American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on April 17, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Many here follow the NBA? I've got really into it in last two years or so. Very hard to see anyone stopping LeBron and co. Spurs and Thunder will battle for the West again. I sneakily fancied Denver after their run until they lost Gallo. No matter who comes out of the West, they won't have it against the Heat. OKC I think are a downgrade on last year - they should have traded Westbrook, not Harden.

The NBA is horrible until the playoffs, these boys dont show up until the second half of the season and college ball is far more popular.

Have to say I love the regular season too!

With Liverpool utter piss, Knicks have been finally doing their bit to give me something to shout for over the winter for the first time in a decade!

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2013, 10:41:59 PM
Quote from: stew on April 17, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Many here follow the NBA? I've got really into it in last two years or so. Very hard to see anyone stopping LeBron and co. Spurs and Thunder will battle for the West again. I sneakily fancied Denver after their run until they lost Gallo. No matter who comes out of the West, they won't have it against the Heat. OKC I think are a downgrade on last year - they should have traded Westbrook, not Harden.

The NBA is horrible until the playoffs, these boys dont show up until the second half of the season and college ball is far more popular.

Have to say I love the regular season too!

With Liverpool utter piss, Knicks have been finally doing their bit to give me something to shout for over the winter for the first time in a decade!

Melo won't lead them to a title though - his pass to JR Smith to make it a five point game late in the 4th last night was his first assist of the night! For such an elite scorer who's clearly incredibly talented, I just can't warm to him. Maybe because he's fat :)

Carmen Stateside

It seemed like after his first few shots he felt he had the beating of Green/Bass every time.  Was frustrating to watch him take on so many tough shots.  Kidd for me was the difference, couple of big threes in the first half to keep them in the game and three big turnovers in the fourth.  Knicks ball movement will be better when Pablo Prigioni comes back, add to that a fit Tyson Chandler and things not looking bad.

Carmen Stateside

Bulls were an embarrassment, Lopez and Williams destroyed them.  Noah played for Bulls but was well of the pace.

J70

I thought Melo and JR got back into that rut, at least a bit, that they were in back in Jan-Feb, when once the ball reached either of them, everything stopped and they ended up taking hard shots. They need to keep the ball moving, like they've done over the past month, and JR needs to keep driving at the basket. They might get the likes of Novak open for decent three point attempts, not like last night. Not easy obviously, when Kevin Garnett is in the way, but by keeping the ball moving they're more likely to pull him out, at least part of the time.

gallsman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 21, 2013, 10:17:36 AM
Bulls were an embarrassment, Lopez and Williams destroyed them.  Noah played for Bulls but was well of the pace.

They'll need more than 13 minutes out of him if they're to get anywhere. Still, regardless of what happens, think the bulls can be proud of their season without Rose.

magpie seanie

Funny first round of the draft. No QB or RB in round 1! The Bears pick, Kyle Long, is not that exciting but I think it will prove a good one. Basically they're going to keep Cutler upright this year and find out for once and for all if he is the man. Round 2 looks very interesting with plenty of good prospects still available. I think from a Bears viewpoint there are 3 LB's left (Minter, Te'o and Arthur Brown) who would be good picks to potentially fill the Urlacher void.

AZOffaly

This draft was very much about the Lines (O and D). The Cardinals would have loved a good tackle, but a guard is good too, and he was the best guy left at #7. I'm hoping they continue to work on the O-Line in the remaining rounds. Palmer and Mendenhall are decent, Floyd and Fitz can be a great 1-2 receiving punch, and the defence is ok. They can't become competitive in a tough division (amazing. Remember the 'NFC Worst' moniker the West had to deal with) if they can't keep their QB healthy or run the ball to take the pressure off the Pass Blocking.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2013, 11:46:15 AM
Funny first round of the draft. No QB or RB in round 1! The Bears pick, Kyle Long, is not that exciting but I think it will prove a good one. Basically they're going to keep Cutler upright this year and find out for once and for all if he is the man. Round 2 looks very interesting with plenty of good prospects still available. I think from a Bears viewpoint there are 3 LB's left (Minter, Te'o and Arthur Brown) who would be good picks to potentially fill the Urlacher void.

Biggest surprise for me was that neither Geno Smith nor Matt Barkley were drafted yet, although there was a QB taken Seanie, The Bills took a lad called EJ Manuel from Florida State. Smith wasn't too happy. He's not attending tonight, and is going home :D

Norf Tyrone

See this draft thing. What happens if your pick doesn't want to go there for reasons such as he wants to go to a 'better side', more money, better contract etc?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 26, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 26, 2013, 11:46:15 AM

Biggest surprise for me was that neither Geno Smith nor Matt Barkley were drafted yet, although there was a QB taken Seanie, The Bills took a lad called EJ Manuel from Florida State. Smith wasn't too happy. He's not attending tonight, and is going home :D

Oh yeah - forgot about him. That was a kick in the nuts for Smith and also Ryan Nassib whose college coach is now at the Bills.

I'd also be interested in answers to NT's question. Open to correction but isn't there some sort of structure for rookie salaries so that shouldn't be an issue?

the onion bag

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 26, 2013, 02:03:07 PM
See this draft thing. What happens if your pick doesn't want to go there for reasons such as he wants to go to a 'better side', more money, better contract etc?

Eli Manning to the Chargers 2004 is probably the closest you'll get to this scenario in recent times.

GalwayBayBoy

First time since 1963 that no running-back was taken in the 1st round of the draft. Guess it shows the direction the NFL is headed in. Unless the running-back is an amazing talent, teams obviously feel they can fill that position with productive players from further down the draft.

thejuice

The falcons did most of the leg work in free agency.

IN
Osi Umenura (Gmen)
Steven Jackson (Rams)

OUT
John Abraham
Michael Turner

A bit sad that Turner is gone and I rate him higher than Jackson but Smith/Dimitroff wants to move away from a big bruising running game to something more versatile. To be fair I think Smith or the OC were a bit unimaginative in their use of Turner leading to a lot of 4th and short failures where their only idea is to run the big man up the middle as if he can move mountains (which he did until he physically broke down).

Osi will be great, bringing two superbowl rings into the dressing room. Im confident the falcons will make the playoffs again but the NFC south will be tough with a revitalised Saints team.

I think we will fill some gaps in the secondary in this draft and maybe a linebacker or Tightend who can get one year learning from Tony Gonzales.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

I disagree about Turner v. Steven Jackson. I think Jackson has more left in the tank and can catch passes out of the backfield too which Turner never could. Matt Ryan/Julio Jones/Roddy White will mean defenses can't just key in on S-Jax either, unlike recent years. With Jacquizz Rogers and Snelling also in the mix it will be a potent ground game.

Umenyiora - upgrade on Abraham assuming he can get back close to his best.