The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2018, 10:07:28 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 16, 2018, 09:57:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2018, 08:25:29 PM
Croatia are playing Nigeria in Kaliningrad. Until 1945 it was a German city, in Prussia, called Königsberg. Nobody talks about Prussia any more.

And nobody talks about Bulgaria on the news anymore.
Any time the Wombles come up they do
Nicely done

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2018, 10:17:16 PM
One of the centres for group matches is Volgograd.  It was known in Ww2 as Stalingrad, where the Nazis ran into a wall.

The Soviets won the war but the cost was unbearable.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2015/10/12/svetlana-alexievich-truth-many-voices/

"She also very quickly explained that the fault lay not with one man but with the experiences of Soviet generations, now reworked for new wars. When she listed the fake descriptions of events in Ukraine in the Russian media, she spoke of Russian society as a "collective Putin." As she put it, "Putin placed his bet on the basest instincts and won. Even if he disappeared tomorrow, we would remain as we are."

Did you know Russia used to be a communist country, Sea?

laoislad

How about ye take yer shite to another thread and leave this one for the football.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Baile an tuaigh

A little uncouth but I agree with you I'm glad the European Coutries are doing well.

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on June 16, 2018, 10:43:26 PM
How about ye take yer shite to another thread and leave this one for the football.

What he said.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2018, 10:51:20 PM
One of the best things about the World Cup is supporting one team over the other in every fixture due to your perception of each country's historical deeds & alignments.

This is a very wee six mindset to have.

mouview

Can't understand the narrative that Iceland deserved a point. They just packed the defence and hacked it out all second half. At least Argentina tried to play the right way, passed it around and created what few chances there were.

Syferus

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2018, 10:58:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2018, 10:53:04 PM
One of the best things about the World Cup is supporting one team over the other in every fixture due to your perception of each country's historical deeds & alignments.

This is a very wee six mindset to have.
Gives me an interest. Otherwise, a team from far away are playing a team from far away. This match is being played far away.

I like watching good football. Apart from England losing I have no skin in the game.

sid waddell

Quote from: mouview on June 16, 2018, 10:56:38 PM
Can't understand the narrative that Iceland deserved a point. They just packed the defence and hacked it out all second half. At least Argentina tried to play the right way, passed it around and created what few chances there were.
I hope Iceland get smashed in their remaining two games.

They've had their 15 minutes, it's now time for them to fook off and take their hoofball with them.

Norway were great craic when they were beating England back in 1993 but they soon became an absolute blight on international football.

Iceland are no different in that regard.

Syferus

Quote from: sid waddell on June 17, 2018, 12:42:24 AM

They've had their 15 minutes, it's now time for them to fook off and take their hoofball with them.

Norway were great craic when they were beating England back in 1993 but they soon became an absolute blight on international football.

It's more than a bit rich for an Irishman to be complaining about this stuff.

sid waddell

Quote from: Syferus on June 17, 2018, 12:53:47 AM

It's more than a bit rich for an Irishman to be complaining about this stuff.
How so?

Dougal Maguire

Not often I agree with you, but you're on the mark with this one
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

I know you're on the wind up, but where did you stand on DenmarkV Peru and why?
Careful now

Jell 0 Biafra

Can't understand the idea that they didn't deserve the point.  They executed their game plan almost perfectly and denied Argentina the space to cause much damage.  An exceptionally well organized defense, and decent enough on the break.  Well worth their point, and I hope not to have to watch them again.

gawa316

What exactly are they supposed to do? I just read their right back makes salt for a living for fucks sake!