Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 14, 2017, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 14, 2017, 09:12:18 PM
Since the 22nd August 2010 Dublin have only lost 2 championship games. Once to Donegal and once to Mayo
Micky seems to have gone all in on the Donegal tactics as the way to be the third team to beat them.

Since that fateful day in August 2014 Dublin have not lost a championship match and the only team to come within 3 points of them is Mayo who have drawn with them twice.

Why is Mciky Harte so convinced this is the way to beat Dublin

Kerry lost by 2 in 2016 and by 3 in 2015...but carry on.

Ya your right. Point stays the same. Care to offer anything else

criostlinn

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 14, 2017, 09:39:06 PM
Since the 22nd August 2010 Dublin have only lost 2 championship games. Once to Donegal and once to Mayo
Micky seems to have gone all in on the Donegal tactics as the way to be the third team to beat them.

Since that fateful day in August 2014 Dublin have not lost a championship match and the only team to come within 3 points of them is Mayo who have drawn with them twice.

Kerry lost by 2 points to Dublin the All Ireland semi final last year, the sides were level with 72 minutes played and the last two Dublin points were scored deep into injury time in the 74th and 75th minute.

Not sure how convinced he is but Mr Harte probably believes Tyrone are as good as both Kerry and Mayo.

Oh I've no doubt Mickey Harte feels his team are better then Kerry or Mayo. On what basis he feels this I don't yet know  but why is he so convinced the style of football he has spent the last couple of years at is the way to go 

BennyHarp

Quote from: criostlinn on August 14, 2017, 09:44:36 PM

Kerry lost by 2 points to Dublin the All Ireland semi final last year, the sides were level with 72 minutes played and the last two Dublin points were scored deep into injury time in the 74th and 75th minute.

Not sure how convinced he is but Mr Harte probably believes Tyrone are as good as both Kerry and Mayo.

Oh I've no doubt Mickey Harte feels his team are better then Kerry or Mayo. On what basis he feels this I don't yet know  but why is he so convinced the style of football he has spent the last couple of years at is the way to go

You'd be a pretty shite manager if you weren't convinced that what you were working on for the last couple of years, was the way to go. Mickey isn't a shite manager and is probably convinced that his team are better than last year when they really should have beaten Mayo.
That was never a square ball!!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: criostlinn on August 14, 2017, 09:40:20 PM

Ya your right. Point stays the same. Care to offer anything else

You should have stopped there.

What you are failing to say is Dublin can win close games as well as blowouts.

Kerry, on the other hand, appear to have a far greater number of close losses than close wins down through the years.

INDIANA

why does the margin matter

THEY LOST.

Is that clear enough?

RedHand88

Quote from: INDIANA on August 14, 2017, 11:27:48 PM

why does the margin matter

THEY LOST.

Is that clear enough?
Well no. For example losing by 21 tells a much different story than losing by 3.

criostlinn

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2017, 10:17:49 PM

You'd be a pretty shite manager if you weren't convinced that what you were working on for the last couple of years, was the way to go. Mickey isn't a shite manager and is probably convinced that his team are better than last year when they really should have beaten Mayo.

Mickey  has gone all in on this system despite the fact they couldn't even beat Mayo with it last year. What happens if come Sunday it transpires that Jim Galvin has it sussed. Donegal 2014 was 3 years ago and Dublin are playing a different game now.

BennyHarp

Quote from: criostlinn on August 15, 2017, 12:14:22 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2017, 10:17:49 PM

Mickey  has gone all in on this system despite the fact they couldn't even beat Mayo with it last year. What happens if come Sunday it transpires that Jim Galvin has it sussed. Donegal 2014 was 3 years ago and Dublin are playing a different game now.

Tyrone aren't just Donegal 2014. And if that's what's the Dubs expect then happy days. Tyrone are better than last year.
That was never a square ball!!

Mayo4Sam14

Lads calm down, its an all ireland semi, Mickey Harte will be prepared 😂
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

yellowcard

You have to play the system that best suits the players you have at your disposal. Harte doesn't have any real marquee forwards capable of shooting the lights out a la Brogan, Rock, O Donoghue or Geaney. Most of his best players are stacked in the middle 8 and are strong athletes best suited to a running style. Therefore he has to compensate by playing this ultra defensive system. It is not pretty to watch but sometimes you have to cut your cloth to suit. Any rational manager with an ounce of sense would play a similar system as Harte. In his own words, he is not there to entertain, he is there to win. 

Fuzzman

Yellowcard, did you join Main Street and also marry a Tyrone woman as both of ye sometimes shock me with your very pro Tyrone stance.

I think it's fair to say that Mickey knows the system he has his team playing the last few years has been with playing a style to suit his players and to combat Dublin and Kerry (OK OK and maybe Mayo as well  ;D)

I don't think you will see Mickey move too far away from that template against the Dubs but there is of course the likelihood he will try somethings different.
For me kick-outs are a huge big deal in the game now and get them wrong the can lead to goal chances.
A bad short kick-out or one that a forward guesses right and intercepts can lead to a goal and in tight matches like this that can be the winning or losing of the game.
Also this year we've seen a lot more of the long kickout over the heads of the midfielders and so if it breaks right can lead to a player having a straight run through for a goal chance on the other end as Peter Harte had v Armagh but messed it up.

As Whelan said on TSG, you would not be surprised if both teams play it cagey for most of the game and let the other team win their own kick-outs so it will almost become like basketball where it's a matter of taking turns at attacks and can ye score or will it be turned over and the other team then attack.

Id say for a lot of neutrals it will not be an enjoyable game, especially if you like to see traditional kicking it in early to the FF line but for the two set of supporters and those who like tactical battles I'd say it could be a cracker.
I liked the way in recent games Tyrone have created goals chances from kicking it in long to space in behind the defence. Sean Cavanagh's pass to Mulgrew in the Armagh game was exquisite as it had to be weighted exactly right though Mulgrew still had a lot to do and resisted the blast it at the keeper option.

stew

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 15, 2017, 10:10:34 AM
Yellowcard, did you join Main Street and also marry a Tyrone woman as both of ye sometimes shock me with your very pro Tyrone stance.

I think it's fair to say that Mickey knows the system he has his team playing the last few years has been with playing a style to suit his players and to combat Dublin and Kerry (OK OK and maybe Mayo as well  ;D)

I don't think you will see Mickey move too far away from that template against the Dubs but there is of course the likelihood he will try somethings different.
For me kick-outs are a huge big deal in the game now and get them wrong the can lead to goal chances.
A bad short kick-out or one that a forward guesses right and intercepts can lead to a goal and in tight matches like this that can be the winning or losing of the game.
Also this year we've seen a lot more of the long kickout over the heads of the midfielders and so if it breaks right can lead to a player having a straight run through for a goal chance on the other end as Peter Harte had v Armagh but messed it up.

As Whelan said on TSG, you would not be surprised if both teams play it cagey for most of the game and let the other team win their own kick-outs so it will almost become like basketball where it's a matter of taking turns at attacks and can ye score or will it be turned over and the other team then attack.

Id say for a lot of neutrals it will not be an enjoyable game, especially if you like to see traditional kicking it in early to the FF line but for the two set of supporters and those who like tactical battles I'd say it could be a cracker.
I liked the way in recent games Tyrone have created goals chances from kicking it in long to space in behind the defence. Sean Cavanagh's pass to Mulgrew in the Armagh game was exquisite as it had to be weighted exactly right though Mulgrew still had a lot to do and resisted the blast it at the keeper option.

To me there are goals there for Tyrone if they can isolate the Dublin full back, the full back line is the closest thing to a weakness Dublin have and Tyrone can be explosive in front of goal and have the ponies to score goals. I see them winning this game but Dublin are brilliant as well, should be quite the contest.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 15, 2017, 10:10:34 AM

Certainly not, I'm neither pro or anti Tyrone just giving my honest opinion. I agree that this will be an overly tactical battle and the match will be won and lost on the sideline as much as it will on the field. I think if Micky Harte can win an AI with this Tyrone side, it will be his greatest ever achievement.