Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2018, 02:34:57 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 06, 2018, 02:18:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2018, 12:53:23 PM
Why was there a small amount of Loughgiel men on that team?

Who would you have on MR2 and where would you put them?

Young McNaughton is a talent no doubt, my point was that there isnt that group with the right talent at the right age for county hurling.

Well the management are putting McCambridge on ahead of the other two lads mentioned that maybe tells you about their opinions on them and they see them day in day out.

I'm not sure to be honest, but they haven't fallen away that much to have so few players that would be able to show their skills at county level? 

You are right NAG if the management see things the way they want then that's their prerogative. I just asked the questions as to why so little from that team..

I was with a Dall man and his son on Sunday and I thought i only picked out 3 or 4 players from Cushendall at the start, obviously more came on, injuries to players and tactically changing the game, which we nearly drew..

We have been a relatively small team for years, and that's been a downfall in my book when you look around the other teams, certainly Dublin and Galway would be the biggest physically about, that's why is hard to field balls and take the hits, which will reduced the strength of the smaller lads..
That's not taking anything away from the players, like myself that is vertically challenged lol. They have the finer parts of their game that they work on that a larger player will struggle with. But pumping aimless balls into a small corner forward is not going to win games

I would agree but that would make me think that we should be looking at tactics which suit our players. Not trying to play to a game plan which doesnt suit the players we have.

We have a good few mobile players, so a running game style ala cork of old or Clare even more recently in theory should suit us better.

I understand there is difference between theory and application but, what is the definition of madness again?

old timers

Quote from: NAG1 on February 06, 2018, 04:06:29 PM

Young McNaughton is a talent no doubt, my point was that there isnt that group with the right talent at the right age for county hurling.

Well the management are putting McCambridge on ahead of the other two lads mentioned that maybe tells you about their opinions on them and they see them day in day out.

I'm not sure to be honest, but they haven't fallen away that much to have so few players that would be able to show their skills at county level? 

You are right NAG if the management see things the way they want then that's their prerogative. I just asked the questions as to why so little from that team..

I was with a Dall man and his son on Sunday and I thought i only picked out 3 or 4 players from Cushendall at the start, obviously more came on, injuries to players and tactically changing the game, which we nearly drew..

We have been a relatively small team for years, and that's been a downfall in my book when you look around the other teams, certainly Dublin and Galway would be the biggest physically about, that's why is hard to field balls and take the hits, which will reduced the strength of the smaller lads..
That's not taking anything away from the players, like myself that is vertically challenged lol. They have the finer parts of their game that they work on that a larger player will struggle with. But pumping aimless balls into a small corner forward is not going to win games

I would agree but that would make me think that we should be looking at tactics which suit our players. Not trying to play to a game plan which doesnt suit the players we have.

We have a good few mobile players, so a running game style ala cork of old or Clare even more recently in theory should suit us better.

I understand there is difference between theory and application but, what is the definition of madness again?

Would agreee with both of you.  Play to your strengths whatever they maybe.   Height was never an issue for Joe Dean when he played County for years and excelled as a corner forward.  But then that would be the logical thing to do and there doesn't seem to be a lot of that about. Time will tell

Think there ended up being maybe 7 Dall players on the field at the end of the match ?? Rightly or wrongly.   it's certainly not Sheedy at the helm- IMO -

Milltown Row2

Well your last paragraph sums your real thoughts up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: old timers on February 06, 2018, 07:14:45 PM

Would agreee with both of you.  Play to your strengths whatever they maybe.   Height was never an issue for Joe Dean when he played County for years and excelled as a corner forward.  But then that would be the logical thing to do and there doesn't seem to be a lot of that about. Time will tell

Think there ended up being maybe 7 Dall players on the field at the end of the match ?? Rightly or wrongly.   it's certainly not Sheedy at the helm- IMO -

Sheedy was never meant to be at the helm as far as I know. I'm sure Woody, Pappy & Peaden won't be walked over by Sambo. If there is 7 Dall players making themselves available and training for the county then it's the managerments call who they use.

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 06, 2018, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: old timers on February 06, 2018, 07:14:45 PM

Sheedy was never meant to be at the helm as far as I know. I'm sure Woody, Pappy & Peaden won't be walked over by Sambo. If there is 7 Dall players making themselves available and training for the county then it's the managerments call who they use.

Well when ypu take that there relatively few players from the current county champions, the next team probably would be Cushendall so I dont see anything wrong with the numbers there either.

theskull1

Most will agree that Cushendall have the strongest batch of senior hurlers at the minute. No surprise they've got the largest representation at the minute.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on February 07, 2018, 09:28:49 AM
Most will agree that Cushendall have the strongest batch of senior hurlers at the minute. No surprise they've got the largest representation at the minute.

Mind games already  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

clear favourites for the championship MR2 lol

hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

In fairness, I should've known.  ::)

north_antrim_hound

Agree, can't see past cushendall this year  ;)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Exiled Ruairi

The players that are on the panel are there as they want to be there and are committed. I know Conal Cunning and Keelan Molloy were asked on board and couldn't commit and with Shorty retiring as well, that is 3 players the senior management would definitely have on the panel in my opinion. I have been told by a panelist, that Cushendall have 7 on the panel and Dunloy have 6. So not a big difference on numbers.

As for the Championship this year, Dunloy are clear favourites and that's coming from a dall man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on February 07, 2018, 10:05:52 AM

In fairness, I should've known.  ::)

See what you have started! Barely Feb and the "we're not favs, they defo are" are out in force!

BTW Carey fav for Interm!

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Exiled Ruairi on February 07, 2018, 02:23:37 PM
The players that are on the panel are there as they want to be there and are committed. I know Conal Cunning and Keelan Molloy were asked on board and couldn't commit and with Shorty retiring as well, that is 3 players the senior management would definitely have on the panel in my opinion. I have been told by a panelist, that Cushendall have 7 on the panel and Dunloy have 6. So not a big difference on numbers.

As for the Championship this year, Dunloy are clear favourites and that's coming from a dall man.

naw its hard to see past Loughgiel this year  ;D ;D
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

The Johnnies are the men this year, double senior championship winners.

theskull1

take that lack of positivity elsewhere groundlie  ;)