Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Did Tyrone always have unshakable confidence or is it a result of the 00s?

trueblue1234

Definitely not. I remember going down in the 90's and expecting to be bate. The 00's definitely helped the confidence and I mean that throughout the county. Fans traveled in expectation more than they had done.  I think some goes back to Mickey and his attitude, if you don't believe you can win, then you are going to struggle to do it. Course belief isn't enough and we've fallen short plenty of times by not having the players. But at least it gives us a chance.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

In the 90s there was always the belief going down that we were inferior.

Fuzzman

Before the 1980s, Tyrone were never really considered a force in Ulster having only won the Ango Celt in 1956,1957 and 1973.

However, Tyrone won 4 Ulster titles in the 1980s when I was a young lad and they reached the 1986 final against Kerry and maybe for the the first time I think people in Tyrone believed we might win the All Ireland some day. They had a great chance in that game and lead by 8 in that final but alas it wasn't to be thanks to goals from Spillane and Mikey Sheehy and Tyrone showing a lack of experience.

We had to wait 9 years until we got back to that stage and again we lost a controversial match against the Dubs which many thought it should have been a replay.

So those two decades were the beginning of Tyrone people believing they were good enough to sit at the top table, having watched Down, Derry and Donegal all win the big prize before they did. They often looked to have the players but not the know how to get over that final straw, some would say a bit like Mayo.

However, Mickey Harte came in and changed all that and not only has he brought the county 3 all irelands to date, he has changed how other teams view Tyrone as being one of the big guns in all Ireland football now.

So where counties like Meath, Cork and Down used to be considered powerful forces in years gone by, Mayo and Tyrone have moved up the ladder to the top table some would say.

That's why most Tyrone people have this arrogance about them when it comes to GAA football I think and they don't care if nobody likes them as that man said on the youtube video a few years back.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 17, 2017, 12:57:52 PM
Before the 1980s, Tyrone were never really considered a force in Ulster having only won the Ango Celt in 1956,1957 and 1973.

However, Tyrone won 4 Ulster titles in the 1980s when I was a young lad and they reached the 1986 final against Kerry and maybe for the the first time I think people in Tyrone believed we might win the All Ireland some day. They had a great chance in that game and lead by 8 in that final but alas it wasn't to be thanks to goals from Spillane and Mikey Sheehy and Tyrone showing a lack of experience.

We had to wait 9 years until we got back to that stage and again we lost a controversial match against the Dubs which many thought it should have been a replay.

So those two decades were the beginning of Tyrone people believing they were good enough to sit at the top table, having watched Down, Derry and Donegal all win the big prize before they did. They often looked to have the players but not the know how to get over that final straw, some would say a bit like Mayo.

However, Mickey Harte came in and changed all that and not only has he brought the county 3 all irelands to date, he has changed how other teams view Tyrone as being one of the big guns in all Ireland football now.

So where counties like Meath, Cork and Down used to be considered powerful forces in years gone by, Mayo and Tyrone have moved up the ladder to the top table some would say.

That's why most Tyrone people have this arrogance about them when it comes to GAA football I think and they don't care if nobody likes them as that man said on the youtube video a few years back.

Ní uasal agus Iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal. Meath fans had a long summer with Boylan from 84 to 02. It ended.

Tyrone had a mix of a great manager and a great cohort of players in the 00s.
But 3 all Irelands means nothing about the future. . Mayo won 3 between 36 and 51. Louth won 3. Nothing afterwards.

If Tyrone lose the next day that could be it for 20 years. Ask the Meath lads.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

WT4E

Quote from: seafoid on August 17, 2017, 01:13:47 PM

Ní uasal agus Iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal. Meath fans had a long summer with Boylan from 84 to 02. It ended.

But 3 all Irelands means nothing about the future. . Mayo won 3 between 36 and 51. Louth won 3. Nothing afterwards.

Whose Meath?

AZOffaly

Quote from: WT4E on August 17, 2017, 01:15:40 PM

Whose Meath?

Boylan's? Juice's? Jinxy's? Their Meath.

seafoid

Whose Meath?
It seems to be a bad dose of Groupthink. I think we can say Tyrone have arrived when they win Sam with 3 different teams. That would be serious.
Nonsense about believing is not. OR is God behind Tyrone?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

Who takes the frees for Tyrone this year? If there's a pressure kick late on, say 35m out, towards the sideline, will they have someone to silence the boos from the hill? If not, I think that's where they might come a cropper

trueblue1234

It could be. Same as any county (Bar Dublin and possibly Kerry). Likewise if they do manage to tag on an AI this year, it could be the start of another successful period.  I don't think anyone is saying that we are definitely going to beat Dublin. The team and fans believe that they can. There's a huge difference in believing something can happen and knowing that it will. Sure how can anyone know.

trueblue1234

Quote from: seafoid on August 17, 2017, 01:20:20 PM

Whose Meath?
It seems to be a bad dose of Groupthink. I think we can say Tyrone have arrived when they win Sam with 3 different teams. That would be serious.

If you think belief in an ability to win is nonsense then I'll leave you to it.

WT4E

Whose Meath?

God retired in 2005

ziggysego

Quote from: WT4E on August 17, 2017, 02:49:24 PM

Whose Meath?

God retired in 2005

Gone to that big place in the Sky.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Touching that seafoid is so concerned with our lads in this one, albeit in such a thoroughly uninformed fashion -- virtually all of that squad are All-Ireland winners, most recently at U-21, so the faith in them isn't totally blind and, unlike the Galway footballers, nothing, NOTHING, will be conceded before throw-in. And doesn't Jim Gavin know it! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omagh_gael

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 17, 2017, 01:32:17 PM
Who takes the frees for Tyrone this year? If there's a pressure kick late on, say 35m out, towards the sideline, will they have someone to silence the boos from the hill? If not, I think that's where they might come a cropper

Sean has been hitting all the frees from the left wing and Petey Harte from the right. Sean's accuracy has been very high this year and so has Harte's. It's been a strange year though as the vast majority of our scores have come from play and there really haven't been a whole host of free kicks scored (or even put wide).

Morgan still hitting frees from 45m + with his usual inconsistency. I'd much rather we took our chances and worked on routines for working those free kicks into scorebale shots around the 30m mark. Missed frees from distance these past few years have hit us hard on the scoreboard (And psychologically). Interestingly, in the second half last year against Mayo after Morgan and O'Neill missed a few Petey Harte had a free around the 45. H kicked a pass into a forward who made a run towards him, recieved a pop fist pass and scored a simple point. Wasn't rocket science.

Have a feeling we'll see the Dubs really go for the fouling option out round the 45/50 And see what kind of pressure they can put on our free kick game. Get the crowd on our back early doors and a few missed frees could be huge for them.