Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 09, 2018, 05:36:22 PM
talking to a disgruntled longstanding volunteer coach today who was telling me the Gaelfast coaching positions required 3 years PAID coaching experience. He has been coaching for longer than this and feels he is losing out because of doing his coaching voluntarily. This has to be wrong surely? He has lots of coaching qualifications too which again he did on his own time.

Surely qualifications and experience should override whether you have been paid before or not? This is discrimination against volunteers - please someone tell me what he told me is wrong.......

Was that specified in the application form that they were looking coaches who've been paid and doing coaching as a full time job?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Yes 3 years paid experience part of essential criteria

Derryboy99

Quote from: farset on December 09, 2018, 05:52:24 PM
Quote from: Derryboy99 on December 09, 2018, 05:20:49 PM
Told you boys Bellaghy wouldent be a push over. Lorcan Brady and Paul Cassidy hard stooped and Conleth McShane that attacking threat from half back! Dunloy never looked liked even shaping and if it wasn't for a penalty that was scored by a rebound it would of been embarrassing for them. Bellaghy should go on and win it now in fairness but cross will take a stopping too. Dunloy probably weakest side in it.

You sound a bit like a bad winner. You came on here solely to talk about Bellaghy and Dunloy a week or so ago. At least you'll now head off to the Armagh thread (if you haven't already been there).

We'll done Bellaghy Wolfe Tones and hard luck to the proud young men of Dunloy.

In no way a bad winner? I'm literally pointing out my prediction from the middle of the week? I didn't no that was exactly a crime but sure. Very much so hard luck to dunloy I'm sure they trained hard and prepared well for the game but it didn't pan out. I'm sure they will be strong on the minor count come Wednesday night at u21 game

breakingball

someone talking some sense for a change

Quote from:  :D on December 06, 2018, 10:37:14 AM
One eejit on a forum does not represent an entire club so I would be reluctant to chastise the club over one person...

breakingball

Unlucky gooch

Quote from: The gooch on December 06, 2018, 11:18:45 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 06, 2018, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 06, 2018, 10:37:14 AM
One eejit on a forum does not represent an entire club so I would be reluctant to chastise the club over one person...

agreed, my post was directed at the poster and not the club.

im like everyone else who was very happy to see them win at the weekend. would love to see them go all the way.

aye fair play to them, always good to have an ulster winner, great achievement!

for what its worth I don't think they woulda won the u21 anyway, as I said other week, it will be some team to stop creggans forwards. creggan dunloy final for me

breakingball

You can all moan and cry about St Endas winning the intermediate but it happened so get over it.

If they were beat would anyone have complained that they shouldn't have been in it?

They aren't the first div1 team to do it, in fact it happens most years and they certainly wont be the last.

Will gort na mona play senior championship next year? I'm gona guess no.

Until Antrim align league and championship like in Tyrone then this will keep happening.

I do think we handled the whole u21 situation poorly but circumstances and priorities kept changing after we won each game in Ulster.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on December 09, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
Yes 3 years paid experience part of essential criteria

So the disgruntled friend you know applied for a job without having the essential criteria?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

east down gael

It's strange that naomh eanna get people in Antrim saying they shouldn't be playing in intermediate.no one else in Ulster has even mentioned it.with all respect to Antrim football,playing division one in your county does not mean you are guaranteed to win Ulster intermediate.they played intermediate as they hadn't won the championship at that grade to move up to senior.that makes perfect sense to me.

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Fair play to Bellaghy yesterday they were the better team and fully deserved the win and I hope they go all the way

Tough to take but with a good few of them  involved wednesday night against Rossa they wont be feeling sorry for themselves they will be ready to go again with hopefully a better outcome

country bumpkin

Was impressed by St Brigid's yesterday......they have improved a lot from last year, and will prove worthy finalists....

imtommygunn

Quote from: east down gael on December 10, 2018, 01:26:17 AM
It's strange that naomh eanna get people in Antrim saying they shouldn't be playing in intermediate.no one else in Ulster has even mentioned it.with all respect to Antrim football,playing division one in your county does not mean you are guaranteed to win Ulster intermediate.they played intermediate as they hadn't won the championship at that grade to move up to senior.that makes perfect sense to me.

It's only a couple of begrudgers and hard to know whether they are on the wind up or not so not sure that it's reflective really. Most people are happy for them. Most division 1 teams in antrim wouldn't win ulster intermediate anyway lol.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Told you boys Bellaghy wouldent be a push over. Lorcan Brady and Paul Cassidy hard stooped and Conleth McShane that attacking threat from half back! Dunloy never looked liked even shaping and if it wasn't for a penalty that was scored by a rebound it would of been embarrassing for them. Bellaghy should go on and win it now in fairness but cross will take a stopping too. Dunloy probably weakest side in it.

we were beat, and well beat at that, by the team that will probably win the competition. they are a very good team and have 5 derry minors in their squad and were well worth their win.

our boys looked exhausted in the final 15 mins, something of which was pointed out to me as well by Bellaghy supporters i was standing with watching the match. that was their first competitive game since their county final where as we have had a multitude of games. one of our lads told me sat evening when i asked him was he looking forward to Sunday that he was knackered and sore. they now have another game Wednesday night to play in.

i know people will say things like its a good complaint to have or your victims of your own success but at some point there has to be some sort of common sense that looks at the timing of events like the U21 football so as it doesn't be run off during the middle of the ulster minor hurling and football competitions.

all 15 of our minors are dual players and some of them are U16's so they have played for 4 teams for the duration of this season. i just feel that all our championships need run off before the schools start back again so that young players are actually given a break.
hurl like f**k boi!

The Gs Man

Hard luck Dunloy.  Yis have had a great season all the same.
Keep 'er lit

Kickham csc

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 10, 2018, 08:40:44 AM

we were beat, and well beat at that, by the team that will probably win the competition. they are a very good team and have 5 derry minors in their squad and were well worth their win.

our boys looked exhausted in the final 15 mins, something of which was pointed out to me as well by Bellaghy supporters i was standing with watching the match. that was their first competitive game since their county final where as we have had a multitude of games. one of our lads told me sat evening when i asked him was he looking forward to Sunday that he was knackered and sore. they now have another game Wednesday night to play in.

i know people will say things like its a good complaint to have or your victims of your own success but at some point there has to be some sort of common sense that looks at the timing of events like the U21 football so as it doesn't be run off during the middle of the ulster minor hurling and football competitions.

all 15 of our minors are dual players and some of them are U16's so they have played for 4 teams for the duration of this season. i just feel that all our championships need run off before the schools start back again so that young players are actually given a break.

Add in Mageean, possibly MacLarnon cup, it is a heavy workload

Derry club / school programs are well aligned, and in the past usually worked well with each other to streamline training. Plus Bellaghy are purely football focused, which is a huge advantage when it comes to preparation at this stage

thewobbler

Quote from: Dunloy realist on December 10, 2018, 08:40:44 AM

The first rule of the GAA is that if a small window opens up for a competition to be played, then one will be jammed in there, and everyone will want to win it.

Clubs and players either need to prioritise, or put themselves through the mill. There's genuinely. I way around it.