Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 17, 2017, 09:52:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 17, 2017, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 17, 2017, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 17, 2017, 09:23:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 17, 2017, 09:05:51 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 17, 2017, 08:21:06 PM

Not true. Soccer men like Giles, Dunphy, Brady etc all call it soccer regularly.
They are football men that may occasionally call it soccer. What did i say that wasn't true?.

1) that some will call it soccer on here to save any confusion
2) that soccer is a nickname for the sport
3) Those that doesn't have any interest in the sport calls it nothing but soccer

"Football".

Also, those that are interested in soccer, call it nothing but soccer too.
The game is called "Football" i didn't anything wrong there. Yes plenty that have interest in the sport call it soccer also but even those calling it soccer the majority of them still know the true name of the sport is called football.
Association football
Thats the full name yes. Soccer is a nickname.

So is "football" then.

omaghjoe

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 17, 2017, 09:58:09 PM
Can this thread be locked please?

It's about as useful as a chocolate teapot

Iced tea? :P :P

omaghjoe

Looks like we deemed to be in the "soccer" camp along with most anglophone countries...

Tho I call it football in America.... just to be different. I call it by its correct name in Ireland.... "the foreign sport"  ;)

What I find kinda weird is Spanish speakers in America will swtich language mid conversation and call it futbol in one sentence and soccer the next.

LooseCannon

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 18, 2017, 06:00:29 AM
Quote from: LooseCannon on December 17, 2017, 09:58:09 PM
Can this thread be locked please?

It's about as useful as a chocolate teapot

Iced tea? :P :P

Ok, it's about as useful as tits on a bull.

nrico2006

I wonder did most Irish fans replace the word football with soccer when singing 'Put 'Em Under Pressure'.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zulu

Indeed, I wonder did most Irish fans replace the word óle in the song with hurrah or up ya boy ya?

illdecide

Meanwhile back at the ranch...Stefan i reckon will be back at the tail end of the league to get ready for the Championship, Lurgan Celtic will be well relegated by that stage.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: illdecide on December 18, 2017, 12:39:24 PM
Meanwhile back at the ranch...Stefan i reckon will be back at the tail end of the league to get ready for the Championship, Lurgan Celtic will be well relegated by that stage.

Yeah that got a bit out of hand, Armagh don't need him until then. He's proven quality.

rosnarun

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 18, 2017, 06:08:26 AM
Looks like we deemed to be in the "soccer" camp along with most anglophone countries...

Tho I call it football in America.... just to be different. I call it by its correct name in Ireland.... "the foreign sport"  ;)

What I find kinda weird is Spanish speakers in America will swtich language mid conversation and call it futbol in one sentence and soccer the next.
I remember an English TV slagging a yank over the whole Fooball soccer thing until he reminded the Idiots their programme was call Soccer AM. summed it up for me
the English call it soccer unless they are talking to a americans and then their  imperilialistic nature kicks in
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

maddog

Quote from: rosnarun on December 18, 2017, 02:41:08 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 18, 2017, 06:08:26 AM

I remember an English TV slagging a yank over the whole Fooball soccer thing until he reminded the Idiots their programme was call Soccer AM. summed it up for me
the English call it soccer unless they are talking to a americans and then their  imperilialistic nature kicks in

No they don't. I've yet to hear any of the lads i work with calling it soccer.