Does the Belfast Bias remain in Antrim Football?

Started by ExcellentDriver, June 28, 2011, 03:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcellentDriver

I talk to a few friends from Cargin/Creggan who are always maintaining that the Antrim Board were biased towards the Belfast players. Is that still the case?

Well, many players from South-West Antrim would have featured in successful Colleges sides with Derry's 'Big Three' (St Pat's Maghera, Mt. Mary's Convent, Magherafelt and St. Pius X College, Magherafelt).
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

I don't think Cargin  have any complaints about not getting players selected for the county panel. As MR2 posted above. Balls!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

QuoteCargin have gotten away with some shit over the years.

They've been punished a lot over the years.

Doesn't exist anymore really as far as I can see.

DearyMe

Learner Driver!

What exactly do you mean by that comment?

MR2 said it all!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

NAG1

He said she said Bullsh*t

Close this thread down its topics like these that get people on here stick in the press for being begrudgers!

saffron sam2

He is right. I'll be along in September to back him up.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on June 28, 2011, 03:58:24 PM
I talk to a few friends from Cargin/Creggan who are always maintaining that the Antrim Board were biased towards the Belfast players. Is that still the case?

Well, many players from South-West Antrim would have featured in successful Colleges sides with Derry's 'Big Three' (St Pat's Maghera, Mt. Mary's Convent, Magherafelt and St. Pius X College, Magherafelt).

So more Cargin and Creggan players will make Antrim better? Did you see the Antrim team?

ANTRIM: S O'Neill; C Brady, R Johnston, K O'Boyle; T Scullion (0-02), J Crozier, A Healy; M McCann, A Gallagher; C Murray (0-01), T McCann (0-04, 0-02f, 0-02 '45'), J Loughrey (0-02); G O'Boyle (0-03, 0-02f), B Herron (0-02), K Niblock (0-01).

7 of the players are from SW clubs. You are a WUM
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2011, 06:37:22 PM
Balls!!

All I can say is "congratulations" to Excellent Driver.

That must be the shortest answer that Milltown is ever known to have given to any living creature, either on the pitch, on the sideline, or indeed, on this very board.

imtommygunn

There wouldn't be "many" at successful derry schools either. Yes there were some - e.g. Crozier, Michael McCann(who has a Hogan), Tomas and going back the likes of Kevin Madden - but that does not equate to many.

MR you've got another fan here I see.

Kickham csc

Regarding Antrim lads in Derry schools The list is quite large, from a Maghera perspective:
Sean McAuley & Terance Laverty - Maghera 78 - (TL Capt of Maghera's first MacRory)
Mackle - Moneyglass - Maghera Mac Rory capt
Steven Lynn - John Darragh - Mac Rory and Hogan finalists Maghera (full back and full forward)
Ciaran O'Neill, Nial Lynn Maghera MacRory winners, Ciaran was a VC)
Kevin Bateson - MacRory / Hogan Cup, MacRory Capt Maghera
Owen Docherty, Kevin Brady - MacRory Hogan cups
Michael McCann; MacRory Hogan cups
Charlie Devlin, Brian McCann, Caolin McCann, Adrian Duggan-Tomas McCann, MacRory members
I'm sure there are others;

St Pius Magherafelt
Big Eddy Quinn - Capt All Ireland U16
Oistin McAteer
Current Cargin minor and colleges all-star - I've blocked the name at the moment

Convent
Madden, McLarnons (Enda, Aiden) Eddie McKee, Thomas McCann, Dermot McPeake, John O'Boyle

The list could go on. But Antrim players have no only repersented the Derry schools but have been key leaders in Derry schools. The question is, why have some of these lads not played for the county??

ExcellentDriver

Sean McAuley was my Form Teacher at St. Pius. Legend amongst men.

Stephen Lynn ended up going to Ardboe. His youngest Lad is the Star Boy for our U-12s.

Enda McLarnon is the same age as me, but when I went to the Convent to do A'Levels, he went to Ballymena Tech.

John Carron from Cargin is a 2nd Cousin of mine (his Gran and my Gran are Sisters).
Stand up for the Ulstermen!