Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 11:00:10 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 16, 2019, 10:57:16 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 16, 2019, 09:41:13 PM
Can't help but wonder has Sean Andy been badly coached at senipr level. I remember seeing him at minor and thinking he was the best out and out full back i could remember watching. He was excellent at u21 too but seems a liability at senior.

He had a decent year last year but throughout the league this year and into championship he's a liability at full back, the only way he can stop a forward is by fouling, he rarely makes a decent tackle.

I remember seeing him in an U21 game (can't remember who it was against) and he was absolutely dominating the lad he was marking but it was pretty much all based on his physical advantage - catching high ball over the forward's head, just being physically too strong and fast for the forward to compete with - can't help but think he never developed the full range of proper defensive skills underage because he didn't need to as he pretty much always had the phycial advantage over opponents - now he's competing with forwards that he doesn't have a physical advantage over he just doesn't know how to defend them without fouling.

That's it in a nutshell, think it was against Dublin he really stood out in an u-21 game, he was marking Con O'Callaghan I think and did a job on him.

He made dust of our full forward Matty Sullivan in a 21 game in 2017. KW should play Sean Andy at centre back or midfield.

highorlow

Congratulations to the Rossies. Enjoy the celebrations.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GalwayBayBoy

Just watched the highlights for my sins. Amateurish defending for the goal. Bradshaw was tracking Cregg but Sean Andy still went towards him instead of covering Murtagh. Defending 101. And Lavelle somehow managed to make himself a smaller obstacle by turning sideways for the shot instead of spreading himself.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 16, 2019, 09:51:50 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:38:00 PM
Ian Burke seems to be taking an awful lot of flak for the forwards performance on social media, he didn't have his best day but he's missing having that big full forward beside him, added to that the ball into him was cat bad. The way the forward line was set up was never going to suit Burke's game. Well done to Roscommon and Anthony Cunningham by the way, they outplayed and outfought this Galway team again today.
There was plenty on decent ball sent into Ian today and he fumbled nearly everything that came his way today - easily the worst performance he has put in for a long time.   The forward play in the second half was non existent.  It was a horrible performance and Walsh's position is no longer tenable IMO, he has to go along with his management team.

From the moment Ian Burke backed out of going down on the ball after 30 seconds until the end he was terrible, no point in dressing it up any other way, he should have been hooked first out of any of them up front, absolutely cleaned out and offered nothing today.

Before I get the the Galway post mortem, big congrats to the Rossies, only team to come out to play in the second half, they upped it to a real championship intensity and the Galway effort wilted under the strain. Fair play to Anthony Cunningham, fantastic record and success in both codes with a variety of teams.

As for Galway? Well I think you have to separate two things, the result and the performance. The result is not good obviously but if Galway had lost a tight game in which they had competed then you can take it on the chin easier, it might have been an unlucky goal or a superb point from the opposition that could have been the reason we lost, that's acceptable while the performance is there, no shame losing to a better team on the day if you play reasonably to the form you are capable of.

The fact that the second half performance was so wretched is the killer and while Kevin Walsh will be eviscerated after this (which isn't totally wrong either) the players have to take a large portion of the blame. They put themselves into a good position with very efficient shooting in the first half in brutal conditions yet they sleepwalked back out of the dressing room at ht and when it became a difficult championship test, when the match required leaders, they managed a meagre two points, only one in the actual 35 minute period. Of course people can point to absentees like Comer but the Rossies were down a number of players themselves and what turned it around for Roscommon in the second half has nothing to do with personnel and everything to do with attitude and execution.

Whatever about the league matches which went ok for the most part, it was all about how the team would perform in the championship. The results are stark, two poor performances against London and Sligo and now a collapse with probably the worst 35 minutes of the Kevin Walsh era - and there is a some serious competition on that front.
The second half collapse today was akin to what we saw against Tyrone in the league, the inability to change mid game if required both on the line and on the pitch - it's not the first time this has been an issue.

I'm loath to say it as Galway are still in the championship and it is kicking a man while he is down but Kevin Walsh's tenure has surely - unless there is some miracle turnaround, which being perfectly honest I don't see happening - run it's course now. Taking Daly off today when he at least looked like he could get a score from long range and leaving some of the other players on was madness. The lack of earlier substitutions to change it up when Galway were clearly in big trouble was bizarre. Bringing on Varley who hasn't kicked a ball all year ahead of other options?

In fairness to Kevin Walsh has done an awful lot right for Galway, some people have forgotten that but anyone who had to sit through the Wexford and Antrim losses at the start of this decade not to mention the hammerings from Mayo will realise that we were on the floor, stuck in Division Two and it's moved on considerably from that. People clamouring for on all out attack pattern of play will get a rude awakening on that as well because some of the players back there, as have been mentioned here in other posts, are simply not good enough at the art of defending in a one on one or 50/50 situation. I think KW knows this and it's a lot of the reason for the style of play that has been adopted. That is no excuse for not being able to execute well in other areas of the pitch however and there is no invention up front, Comer covered up a lot of weaknesses in that area last year and hasn't been around to do the same this year.

That said about some of the good points from KW's reign, realistically I think it's come to a natural end now and a different voice is required. Whether that will bring any improvement from where we are remains to be seen because the players are not blameless here by any strech but I don't think it's going to turn around into a better place again under Kevin Walsh.

I'd be very afraid for the Galway team in that Round 4 qualifier match, given the performances to date they are likely to miss out on the Super 8s unless they get another team on a bad day (what would a full tilt Mayo or Tyrone do against a Galway performance like today?!), which would be a disaster and I've less optimism this evening than I've had for a long time regarding the Seniors, moreso looking at the championship performances to date than just the result today against a fully deserving Connacht champion Roscommon team.

Over the Bar

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2019, 09:23:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Ohhh yesssss :D
Change to dry clothes and out for some liquid......
Yooohooooo

Comhghairdeas Rossfan. Enjoy whatever liquid you have!

+ 1. Roscommon were fully deserved winners today and the match V Mayo as well.
Like you Farr. I was only hopeful of Mayo's chances v Ros. that night ( for good reasons) and I also said that if Ros. beat Mayo there was no reason they wouldn't beat Galway as well.
Tactically Mayo was riddled in the usual way under Horan but Roscommon showed great resolve to see that game out.
I fancied Ros. to win today because I think they have more better footballers than Galway do right now. Better keeper, better ball-playing defenders and better forwards. When Roscommon trusted their midfield in second half in the old way, they were better there too.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 16, 2019, 09:23:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 16, 2019, 09:18:28 PM
Ohhh yesssss :D
Change to dry clothes and out for some liquid......
Yooohooooo

Comhghairdeas Rossfan. Enjoy whatever liquid you have!
Go raibh maith agat a Fharr.
I had some grand pinteens with some panellists families.
Days like today make up for all the pain and heartache and trips to Carlow, Casement and Ballyragget and conceding 4-24 and being laughed at and being condescended to and they laughed at our bus etc etc.
First team to qualify for the last 8, 3 years in a row in the Quarters....ah fk it time for bed...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2019, 02:44:07 AM
and they laughed at our bus etc etc.

Brilliant ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy the celebrations

LooseCannon

Main Street

Quote from: Duine Eile on June 16, 2019, 09:21:30 PM
That was a shambles, and it began with the announcement that Lavelle and Cooke were playing. Lavelle is a disaster on kick outs, Cooke hasn't played since March and you could see he wasn't match fit. Fiontán was another one who wasn't able for the pace of this game, he was given the run around more than once. Shane Walsh was left up front as finisher for Ian Burke to feed but that didn't work, Burke needs someone like Comer or Martin Farragher beside him. We needed to drive on after half time and that was the time to introduce runners like Molloy and McDaid to give Ros something different to think about but again our management wait until something goes wrong to react. Waiting until the 70th (?) minute to bring on Farragher and Molloy was an insult to those 2 players. The attitude of the whole team is wrong, this constant negative football is draining to watch, it must be horrendous altogether to play. Once Roscommon went a point ahead that was it, Galway gave up. We have serious talent in that panel but it's being wasted completely by Walsh and his constant negativity and bad management.
That's a good assessment of how I saw Galway in that game. The decision not to drive on in the opening minutes of the second half, instead  parking every player in defense is Walsh's doctrine, the Rossies used the wing  well and coupled with some shambolic blanket defending, Galway fell apart as a team. Probably time to find another coach.

The ref had a very good game, made good decisions and stood up well to some angry menacing players twice his size.

imtommygunn

I would agree with you on Walsh. I have never thought he has been a particularly great manager and think Galway should probably change him.

I wouldn't agree on the ref. I thought he wasn't good at all (on both sides) and it could have spilled over with his lack of control.

Keyser soze

On the referee, failed to give the Ros keeper a free out when he was tackled by two men inside the square. then at the end gave him a free out when he clearly hadn't been touched and was sooooo obviously killing time. 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 17, 2019, 10:43:54 AM
I would agree with you on Walsh. I have never thought he has been a particularly great manager and think Galway should probably change him.

I wouldn't agree on the ref. I thought he wasn't good at all (on both sides) and it could have spilled over with his lack of control.
he must hate the sight of Roscommon

2010 with sligo

ck

Well done Rossies. I do think this is the best thing that could happen to Galway with regard to an All Ireland. I think they'll still end up getting further than Roscommon.