Monaghan v Kerry - St Tiernachs Park Clones - 22/07/18

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 18, 2018, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan with the experience, the momentum and home advantage, Kerry with youth fighting for survival. Who wins and how might it play out, discuss..

Main Street

Maroon Manc

Anyone else think too much was made of Kerry playing a sweeper and the impact it had?
Galway were forced to go long with a lot of kickouts anyway and its very difficult for Kerry to force the long kickout everytime as there's no way they could have left 3 defenders in their own half picking up Burke, Comer & Walsh. We all saw what happened the first time Shane Walsh got any space in injury time.

We all know how Monaghan will set up, kickouts going to be key for Kerry and fully expect Maher to be brought back in for Jack Barry. Beggan is a certainly a far more polished kicker of the ball than Shane Murphy is. Morley will be a huge loss if he's not fit as Kerry desperately need  to add a physical element to that half back line, whats happened to Gavin Crowley who plaed so well against Mayo in the league? You'd think Donaghy wouldn't start given he played no part last weekend but its Fitzmaurice and he's not shy on making strange decisions.

Surely Kerry will have a reaction and will come out really fired up but I'm not sure its going to be enough if Monaghan play well. 

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 18, 2018, 02:35:11 PM
Anyone else think too much was made of Kerry playing a sweeper and the impact it had?
Galway were forced to go long with a lot of kickouts anyway and its very difficult for Kerry to force the long kickout everytime as there's no way they could have left 3 defenders in their own half picking up Burke, Comer & Walsh. We all saw what happened the first time Shane Walsh got any space in injury time.

We all know how Monaghan will set up, kickouts going to be key for Kerry and fully expect Maher to be brought back in for Jack Barry. Beggan is a certainly a far more polished kicker of the ball than Shane Murphy is. Morley will be a huge loss if he's not fit as Kerry desperately need  to add a physical element to that half back line, whats happened to Gavin Crowley who plaed so well against Mayo in the league? You'd think Donaghy wouldn't start given he played no part last weekend but its Fitzmaurice and he's not shy on making strange decisions.

Surely Kerry will have a reaction and will come out really fired up but I'm not sure its going to be enough if Monaghan play well.
Kerry seemed to setup to counteract Galway's inside forward line, especially Comer - thankfully for us, we have a few very capable forwards and only for some extremely poor shooting (conditions?) we should have been 4 - 5 pts up at HT.  The Kerry setup was in stark contrast to what they did v Clare & Cork - why change if they were confident in their young players ability?  Looks like the management team though otherwise for this one.

Also, I see many of the Kerry pundits in the printed media calling for the inclusion of Donaghy this weekend coming and lamenting his not appearance last Sun.  Donaghy is what age, 35?  If's he's deemed to be the answer at this stage, Kerry are in real trouble.

Jayop

Galway really showed the way for Monaghan to go at Kerry and lukily for Monaghan it's pretty much how they play anyway. Monaghan have dogs of war all over the place and it really isn't going to be a game for young (albeit talented) players in their first year. If it rains I really do see Kerry getting beat here. If the sun is on their backs then their better players should be able to come through. Monaghan need  McCarron to hit that league form here again to take the heat off McManus.

Should be a dinger of a game.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 18, 2018, 02:54:52 PM

Kerry seemed to setup to counteract Galway's inside forward line, especially Comer - thankfully for us, we have a few very capable forwards and only for some extremely poor shooting (conditions?) we should have been 4 - 5 pts up at HT.  The Kerry setup was in stark contrast to what they did v Clare & Cork - why change if they were confident in their young players ability?  Looks like the management team though otherwise for this one.

Also, I see many of the Kerry pundits in the printed media calling for the inclusion of Donaghy this weekend coming and lamenting his not appearance last Sun.  Donaghy is what age, 35?  If's he's deemed to be the answer at this stage, Kerry are in real trouble.

It was very odd they didn't use him at all considering he'd offer something totally different.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 19, 2018, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 18, 2018, 02:54:52 PM

It was very odd they didn't use him at all considering he'd offer something totally different.
Yeah, I was surprised that he wasn't thrown in last Sun also, probably at midfield where they were being cleaned out in the second half.  He isn't the answer though as being portrayed by some of his former teammates in the media!

CornUladh02

Kerry, as a county, didn't sign up for the super 8s for a do or die battle v monaghan away in clones! Going to be v tough for Kerry but surely there is a sting in their tail after Galway?

redzone

Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2018, 04:05:29 PM
Galway really showed the way for Monaghan to go at Kerry and lukily for Monaghan it's pretty much how they play anyway. Monaghan have dogs of war all over the place and it really isn't going to be a game for young (albeit talented) players in their first year. If it rains I really do see Kerry getting beat here. If the sun is on their backs then their better players should be able to come through. Monaghan need  McCarron to hit that league form here again to take the heat off McManus.

Should be a dinger of a game.
I think mccarron has it still to prove to me. I always get the impression he's a league footballer

Main Street

Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 19, 2018, 07:35:34 PM
Kerry, as a county, didn't sign up for the super 8s for a do or die battle v monaghan away in clones! Going to be v tough for Kerry but surely there is a sting in their tail after Galway?
And a lot of them haven't even met Dessie Mone yet.

A Kerry of old would certainly have a sting in their tail but when talk of the veteran Donaghy option being the the trump card, that doesn't augur too well for the merits of the present bunch. Exciting times for Monaghan GAA, to host such a championship stage encounter and be in with a fighting chance against strong favourites Kerry.

Syferus

As much as I'd like to be able to gloat in the glow of a Kerry team eliminated two weeks before the AIQFs being over (these were the lads who were going to put it up to Dublin, remember), a Kerry victory is pretty likely here.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

I expect a backlash from Kerry here.

The three O'se's have been doing Fitzmaurices team talk all week long for him in the media by labelling the players leaderless and gutless and I'd expect a big reaction. Kerry are not as poor as they showed last week and will have far too much firepower up front for Monaghan to handle. 

Ball Hopper

Kerry team for Sunday:

Shane Murphy

Ronan Shanahan
Mark Griffin
Tom O'Sullivan

Paul Murphy
Peter Crowley
Gavin White

David Moran
Jack Barry

Kevin McCarthy