Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

I doubt if wifi could be any good in a place with 80,000 people in it, although I suppose it works to some extent at the airport.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Boycey

Quote from: armaghniac on August 22, 2017, 06:32:19 PM
I doubt if wifi could be any good in a place with 80,000 people in it, although I suppose it works to some extent at the airport.

Ive found if you're there early and connect to the wifi quickly you will be good to go for the day.. Otherwise it's a pointless exercise

omagh_gael

Last couple of times I've been in Croker the mobile data wouldn't work. I'm assuming it was due to the numbers of people trying to access it

Syferus

Most routers can assign anything from 100 to a maximum of 253 IP adresses, depending on what type of network has been set up. Everything from a card reader to a camera to a computer or phone needs an IP address to connect to the internet. When you take out all the staff who will already be registered on the network, and all the stadium devices that need it so the number of free and valid addresses. Mostly what happens with public wifi is the network has ran out of active connections it can have at once.

It's true if you get in early and stay connected you will have preferential threatment, but that doesn't stop the speed of the network being reduced to nothing because of all the traffic.

You might assume a stadium has multiple networks (this part is probably true) and more industrial tier equipment but you'd be surprised at how budget a lot of public wifi systems are.

Do not be relying on public wifi at a packed stadium any more than you'd rely on the cellar networks.

Dire Ear

Thanks for all the replies, no problem Zig!

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2017, 07:09:53 PM
Most routers can assign anything from 100 to a maximum of 253 IP adresses, depending on what type of network has been set up. Everything from a card reader to a camera to a computer or phone needs an IP address to connect to the internet. When you take out all the staff who will already be registered on the network, and all the stadium devices that need it so the number of free and valid addresses. Mostly what happens with public wifi is the network has ran out of active connections it can have at once.

It's true if you get in early and stay connected you will have preferential threatment, but that doesn't stop the speed of the network being reduced to nothing because of all the traffic.

You might assume a stadium has multiple networks (this part is probably true) and more industrial tier equipment but you'd be surprised at how budget a lot of public wifi systems are.

Do not be relying on public wifi at a packed stadium any more than you'd rely on the cellar networks.

That's for a home/personal Class C network.

Croke Park have HD Wifi are are supposed to get 25,000 concurrent connections - most other similar stadia get between 15-20,000 concurrent connections.

Haven't connected to the public WiFi since it was installed so can't comment what the new service is like.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on August 22, 2017, 08:35:42 PM

Croke Park have HD Wifi are are supposed to get 25,000 concurrent connections - most other similar stadia get between 15-20,000 concurrent connections.

Haven't connected to the public WiFi since it was installed so can't comment what the new service is like.

That's the total network, but all it takes is the access point that you're actually connecting through to be overloaded to ruin your day. Without knowing the models or what artificial limits they've placed on them to try to preserve connectivity for the most amount of people (timeouts, throttling etc) it's all just guesswork. Certainly it's not going to be very usable if there's 5,000 people Snapchatting or watching HD FaceBook videos at once, even if it theoretically can support more.

As you said, without looking at the gear or what the settings are it's impossible to know what the limits are. Even gigabit connections can be easily maxed out at a venue like Croke Park, which is usually the issue that can't be overcome without spending so much money that it starts to not make much sense for the provider.

I just wouldn't be relying on any public wifi at a stadium if I needed it for anything critical unless I knew it was very exclusive, or I was using it before most of the supporters arrive.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2017, 09:07:07 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 22, 2017, 08:35:42 PM

That's the total network, but all it takes is the access point that you're actually connecting through to be overloaded to ruin your day. Without knowing the models or what artificial limits they've placed on them to try to preserve connectivity for the most amount of people (timeouts, throttling etc) it's all just guesswork. Certainly it's not going to be very usable if there's 5,000 people Snapchatting or watching HD FaceBook videos at once, even if it theoretically can support more.

As you said, without looking at the gear or what the settings are it's impossible to know what the limits are. Even gigabit connections can be easily maxed out at a venue like Croke Park, which is usually the issue that can't be overcome without spending so much money that it starts to not make much sense for the provider.

I just wouldn't be relying on any public wifi at a stadium if I needed it for anything critical unless I knew it was very exclusive, or I was using it before most of the supporters arrive.

Last post as I don't want to go off topic. The AP's are Cisco and there is load-balancing in place.

StGallsGAA

If any fan is going to Croker is worried about the WiFi connection  then they need a reality check as to what your team reaching Croker is all about!

Mayo4Sam14

Combined Dublin Tyrone XV?

Cluxton
McMahon McNamee McCarron
McCaffrey O'Sullivan Harte
Fenton Cavanagh
Kilkenny O'Callaghan Connolly
Rock Cavanagh Andrews
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 22, 2017, 10:57:44 PM

Cluxton
McMahon McNamee McCarron
Fenton Cavanagh
Rock Cavanagh Andrews

Tyrone players wouldn't want to be anywhere near a combined 15 since they need to get up for work of a Monday.... #dublinplayersdontwork

Syferus

Cluxton
McMahon McNamee McCarron
Fenton Cavanagh
Rock Cavanagh Andrews

You'd seriously have McNamee or McCarron before Cooper? 2017 Sean Cavanagh isn't making this team. Cormac Costello fully fit is ahead of him by a good bit. I'd take Paul Mannion, Brogan and even Kevin Mc before Cavanagh at this stage.

Also questionable taking Colm Cavanagh before James McCarthy even if he's more of a traditional midfielder, I'd prefer a proper athlete in today's game.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on August 22, 2017, 11:03:54 PM

Cluxton
McMahon McNamee McCarron
Fenton Cavanagh
Rock Cavanagh Andrews

You'd seriously have McNamee or McCarron before Cooper? 2017 Sean Cavanagh isn't making this team. Cormac Costello fully fit ahead of him by a good bit.
What injury had/has Costello. Saw him in Croke Park last Sunday at the game.

Redhand Santa

Mcnamee, McCann, colm cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly and harte would easily start in a combined 15. sean cavanagh, sludden and hanpsey wouldn't be far away.

screenexile

Dublin -3 @ 11/10 is a licence to print money lads get your house on it!!!