Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

A rising tide lifts all boats. Cargin the indisputable model that anyone in Antrim needs to match up to if they hope to emulate. No substitute for hard work, and an ethos where success is the only show in town.

PG1 a work in progress, as said before, whatever current batch achieves, much more work being done with next generation.

Anyone who thinks JMK going round South Derry trying to attract players is ludicrous. Zero substance in some of these "presumptions". A great clubman doing own club job for free despite numerous large "offers" elsewhere...whilst still contributing handsomely to our juvenile sector. Exceptionally well regarded in these parts.

Ghost+Tommy

Obviously JMK has upset you at some point NiL,maybe wiped your eye,maybe didn't hold your hand at HT,I DON'T KNOW lol,but to me as an StEndas man,I think Cargin,Creggan, Casements,St Brides and Aghagllon are the teama to catch

imtommygunn

Looking like us against Wicklow to see who stays in division three. (Assuming it's head to head...)

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2024, 04:25:31 PMLooking like us against Wicklow to see who stays in division three. (Assuming it's head to head...)

It's head to head if only two teams on same pints so yeah, massive game v Wicklow to come. They will be up for it after today's win, it won't be easy won. But really if we can't beat Wicklow at home we have no place in Div 3.

Listening to the game today on Clare FM, seems the red card was very damaging.

Spike

There is a reason why Dunloy and Cargin overachieve despite small playing numbers.  It is the same reason as why competitive school football environments are essential.   The rest are playing a numbers game hoping population size sorts out their root problems. 

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: Spike on March 16, 2024, 09:02:46 PMThere is a reason why Dunloy and Cargin overachieve despite small playing numbers.  It is the same reason as why competitive school football environments are essential.   The rest are playing a numbers game hoping population size sorts out their root problems. 
What is it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 16, 2024, 09:12:53 PM
Quote from: Spike on March 16, 2024, 09:02:46 PMThere is a reason why Dunloy and Cargin overachieve despite small playing numbers.  It is the same reason as why competitive school football environments are essential.   The rest are playing a numbers game hoping population size sorts out their root problems. 
What is it?
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 16, 2024, 09:12:53 PM
What is it?

Neither have won an All Ireland and one struggles to win in Ulster.. overachieving is a bit much?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Not in the slightest.  Two small country clubs doing the most with what they have. Neither bought into the Get rich quick schemes employed by others. 

Duine Inteacht Eile

I still don't get "the reason" or how it couples with your statement about schools.

I'm not saying that you are wrong btw, you just have put a very vague comment out there. A bit more meat on the bones of it would be helpful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on March 17, 2024, 07:42:42 AMNot in the slightest.  Two small country clubs doing the most with what they have. Neither bought into the Get rich quick schemes employed by others. 

I wouldn't say small clubs either. One only plays one code too which helps.

I suppose it was get rich quick back in 82 and 83 with back to back Ulster finals?

Not that college/schools football doesn't help some players grow but not the reason why you win championships.

Otherwise SW clubs would have dominated the competition since its inception

Hard work and some luck gets you over the line
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

As I said before, 82 a more genuine accomplishment than the noughties gatherups.   

But 82 is a long time ago and now you're surviving in div 1 by the skin of your teeth.   You go down to div 2 you won't be coming up again

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on March 17, 2024, 10:09:54 AMAs I said before, 82 a more genuine accomplishment than the noughties gatherups.   

But 82 is a long time ago and now you're surviving in div 1 by the skin of your teeth.   You go down to div 2 you won't be coming up again

Yeah we went down before and came back with two Ulster titles..

Now which club doesn't have/had players from other clubs? If you can name me one in Antrim