Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 3523740 times)

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #37575 on: February 06, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »
Ciaran Clarke would go a long way towards that

Cracking player, where is he anyway. 

we have plenty of classy forwards, unfortunately they are a bit small and light, which i think is why Ryan was put on in forwards,  to help win some ball, it most certainly was not nepotism as he would be ahead of a couple of defenders that start IMHO
Clarke is injured but on the panel

old timers

• View Profile
« Reply #37576 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »
We are basically lacking classy forwards of the right age profile.

We have loads of decent backs but we have no fire, we dont really even have someone to hold the ball up for, never mind create something.

Dont know that I would agree totally with that although what was on show on Sunday would make you think that.   Murphy and Maol both on the bench and McCambridge goes on as a forward ??  I thought Carson held the ball up well enough in forwards on Sunday  not a lot of pace but a physical presence to knock the ball down.   I watched Murphy last year against Armagh who between him and McNaughton came on and won the match and then I watched him down here in Cushendall where he proved to be a half decent free taker.  In McGurk cup matches he was scoring- granted a different  type of opponent and hes Maybe not the biggest but has speed and an eye for a ball, from what I remember??   As for Maol he is a good hurler and I didnt think he did a lot wrong last week in Galway and could have easily came on against Dublin.  IMO

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
« Reply #37577 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »
We are basically lacking classy forwards of the right age profile.

We have loads of decent backs but we have no fire, we dont really even have someone to hold the ball up for, never mind create something.

Dont know that I would agree totally with that although what was on show on Sunday would make you think that.   Murphy and Maol both on the bench and McCambridge goes on as a forward ??  I thought Carson held the ball up well enough in forwards on Sunday  not a lot of pace but a physical presence to knock the ball down.   I watched Murphy last year against Armagh who between him and McNaughton came on and won the match and then I watched him down here in Cushendall where he proved to be a half decent free taker.  In McGurk cup matches he was scoring- granted a different  type of opponent and hes Maybe not the biggest but has speed and an eye for a ball, from what I remember??   As for Maol he is a good hurler and I didnt think he did a lot wrong last week in Galway and could have easily came on against Dublin.  IMO

Agree on murphy, he seems very effective when some space appears in the last ten
Mc Cambridge had an influence on making the ball stick up front so I could see their logic.
Thought Carson was poor enough, struggles in the air and first touch was bad
TBH we have very little ball winners and midfield was poor to Mc Naughton came on
We were lucky that Sutcliffe, Ryan,Keaney  and Rushe had no matches prior to the game
Mc Manus did an serious amount of fire fighting in our weak positions
Why are we so bad in the air as well

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37578 on: February 06, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
Why was there a small amount of Loughgiel men on that team?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #37579 on: February 06, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »

Who would you have on MR2 and where would you put them?

Young McNaughton is a talent no doubt, my point was that there isnt that group with the right talent at the right age for county hurling.

Well the management are putting McCambridge on ahead of the other two lads mentioned that maybe tells you about their opinions on them and they see them day in day out.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #37580 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »

Young McNaughton is a talent no doubt, my point was that there isnt that group with the right talent at the right age for county hurling.

Well the management are putting McCambridge on ahead of the other two lads mentioned that maybe tells you about their opinions on them and they see them day in day out.

I'm not sure to be honest, but they havenít fallen away that much to have so few players that would be able to show their skills at county level? 

You are right NAG if the management see things the way they want then thatís their prerogative. I just asked the questions as to why so little from that team..

I was with a Dall man and his son on Sunday and I thought i only picked out 3 or 4 players from Cushendall at the start, obviously more came on, injuries to players and tactically changing the game, which we nearly drew..

We have been a relatively small team for years, and thatís been a downfall in my book when you look around the other teams, certainly Dublin and Galway would be the biggest physically about, thatís why is hard to field balls and take the hits, which will reduced the strength of the smaller lads..
Thatís not taking anything away from the players, like myself that is vertically challenged lol. They have the finer parts of their game that they work on that a larger player will struggle with. But pumping aimless balls into a small corner forward is not going to win games
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Last Man

• You wont like it when i get angry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37581 on: February 06, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »

I'm not sure to be honest, but they havenít fallen away that much to have so few players that would be able to show their skills at county level? 

You are right NAG if the management see things the way they want then thatís their prerogative. I just asked the questions as to why so little from that team..

I was with a Dall man and his son on Sunday and I thought i only picked out 3 or 4 players from Cushendall at the start, obviously more came on, injuries to players and tactically changing the game, which we nearly drew..

We have been a relatively small team for years, and thatís been a downfall in my book when you look around the other teams, certainly Dublin and Galway would be the biggest physically about, thatís why is hard to field balls and take the hits, which will reduced the strength of the smaller lads..
Thatís not taking anything away from the players, like myself that is vertically challenged lol. They have the finer parts of their game that they work on that a larger player will struggle with. But pumping aimless balls into a small corner forward is not going to win games
Forgetting the size aspect its also kind of pointless when its a 4 on 2 or 3 on 1 in the ffwd line, more work needed on how we create more realistic scoring chances.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #37582 on: February 06, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »

I would agree but that would make me think that we should be looking at tactics which suit our players. Not trying to play to a game plan which doesnt suit the players we have.

We have a good few mobile players, so a running game style ala cork of old or Clare even more recently in theory should suit us better.

I understand there is difference between theory and application but, what is the definition of madness again?

old timers

• View Profile
« Reply #37583 on: February 06, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

I would agree but that would make me think that we should be looking at tactics which suit our players. Not trying to play to a game plan which doesnt suit the players we have.

We have a good few mobile players, so a running game style ala cork of old or Clare even more recently in theory should suit us better.

I understand there is difference between theory and application but, what is the definition of madness again?

Would agreee with both of you.  Play to your strengths whatever they maybe.   Height was never an issue for Joe Dean when he played County for years and excelled as a corner forward.  But then that would be the logical thing to do and there doesnít seem to be a lot of that about. Time will tell

Think there ended up being maybe 7 Dall players on the field at the end of the match ?? Rightly or wrongly.   itís certainly not Sheedy at the helm- IMO -

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #37584 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »
Well your last paragraph sums your real thoughts up

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #37585 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »

Would agreee with both of you.  Play to your strengths whatever they maybe.   Height was never an issue for Joe Dean when he played County for years and excelled as a corner forward.  But then that would be the logical thing to do and there doesnít seem to be a lot of that about. Time will tell

Think there ended up being maybe 7 Dall players on the field at the end of the match ?? Rightly or wrongly.   itís certainly not Sheedy at the helm- IMO -

Sheedy was never meant to be at the helm as far as I know. Iím sure Woody, Pappy & Peaden wonít be walked over by Sambo. If there is 7 Dall players making themselves available and training for the county then itís the managerments call who they use.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #37586 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

Sheedy was never meant to be at the helm as far as I know. Iím sure Woody, Pappy & Peaden wonít be walked over by Sambo. If there is 7 Dall players making themselves available and training for the county then itís the managerments call who they use.

Well when ypu take that there relatively few players from the current county champions, the next team probably would be Cushendall so I dont see anything wrong with the numbers there either.

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #37587 on: February 07, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »
Most will agree that Cushendall have the strongest batch of senior hurlers at the minute. No surprise they've got the largest representation at the minute.
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #37588 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
Most will agree that Cushendall have the strongest batch of senior hurlers at the minute. No surprise they've got the largest representation at the minute.

Mind games already  ;)

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #37589 on: February 07, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »
clear favourites for the championship MR2 lol

hurl like f**k boi!