? 

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 27, 2014, 02:28:19 AM

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on April 27, 2014, 09:12:08 AM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 27, 2014, 02:28:19 AM

If there is a little bit of jiggle in the scope of a cheerleader I feel the team has a duty to enforce their standards, you don't have to meet the standards if you don't want that job.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Capt Pat

The NFL draft has been going on this weekend. Starting on Thursday the Texans took defensive end Jedeavon Clowney with the first pick of the draft. The Browns drafted a new quarterback Johnny Manziel with their second first round pick. The Vikings did the same and drafted Teddy Bridgewater as their new QB.

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 10, 2014, 08:38:08 PM
The NFL draft has been going on this weekend. Starting on Thursday the Texans took defensive end Jedeavon Clowney with the first pick of the draft. The Browns drafted a new quarterback Johnny Manziel with their second first round pick. The Vikings did the same and drafted Teddy Bridgewater as their new QB.

It looked like a great first day for the Browns only to see last night that Josh Gordon is looking at a season long ban next season  :(

Raiders seem to have drafted well for a change.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

It never fails to amaze me that a player can be banned for a year for smoking weed - but a player who is arrested for assault gets a 4 game ban

I know they are talking about relaxing the laws regarding mary j - so maybe there's hope yet.

In other sc**bag news ........

QuoteSportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
BREAKING: Aaron Hernandez indicted for an additional double homicide in Boston in 2012, per @ABC & multiple reports.

tyroneman

Quote.   Raiders seem to have drafted well for a change.     

On paper the best Raiders draft in a decade or more....

gallsman

Two blowout wins for the Spurs in three nights away against LeBron and co in Miami leaves them just one win shy of a fifth title, all of which have come with Pop and Duncan. They really are one of the most magnificent organisations in pro sports. Expertly run, expertly coached.

Miami perhaps starting to slow down a bit. Wade is beginning to look old very quickly and even LeBron can't do it all himself. They simply don't have the quality of role players the Spurs do to keep the play at a high level when spreading the minutes.

Rumours abound that Miami's big three are considering opting out and re-signing for less in order to accommodate Melo moving over from the Knicks. Would be an insanely talented lineup but just can't see it happening.

J70

How would it work? Melo hogs the ball, with all player and ball movement stopping once he gets it. This is usually ok in NY because he is far and away the Knicks best player and and a superb shooter, but would he fit in with the Heat?

Spurs have been incredible to watch. As a Knicks fan you can only watch wistfully as they move the ball around like lightning, opening up space to eventually find an man for a wide open shot. It's killing the Heat, a team who are looking worn out, as you say.

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2014, 12:43:00 PM
How would it work? Melo hogs the ball, with all player and ball movement stopping once he gets it. This is usually ok in NY because he is far and away the Knicks best player and and a superb shooter, but would he fit in with the Heat?

Spurs have been incredible to watch. As a Knicks fan you can only watch wistfully as they move the ball around like lightning, opening up space to eventually find an man for a wide open shot. It's killing the Heat, a team who are looking worn out, as you say.

That's half the argument - it wouldn't work without big changes. Melo would be fully aware he wasn't #1 and would have to adjust his game accordingly. He's also a fat lazy bastard on defence - something the Heat just wouldn't tolerate. By all accounts though, he and LeBron have expressed interest in playing with each other.

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on June 13, 2014, 01:10:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2014, 12:43:00 PM

That's half the argument - it wouldn't work without big changes. Melo would be fully aware he wasn't #1 and would have to adjust his game accordingly. He's also a fat lazy b**tard on defence - something the Heat just wouldn't tolerate. By all accounts though, he and LeBron have expressed interest in playing with each other.
It would be a horrible pickup for the Heat. Melo can only ever be #1 on his team.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on June 13, 2014, 10:15:31 AM
Two blowout wins for the Spurs in three nights away against LeBron and co in Miami leaves them just one win shy of a fifth title, all of which have come with Pop and Duncan. They really are one of the most magnificent organisations in pro sports. Expertly run, expertly coached.

Miami perhaps starting to slow down a bit. Wade is beginning to look old very quickly and even LeBron can't do it all himself. They simply don't have the quality of role players the Spurs do to keep the play at a high level when spreading the minutes.

Rumours abound that Miami's big three are considering opting out and re-signing for less in order to accommodate Melo moving over from the Knicks. Would be an insanely talented lineup but just can't see it happening.

It's rare you see a team with that level of unselfishness & team first attitude. Would love to see Duncan get another title, one of the best to ever play the game and about as humble as you can get in American sports.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"