Sean Cavanagh Retires.

Started by mrhardyannual, August 27, 2017, 09:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 29, 2017, 10:26:38 AM
Fantastic servant, and a great player for Tyrone. A real driving force and he finishes up as easily one of the best players of the last 15 years. Enjoy the retirement.

Fixed that for you AZ!

One of the greatest of all time of that there is no question but always went down far too easily!!

WT4E

Aidan O'Se is alot worse and I'd say by the time he's finished he'll counted as a modern great without that tag!

Tyrone Gaa

For me I think Sean shares equality with Peter as our greatest ever.  He played all over the pitch the complete player in the days of blanket defence.  That tactic may have hampered Peter's influence but still doesn't change that he remains GOD.  I do feel Cavanagh was that good and the Best player of his generation
Living the dream!!!

Gaffer

Some fantastic tributes here from inside and outside Tyrone and so well deserved

To think now that a certain RTE pundit could be sitting somewhere thinking up a critisism of Sean as a player that he will unlease on the public next chance he gets. Same as the way Gooch was treated!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

seafoid

Looking back it was bad form of Tyrone to deny Monaghan the win. The end justifies the means . Not winning an all Ireland does not. Ruthless but inefficient is not a good mix.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: Gaffer on August 29, 2017, 12:57:16 PM
Some fantastic tributes here from inside and outside Tyrone and so well deserved

To think now that a certain RTE pundit could be sitting somewhere thinking up a critisism of Sean as a player that he will unlease on the public next chance he gets. Same as the way Gooch was treated!!

And then in 6 months time will probably be sitting beside him in a studio as the best of buddies.

screenexile

Quote from: WT4E on August 29, 2017, 11:31:15 AM
Aidan O'Se is alot worse and I'd say by the time he's finished he'll counted as a modern great without that tag!

He's not worse. . . also he's not as good as Cavanagh was!

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2017, 01:10:58 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on August 29, 2017, 12:57:16 PM

And then in 6 months time will probably be sitting beside him in a studio as the best of buddies.
TSG is a pantomime for oul lads
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gabriel_Hurl

Enjoy the retirement Big Sean - well deserved.

WT4E

Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2017, 01:36:31 PM

Aidan O'Se has dived his way to two all ireland finals! He is definitely worse than Sean Cavanagh IMO.

screenexile

Quote from: WT4E on August 29, 2017, 02:34:19 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 29, 2017, 01:36:31 PM

Aidan O'Se has dived his way to two all ireland finals! He is definitely worse than Sean Cavanagh IMO.

No . . . number 1 he's not been around as long as Cavanagh and number 2 the only real diving incident I can remember him for is the Fermanagh one!

Gabriel_Hurl

Name change to "Broken Record" please.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on August 29, 2017, 11:52:36 AM
For me I think Sean shares equality with Peter as our greatest ever.  He played all over the pitch the complete player in the days of blanket defence.  That tactic may have hampered Peter's influence but still doesn't change that he remains GOD.  I do feel Cavanagh was that good and the Best player of his generation
Fine footballer as Cavanagh was I  would have Eugene McKenna in front of him , it was some achievement  for him to win three allstars( at midfield centre half forward and full forward) in a decade when as a whole Ulster  football was in the doldrums

yellowcard

Surely Canavan is the best ever Tyrone player. Cavanagh was a powerful athlete and at his peak was near impossible to stop once he got into his stride. However Canavan in terms of pure footballing ability was out on his own. He carried Tyrone on his own for years when they had a fairly average group of players. That's not to take away from Cavanagh who was remarkably consistent over the period when Tyrone won 3 AI titles but he was lucky to come along at a time when Tyrone had a once in a generation group of players.

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be that familiar with the earlier vintage Tyrone players, apart from Plunkett Donaghy, Frank McGuigan and lads like that, so greatest ever is a tough one. But even in the last 20 years, the Tyrone renaissance era, there's some stiff competition. How can he be said to be better than Peter Canavan, or Stephen O'Neill? Even Brian McGuigan in his pomp, or Brian Dooher? Conor Gormley, Philly Jordan? these were all smashing footballers.