Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2017, 02:50:49 PM
Wel said O'Neill. That was one dirty game and the Dubs thought they could just bully us about the place. Watched a bit of it on youtube last month funny.

People were quite dismissive of Johnny Cooper's feigning injury to get McManus a card but the lad has previous form on this regard.
He got Mark Bradley sent off for nothing on the league game. If you watch the video Bradley is walking slowly towards him, Cooper stops and Bradley walks into him knocking him down and is issued a 2nd yellow card I think or was it a straight red. If we lose a man on Sunday it could spoil any chance we might have had.

To be fair, Bradley is a fcukin monster.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 19, 2017, 03:00:09 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 19, 2017, 12:35:59 AM
Friday night, I'm up in Tyrone with my 4 wee Dubliners kids all wearing their feckin tops that their cousin MDMA signed for them.
For me, living in Dublin 21 years this year, this feels like the biggest game ever between the two teams.
My first ever memory of Tyrone v Dublin wasn't the 1984 hammering that another fellow Poster once got excited about but rather was a huge national league victory in 1992 I think, ala Canavan, Cush, McGlennon and Co.

That was some day. We finished up beating them in the semi final of the league that year as well.  But that day was when it came alive for a lot of people.  We hammered them. I remember  Cush volleyed John O Learys kickout to the net from 35 yards.   Mc Gleenon cut loose that day.  There might have been 3000 or less people in Croke Park but we all invaded the field after - some craic....2nd round of the league.   
Love playing the Dubs - it will be great to see where we are at this year.  Nothing to loose as the Dubs are hot favourites in most pundits eyes and Tyrone more with an eye on next couple of years for the tin cup.  If Mayo win on Saturday there will be 31 counties supporting Tyrone on Sunday.  Feels like 86 all over again.. 

Sandy Hill

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 19, 2017, 09:51:10 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 19, 2017, 12:59:19 PM
Last night I dreamt Tyrone won by 10pts (Yeah I know, definitely a dream)

Wasn't a great game though, but the star men were Colm Cavanagh and Tiernan McCann.

This post and dream has no bearing on the game, but decided to share it anyway.

Its gonna happen Ziggy....BELIEVE!

Ziggy, read Malachy Clerkin on the back page of today's Irish Times and it'll relieve you of these crazy dreams you're having!
"Stercus accidit"

Fuzzman

Lenny he's also doing his job as the manager to speak out to get his team the fair crack of the whip as we are often bad mouthed as the master of dark arts yet Dublin are this cool great footballing side that never seem to lower themselves into diving or cheating,
When it happens a blind eye is shown yet I would imagine both teams will be reaching into their pocket of tricks on Sunday as it's when the games get tough and to this high level that this stuff tends to come out more.

Look at the video 1:19 mins in. How the hell does the linesman decide that is a straight red card. Was it appealed afterwards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRQIHAW810

A prime example of how a third ref in the stand with a TV camera can help make the right call and HELP the ref not to get it wrong.

maddog

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2017, 03:01:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 19, 2017, 09:38:03 PM
Micky Harte tried to put pressure on the ref before the Armagh game, now all of a sudden he brings up a whistling incident on Hill 16 from about 10 years ago. Would he not be better advised on getting his own house in order rather than concerning himself with something an eejit in the crowd done 10 years ago.

It's typical of Harte. He's a master of trying to manipulate the media and refs. He was in the Irish news last week saying that Dublin, Kerry and mayo are all just as defensive and negative as Tyrone and regularly play with 15 behind the ball. In that game yesterday both teams regularly left just one or 2 players in their own half when they were attacking. It was the opposite of the blanket defence shite which Tyrone use albeit very effectively. Tyrone are entitled to play that way but don't expect neutrals to like it and don't try to tarnish other teams as having the same philosophy.

Both teams had the blanket out when not in possession yesterday. I know you are saying they attacked in numbers but without the ball they mimicked Tyrone quite well albeit without so much swarming of the player in possession.

lenny

Quote from: maddog on August 21, 2017, 03:50:23 PM
Micky Harte tried to put pressure on the ref before the Armagh game, now all of a sudden he brings up a whistling incident on Hill 16 from about 10 years ago. Would he not be better advised on getting his own house in order rather than concerning himself with something an eejit in the crowd done 10 years ago.

It's typical of Harte. He's a master of trying to manipulate the media and refs. He was in the Irish news last week saying that Dublin, Kerry and mayo are all just as defensive and negative as Tyrone and regularly play with 15 behind the ball. In that game yesterday both teams regularly left just one or 2 players in their own half when they were attacking. It was the opposite of the blanket defence shite which Tyrone use albeit very effectively. Tyrone are entitled to play that way but don't expect neutrals to like it and don't try to tarnish other teams as having the same philosophy.

Both teams had the blanket out when not in possession yesterday. I know you are saying they attacked in numbers but without the ball they mimicked Tyrone quite well albeit without so much swarming of the player in possession.

That's nonsense. When mayo attacked kerry were pressing high up the pitch and regularly left just one defender up against andy moran inside the last 30-40 yards. Tyrone would have at least 5 or 6 players back there and often more than that. When kerry attacked mayo filtered players back to help their defence but they weren't stationed there waiting for the attack, they were just chasing back to help out. You'll see just how defensive tyrone are on sunday.

maddog

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2017, 04:04:11 PM

That's nonsense. When mayo attacked kerry were pressing high up the pitch and regularly left just one defender up against andy moran inside the last 30-40 yards. Tyrone would have at least 5 or 6 players back there and often more than that. When kerry attacked mayo filtered players back to help their defence but they weren't stationed there waiting for the attack, they were just chasing back to help out. You'll see just how defensive tyrone are on sunday.

Clearly watching a different match from me then.

lenny

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2017, 03:27:04 PM
Lenny he's also doing his job as the manager to speak out to get his team the fair crack of the whip as we are often bad mouthed as the master of dark arts yet Dublin are this cool great footballing side that never seem to lower themselves into diving or cheating,
When it happens a blind eye is shown yet I would imagine both teams will be reaching into their pocket of tricks on Sunday as it's when the games get tough and to this high level that this stuff tends to come out more.

Look at the video 1:19 mins in. How the hell does the linesman decide that is a straight red card. Was it appealed afterwards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeRQIHAW810

A prime example of how a third ref in the stand with a TV camera can help make the right call and HELP the ref not to get it wrong.

The linesman must've seen something there which wasn't picked up by the camera. From the tv pictures it is a complete travesty of a red card but Bradley doesn't protest too much and doesn't look completely surprised when the red card is brandished. Cooper is a great defender but plays on the edge and isn't a likeable character. Fitzsimmons is the most likeable of the dublin full back line, teak tough but fair.

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lenny

Quote from: maddog on August 21, 2017, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2017, 04:04:11 PM

Clearly watching a different match from me then.

Did you not watch the sunday game. They highlighted just how often kerry left andy moran one v one around the D with the next kerry defenders outside the 45. That would never happen in a tyrone defence.

Fuzzman

Lenny, Cooper was trying to rough him up loads before this with his usual off the ball stuff and blocking his runs and winding him up. Bradley has a great burst of speed and you can see here he was trying to make a run past him when Cooper steps into his way and it looks a bit like Bradley went for him, especially if the linesman only caught the last piece of it.
But that's what I'm saying. Cooper and McMahon go looking for those incidents and actively try to get their man wound up and sent off, a bit like Keegan does for Mayo.

After the great game yesterday I'm expecting another 2003 Puke football style of game where all year Tyrone put up huge scores and attack at will but they know this is the game they just have to get over the line and win ugly. In that league game (I know I know was only the league and Dubs only 1/4 fit) they held Dublin to 3 points in the first half.
Mark my words it will be like that again and Spillane, Brolly and prob Whelan this time will be giving out murder and how the bad smell is back.

lenny

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 21, 2017, 04:39:34 PM
Lenny, Cooper was trying to rough him up loads before this with his usual off the ball stuff and blocking his runs and winding him up. Bradley has a great burst of speed and you can see here he was trying to make a run past him when Cooper steps into his way and it looks a bit like Bradley went for him, especially if the linesman only caught the last piece of it.
But that's what I'm saying. Cooper and McMahon go looking for those incidents and actively try to get their man wound up and sent off, a bit like Keegan does for Mayo.

After the great game yesterday I'm expecting another 2003 Puke football style of game where all year Tyrone put up huge scores and attack at will but they know this is the game they just have to get over the line and win ugly. In that league game (I know I know was only the league and Dubs only 1/4 fit) they held Dublin to 3 points in the first half.
Mark my words it will be like that again and Spillane, Brolly and prob Whelan this time will be giving out murder and how the bad smell is back.

Fuzz, if that's all there was to the incident then Bradley was ridiculously unlucky to be sent off. I have a feeling though that the linesman may have caught bradley retaliating. Usually in these cases both players get yellows. Tyrone need to get ahead early in this game in order to implement their counter attacking gameplan. If Dublin get a few points ahead tyrone will have to throw off the shackles at some point and that will leave them open at the back. They probably have the players to play in a more open way but they have no match practice doing so.

Gabriel_Hurl

Late reinforcements for the Red Hands ahead of the weekend

Fuzzman

Has Luke "Sky" Connolly finally returned to his home planet on Jones road to rescue his friend Jim "Hand-Solo" Gavin from the clutches of the vile dark side force of Jabba the Harte.

Mickey's interview with the Irish Times.
Only a fool would be planning for an All-Ireland football semi-final against Dublin without thinking about Diarmuid Connolly. He may not have played or strictly speaking even trained with Dublin in 12 weeks, but Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has no doubt Connolly will feature in Croke Park on Sunday week.
"Obviously you would be a fool to dismiss the influence that Diarmuid Connolly can have on any game, and has had over the years," says Harte, speaking at a Tyrone press event ahead of their first championship meeting with Dublin since 2011.
That day, Connolly scored seven points, all from play – the difference on the scoreboard in the end too – before Dublin went on to collect their first All-Ireland in 16 years. Connolly's 12-week suspension for pushing a linesman in Dublin's Leinster championship opener against Carlow expires on the eve of next Sunday's game, and despite that lack of match practice, Harte expects to see him play at some stage.

"It's something for Jim Gavin to decide, how and when we see him, and in what context. I can't say much about the detail, but I know for sure he's certainly a strength that Dublin didn't have in their games since he got that sending off, so it is an advantage for Dublin to have him in script just now.
"He's absolutely a quality player, and has developed into an even better player than he was when he first came on the scene, and had all the natural talent and skill and ability. But he's a powerful player now, along with that.
"We always knew he was a very talented player, got all the skills, comfortable on either side, and physically imposing. And at think at that stage he hadn't developed as much power as he has now. I think he's a Connolly-plus from 2011, which means we've got to be very careful."

Serious weapon
Connolly's main strengths, says Harte, including his long-range kicking, is something they are definitely preparing for: "Of course it is, and with either foot he can kick the ball 45-yards plus. That is a serious weapon to have in your armoury. And yes, he is as good as anyone at doing that, so for sure that has to be an advantage to Dublin, to have that kind of talent at their disposal."
Harte is clearly relishing the shot at the back-to-back All-Ireland champions, in every sense, and while accepting Croke Park gives Dublin some advantage, particularly Hill 16, he also warned against Dublin supporter trying to steal some unfair advantages, like he feels they did in that 2011 meeting.
"It's almost like the 16th and 17th man, in that Hill 16 can almost suck the ball over the bar. It's like an orchestra, the tempo just rises, and everyone feels something special. So yeah, their supporters have the capacity to influence the energy of the team, but no, I don't think they can influence referees, I trust referees at this level.
"But I would say, and it was that game in 2011, and I hope it doesn't come back again, but it was a very important time in that game when we put a wonderful ball into Martin Penrose, and there was a whistle blown, from the Hill, and he just paused for that split second, and lost the opportunity of a clear cut goal. So, that wouldn't be a good thing to happen, I hope that it doesn't happen, and we have to be very aware of the possibility of that."

Tune in next week for the Umpire Strikes back as Dublin are awarded a draw right at the death  as Connolly takes a dive into the 13th minute of injury time and with Hans Gavin stuck between a Rock and a Cluxton, he sends on Jimmy Keaveny to kick the equaliser.

mrhardyannual