Significantly increased in recent years
Significantly decreased in recent years
It's about the same

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 19, 2018, 06:01:25 PM
Quote from: TabClear on September 18, 2018, 05:44:47 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 18, 2018, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2018, 04:17:20 PM

At Championship the ref usually has his umpires and linesmen with radio contact, and he's talking to them, an umpire will draw his attention to a foul or off the ball incident but the ref will let play continue and eal with it afterwards, some linesmen will let you know straight away and you may (if you chose) make a call there and then based on his call, Ive done it recently and I think its a great idea, the linesman let me know about a technical foul i didnt seen and i blew the whistle..

Interesting.  So a linesman could tell you that you missed a double bounce ,or a touch on the ground, and you could blow for the free, even though you missed it yourself?
Not sure I've seen that happen.  Only ever seem to see linesman involved when there is physical contact.

Did not know that either. Is that allowed under the rules or does it just happen in games?

http://www.gaa.ie/my-gaa/match-officials/linesmen

QuoteOne linesman patrols each sideline. They change sides at half-time.

What are the Duties of the Linesman?
The linesman indicates by flag signal:

• When and where a ball crosses the sideline
  • Which side is entitled to the sideline kick or puck, and
  • Where the kick or puck is to be taken from

Powers of Linesmen
The linesman has the power to bring to the attention of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the referee. It is the duty of the linesman to report any such instances and his obligation is to do so by providing the factual situation regarding the instance.

He may choose, was what I had in brackets in my post. The technical foul that was brought to my attention was when the keeper kicked the ball from his goal and the defender was too close, there was no arguing over it either as I'd positioned myself at the 45 to watch for the mark and my linesman was positioned on the 21..

Reason why I brought it up was I've sern and been involved where (in hurling) the ref can be caught out for square balls very easily, ball pucked downfield and ref just asks his umpires 'is the man in his be square?' Job done!

There is absolutely no reason for games where they are mic'd up that they can't use the lines man live. I've seen it at inter county games, I'd say it's all unofficial but it productive rather than counterproductive.

Another one that's not on that list Gab is telling the ref, from his position behind the ball from a free that it went over the bar or not,  as sometimes the umpire is not best positioned in certain pitches .

Again if common sense prevailed then it would run a lot smoother
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Therealdonald

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2018, 06:18:47 PM

At Championship the ref usually has his umpires and linesmen with radio contact, and he's talking to them, an umpire will draw his attention to a foul or off the ball incident but the ref will let play continue and eal with it afterwards, some linesmen will let you know straight away and you may (if you chose) make a call there and then based on his call, Ive done it recently and I think its a great idea, the linesman let me know about a technical foul i didnt seen and i blew the whistle..

Interesting.  So a linesman could tell you that you missed a double bounce ,or a touch on the ground, and you could blow for the free, even though you missed it yourself?
Not sure I've seen that happen.  Only ever seem to see linesman involved when there is physical contact.

Did not know that either. Is that allowed under the rules or does it just happen in games?

Powers of Linesmen
The linesman has the power to bring to the attention of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the referee. It is the duty of the linesman to report any such instances and his obligation is to do so by providing the factual situation regarding the instance.

He may choose, was what I had in brackets in my post. The technical foul that was brought to my attention was when the keeper kicked the ball from his goal and the defender was too close, there was no arguing over it either as I'd positioned myself at the 45 to watch for the mark and my linesman was positioned on the 21..

Reason why I brought it up was I've sern and been involved where (in hurling) the ref can be caught out for square balls very easily, ball pucked downfield and ref just asks his umpires 'is the man in his be square?' Job done!

There is absolutely no reason for games where they are mic'd up that they can't use the lines man live. I've seen it at inter county games, I'd say it's all unofficial but it productive rather than counterproductive.

Another one that's not on that list Gab is telling the ref, from his position behind the ball from a free that it went over the bar or not,  as sometimes the umpire is not best positioned in certain pitches .

Thankless job. Not made any easier by the fact that to be a ref you a) have to be failed player and b)obnoxious as fcuk

JoG2

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 19, 2018, 07:41:05 PM

Powers of Linesmen

Thankless job. Not made any easier by the fact that to be a ref you a) have to be failed player and b)obnoxious as fcuk

Give respect, get respect

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 19, 2018, 07:41:05 PM

Powers of Linesmen

Great sweeping statement, have you a link to that? Or just made it up cause you're a) an obnoxious Cnut or possibly b) a Cnut?

;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CJ2017

Martin Breheny : Its time to use two referees

Interesting point made by Paul Earley on the quick kickout potential leading to more fouling and the increased speed of game nowadays. Never been a harder time to be a referee?!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-its-time-to-use-two-referees-35675499.html

Boycey

https://twitter.com/Woolberto/status/1043555879424065536?s=08

The Derry wans must be keeping this to themselves...

The lad running in clips the ref

shantygael

Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2018, 08:33:29 PM
If  you had the sense to check the Derry club football page
first you would see  that they didn't keep it to themselves.

you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Boycey

Quote from: shantygael on September 22, 2018, 08:53:05 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 22, 2018, 08:33:29 PM
If  you had the sense to check the Derry club football page
first you would see  that they didn't keep it to themselves.

I did look in there first and then decided they were keeping it to themselves  ;) I mean who else goes in there...

Whos got the other clip then.

Carmen Stateside

Boycey

Wildweasel74

Just greenlough at it, and screen behaved themselves unlike emptying the subs bench in the hurling the week before!

GJL

Cowardly stuff by the guy who run on.

shantygael

Quote from: GJL on September 22, 2018, 10:59:19 PM
Cowardly stuff by the guy who run on.
Yip, especially when he came up from behind to do it.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Wildweasel74

Move over Tyrone., Derry have hit the front in the thuggish element of club football!

rionach 4

Violence in our game is the elephant in the room.