Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

By by reckoning the last team to do 3 in a row was the great Kerry team 84-86. When was the last 3 in a row Dublin team.its some achievement for them lads.immortatily beckons. Thenvariable is do they change a winning team to bring back d Connolly. In 2008 Kerry brought in Paul galvin after a big suspension and they lost focus. I think they'll start Connolly and there'll be mighty pressure on the lad. Good to be playing against the best.

bannside

Do you really believe that if Jim Gavin starts Dermot Connelly that for some reason associated with this the Dubs might lose their focus? Can't fathom your logic here at all. Surely Connelly is a permanent fixture in this squad in matches and at training etc. Not like some new kid coming in out of the blue!

Furthermore would his teammates not see his inclusion as a boost, not a negative? Not getting your jist at all here.

phpearse

Technically Bannside, he should be training on his own away from the Dublin squad. I think that length of ban meant that he could have no involvement with the team, so could not train with them or play in A v B games. Could be wrong on that though.

trueblue1234

Quote from: bannside on August 24, 2017, 09:06:16 AM
Do you really believe that if Jim Gavin starts Dermot Connelly that for some reason associated with this the Dubs might lose their focus? Can't fathom your logic here at all. Surely Connelly is a permanent fixture in this squad in matches and at training etc. Not like some new kid coming in out of the blue!

Furthermore would his teammates not see his inclusion as a boost, not a negative? Not getting your jist at all here.

I'd agree. SoN was thrown in for a Final and while he didn't preform great (To his level) himself the team did alright.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

JoG2

Quote from: phpearse on August 24, 2017, 09:31:07 AM
Technically Bannside, he should be training on his own away from the Dublin squad. I think that length of ban meant that he could have no involvement with the team, so could not train with them or play in A v B games. Could be wrong on that though.

why would he not be allowed to train with the county panel?  I can't find it anywhere in any GAA documentation that this is the case when a player receives a suspension. Dublin players are on record saying he's training with them.

Bart McQueen

Can't wait to see what tactics Mickey Hart will use against Dublin. Will he employ a full press and put pressure on Cluxton's kick outs. Cluxton is fallible under pressure. This requires super fitness. On the other hand you can't sit back and invite Dublin to have a pop. How will he counter the Dublin substitutes in the second half? This is trully going to be an absorbing contest. Dublin have so many options but to beat them you must go at them for the 75 minutes especially the last 10 minutes. Lets hope the ref isn't intimidated by the crowd i.e. Mc Menenin chest shoulder on Peter Crowley in 2016 semi final or the neck pull on Donaghy in the dying minutes 2015 final each of which were ignored by the refs on the day not to mention the soft free awarded to Dublin at the end of the 2011 final that Clux took 2 minutes to convert fair play to him. Look at the replays if you need confirmation.

PW Nally

Quote from: JoG2 on August 24, 2017, 09:59:20 AM

why would he not be allowed to train with the county panel?  I can't find it anywhere in any GAA documentation that this is the case when a player receives a suspension. Dublin players are on record saying he's training with them.
Was reported at time of suspension Connolly was not to train or play with club or county. Not permitted to hurl either.

JoG2

Quote from: PW Nally on August 24, 2017, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 24, 2017, 09:59:20 AM

Was reported at time of suspension Connolly was not to train or play with club or county. Not permitted to hurl either.

Who reported this and where did they get their info? Is this the case for all suspensions?

WT4E

Is team news out tonight.

Can't see many changes in Tyrone side - only one in contention outside of starters last time would be DD. But will he start him in such a big game at a young age?

rrhf

Don't think there'll be any surprises. There's a lot of faith been placed in the plan and the first team. Our biggest problem may well be that Dublin know exactly what way we approach this game and Jim Gavin will have planned for it. The main variable in this game is Connolly's performance.

Fuzzman

There are some lads quare and naive when it comes to this Connolly suspension story.
Of course he's still training with the team and playing A v B games which are by all account the toughest games they have had all year. Diarmuid will be totally ready for Sunday fitness wise and well tuned in and I first thought Gavin won't start him but I think he probably will now, despite the HUGE impact he will have on the crowd and other players to see him come in.

From the Dublinlive website
Dublin's Diarmuid Connolly has allegedly still training with the All-Ireland Champions despite his suspension.

The terms of the St. Vincent forward's ban state Connolly is barred from "all functions and privileges of the association" after being slapped with a suspension for pushing linesman Ciaran Branagan when Dublin defeated Carlow in the quarter finals of the Leinster SFC.

Reports in The Star indicate that the GAA have not got the proper resources in place to fully police the ban, meaning there is nothing stopping Connolly from continuing to train prior to his return to the field in August.

"Diarmuid is around, but not around for everything and I think he's on his own programme as well", defender Jonny Cooper told Eir Sport.

"He's involved in the training aspects, as in the on-field things. He wasn't around for the last weekend that we were training, for example.
"I don't know what he was doing, whether he was away with work or whatever. I don't know where he was.

"But then he's on his own training programme with gym-based stuff and obviously keeping up his own conditioning. He's obviously not going to get any game time if we are to progress so it's just about trying to stay up at that level."

-----------------

I read somewhere back in June or July that the lad he assaulted that time McGowans is going to sue him now for damages, some 5 years later. Connolly must be fed up with all the hysteria around him. I missed the interview with himself and Wooly Parkinson where he asked him would he not do some media or charity work or something to boost his persona but Connolly reacted negatively and said you are just judging me cause you don't know me.
Thought this was a funny article - https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/calculating-diarmuid-connollys-beast-mode-in-that-frightening-photo-of-him-and-colm-cooper-95816

On another note, wondering what lads thought of Alan Brogan back in the 2000s when Tyrone played them. Did they feel he was Dublin's best player and did we target him?

Are many of ye going to the Enda McGinley tour on Sat morning? 11am in Croker museum.

yellowcard

If Dublin do manage to progress and Connolly does not play 45+ minutes, I can't see how Gavin will consider starting him in an AI final. He is likely to be off the pace despite Dublin's best efforts since training games simply do not ready you for the white hot intensity of an AI semi final. The best course of action for Gavin is to start him and if he is that obviously off the pace he has only used up one substitution if he needs to call him ashore early on. Bringing him on after 35/40 minutes and then finding out that he is off the pace would be far more risky.

Tyrone will bring war to this match as it is their AI final and the result will depend on the extent that Dublin are able to match this. If they match the intensity of Tyrone then Dublin should win this match, but a large doubt remains as to whether they are able to keep raising their game in matches such as these. I expect a Tyrone display similar to that against Kerry in 2003 when Kerry just had no answer to the sheer intensity and work rate that Tyrone displayed that day.       

Fuzzman

I see Teamtalkmag are doing a show tonight with Philip Jordan, Brian McGuigan, Adrian Cush and Mattie McGleenan called up for the Dubs.

http://teamtalkmag.com/2017/08/live-radio-dubs-thur-24th-aug-8pm/

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Gaffer on August 09, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
There were online queues for tickets for the Armagh game when they first went on sale  as well.

A guy was tellng me he sat for an hour before he gave up......More fool him

There were loads of tickets available online  on the Thursday and Friday lesding up  to the game and not bad ones either. I ll be picking mine up online on The Friday before the game and i ll not be sitting in any queue!!!

Sounds like there is going to be no more public tickets on sale (unless there are very late returns). I'm sure once the club allocations come out there will be tickets floating around though.

RedHand88

Anyone seen the back of todays Irish news? O'Rourke has (wrongly imo) said that "Only the Dubs stand in the way of a Tyrone All Ireland title." And who said the hype was all self generated by Tyrone??