Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: J70 on April 10, 2012, 07:11:01 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on April 06, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 06, 2012, 03:40:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 06, 2012, 03:04:25 PM
Is this the Ken Burns series?

If so, its superb, as have all the documentary series made by the Burns brothers.

That's the one....top class.

The series is brilliant but PBS have absolutely massacred it in the editing. They've only included about half the original series with each episode about an hour long compared to at least two originally and they've managed to leave out some pretty important stuff

Its currently available on Netflix on their online service. No idea if they've edited it. Surprised at PBS though as they're usually excellent.

Me too. I have it on DVD so realised there was stuff missing, but it got even worse in some episodes that referred to things then ignored them like the Dodgers winning the World Series in '55 and game six of the '75 World Series at Fenway Park when Cartlon Fisk hit the home run. They even managed to leave out the Black Sox

Muck Savage

So these lads are in the Super bowl semi-final so to speak, they get paid thousands each week so how much do you think the extra "bounty" on a lads head motivates them? The actual "Bounty" here is tiny compared to what they get paid on a weekly basis and they may never get a chance to play in a Super Bowl so I'd find it hard to believe that this small amount of cash would be motivating to them. Maybe having their name up in the dressing room as the lad that bust open player X would be more of a motivator but that will be there even without the bounty.
I'm not saying this bounty system is OK but just find it hard to see how it will get a lad more motivated than he should already be.

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 07, 2012, 06:40:10 PM
That is true to some extent but there is a price to pay for playing in a big money business like the NFL.

NFl chief Goodell is cleaning up the dark side of the game and the Saints got caught running a bounty system so they are going to be hung out to dry. It is a big money media business and the Saints are going to suffer because of that reality there are cameras and sound recording equipment every where
and the NFL will face massive lawsuits from injured and broke players beccause of this.

They are lucky Brett Favre isn't broke because he would have a big lawsuit from his treatment in the 09 NFC championship game.

Quote from: stew on April 07, 2012, 03:16:40 PM
The only player I ever saw take it handy on an opponent when he had him dead to rights was the late, great Reggie White, he was so good he literally jumped over player to get to the QB, and once there, he wrapped him up and dropped to the ground without injuring him.

Speeches like the one being banded about on tv and the web are the norm, they happen all over the country and if everyone is trying to be a human highlight reel where is the problem?

The unfortunately named saints simply got caught saying and doing what others have done for decades, the whole thing is hypocrisy, period, end of!

Muck Savage

Anyone see the Sharks/Blues bust up Saturday evening in the Hockey, round 2 today. Some hammering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dN0kF_zif8&feature=youtube_gdata

magpie seanie

NFL schedule out. Really like da Bears chances though they have a lot of short weeks. NFC North could be even tighter this year.

AZOffaly

Did anyone see the Flyers and the Pens bust up in game 3? It went on all night. Joe Duffy would have a stroke.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2012, 01:38:00 PM
Did anyone see the Flyers and the Pens bust up in game 3? It went on all night. Joe Duffy would have a stroke.

The  NHL playoffs have been mental this year. Some amount of fighting going on with an odd bit of hockey thrown in.

Even Sidney Crosby has been scrapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuPCSp5X1I

AZOffaly

Derrytresk and Dromid must feel hard done by :)

Gabriel_Hurl

magpie seanie

They could get get Brian Cody to guest coach with those outfits!

thejuice

Since I will be over in San Francisco this November and I saw the Rams playing Wembley I thought great, I wont bother with that.

Schedule comes out and the only viable game for me to go see is the 49ers against the feckin' Rams. Typical.

Chargers & Raiders are on the road that week. Still I'm sure it'll be good craic in the car park before hand. Are tickets easy to get on general sale?

Whats the weather line in California in November?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Quote from: thejuice on April 19, 2012, 01:09:43 PM
Since I will be over in San Francisco this November and I saw the Rams playing Wembley I thought great, I wont bother with that.

Schedule comes out and the only viable game for me to go see is the 49ers against the feckin' Rams. Typical.

Chargers & Raiders are on the road that week. Still I'm sure it'll be good craic in the car park before hand. Are tickets easy to get on general sale?

Whats the weather line in California in November?

49ers and Rams might be a good game though juice. Well into the season and a divisional rivalry. I'd expect the Rams to be fairly good this year.

thejuice

I forgot they were in the same division. Hope that doesn't cause ticket demand to go through the roof. Would like to have decent seats.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Oraisteach

Im elated.  Some pundits have the Browns openiing 0-13.  Can't wait for that first pick next year.

Minder

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 19, 2012, 02:59:57 PM
Im elated.  Some pundits have the Browns openiing 0-13.  Can't wait for that first pick next year.

Yeah can't wait for another Courtney Brown or Tim Couch !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

The Browns will be ok next year, unless they take a QB? I would be more worried if I was a Colts fan.