Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2017, 10:31:43 AM
I think it's gas the last few years the relationship between most of the Mayo and Tyrone fans and the lack of respect for each other.

I think a lot of Tyrone fans feel Mayo are a good team but are always the nearly men that just don't have what it takes to get over the line. They probably lack that inner self belief that they are good enough which gives you that little bit extra to win out close games rather than draw them.

Mayo fans can't understand Tyrone's arrogance and over confidence when they play teams like them, Kerry and Dublin and why can't they be more realistic in that they've not beaten a top team now for 9 years.
Mayo see themselves as a top 2 or 3 team for a long period of time now and use this term one of the most consistent teams about and they would say Tyrone fans don't give them enough credit for that.

This is what I think anyway and it amuses me again to read some of their posters (and Rossies & others) get annoyed that Tyrone believe they are good enough to beat Dublin.
As Mickey Harte used to say back in the 2000s, if you yourself believe you can do something then you have a good chance that you will succeed. However, if you aren't sure and don't really believe then you are already at a huge disadvantage.
In fairness to Armagh they went into their games against Tyrone in 2003 and 2005 totally believing they were going to win and that very nearly got them over the line.

I have to say I think the exact same about Tyrone the last 6 to 7 years. Like it or hate it, There are a lot of similarities between both teams.

I don't think there was much belief in Tyrone after 2008 up until Harte, with the introduction of Peter Donnelly in 2015 have completely reinvented the style of football we played.

This particular side 2015-present is a different animal to that of 2009-2015 in both terms of personell and tactics. As I mentioned a short while ago, only 6 of the side who took part in the 2013 semi final against Mayo were involved against Armagh last week.

We've been building for the last two years and I think now is time we deliver. It's a big task but I 100% believe we can put it up to Dublin and if we do that then it's anyone's game.

I think the issue Mayo have with Tyrone re-emerging is that this particular Mayo side has been around since 2011 and have been one of the top 4 sides in that particular time with Dublin, Kerry and Donegal. Unlike those sides Mayo have not got over the line and I think it irks them that Tyrone have came back in the past couple years and might jump ahead of them in the queue.

Mayo really should have won one in the last few years, I don't think they were good in 2011 or 2012 as they were comfortably beaten by Kerry in 2011 and the final was over against Donegal in 2012 after 10 minutes. 2013-2016 they really should have won one if not more, 2013 the games was there for the taking in the last 10 minutes with Dublin effectively carrying two lads with concussion and a torn hamstring. 2014, they should have seen it out against Kerry, irrespective of a few bad decisions against them from the referee and I firmly believe they had Donegal's number at that time. 2015, they should have seen it out against Dublin after going 4/5 points up with 15-20 mins to go and last year they were in the driving seat until Hennelly imploded.

It's been said alot over the past few years that Mayo are running out of time, they've confounded that by coming back but I believe they are still past their peak, even if they are still capable. I think right now Tyrone are coming into their peak. Outside of the Cavanaghs, Justy and McCarron and McCrory - all those lads are 27 and under. I think there's a bit of ire from Mayo lads to Tyrone as they know their time is near an end whereas Tyrone will be around for the next 5 years and could do it.

Dire Ear

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 13, 2017, 05:41:05 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 13, 2017, 05:24:14 PM
Thanks Main Street, just proved my point! :)
Serious chip that boy has  ;D ;D

And the winner of the 2017 prize for being oblivious to the bleedin' obvious is... :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

This is the thread about a much-anticipated game, yet recent, rather pathetic, contributions have polluted it with totally unsubstantiated claims about Seán Cavanagh - time to put up or shut the f**k up, seriously. :(

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Yea I seen Sean Cavanagh dive in the Armagh game alright. But he stopped what looked like a certain Armagh score with a fantastic block on his own half back line. Some player one of the best in the Country.

"If" Tyrone beat Dublin Sean has a chance to go level with Stephen Cluxton for the most championship games played. Particularly impressive from a man who plays outfield.

Midfield will be huge in this game. I think Tyrone will give themselves a great chance if they go man to man for Cluxtons kick outs. I don't believe in letting the opposition win their own kick outs.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good man Íseal, back to the nitty-gritty, and yes, midfield and concession of kickouts could indeed be key,

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on August 13, 2017, 06:21:46 PM
Yea I seen Sean Cavanagh dive in the Armagh game alright. But he stopped what looked like a certain Armagh score with a fantastic block on his own half back line. Some player one of the best in the Country.

"If" Tyrone beat Dublin Sean has a chance to go level with Stephen Cluxton for the most championship games played. Particularly impressive from a man who plays outfield.

Midfield will be huge in this game. I think Tyrone will give themselves a great chance if they go man to man for Cluxtons kick outs. I don't believe in letting the opposition win their own kick outs.

I'd love if they went man to man on Cluxtons kick out.

RedHand88

Quote from: Buttofthehill on August 13, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on August 13, 2017, 06:21:46 PM

I'd love if they went man to man on Cluxtons kick out.

I never understood why anyone would stand off on the kickouts.

omagh_gael

I think we'll see a mixture of pushing up and conceding kick outs on the 27th. I will be more interested to see what Dublin do. They'll have noted that most of the goal chances we've created have been from Morgan's long range kick outs being won and moved at pace into the FF line. They'll want that avenue shut down immediately.

Our gameplan has more or less been pushed on us due to the type of forwards we have available to us. As a result of this system most teams are forced to totally change their shape and system. Will the Dubs go into a defensive shell or back themselves to blow us away?

Although very early in the year this was their line up:

Cluxton; J Cooper (0-01), P McMahon (0-01), M Fitzsimons; J McCarthy, J Small, J McCaffrey; B Fenton (0-01), MD Macauley; C Basquel, C Kilkenny (0-01), N Scully; D Rock (0-06, 0-06f), E O'Gara, P Mannion.

That's not a million miles from the team that'll start in a fortnight. Interestingly, that was the first time a team avoided defeat by Jim Gavin's Dublin three outings in a row.

Scoring Zone

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 13, 2017, 08:38:54 PM
I think we'll see a mixture of pushing up and conceding kick outs on the 27th. I will be more interested to see what Dublin do. They'll have noted that most of the goal chances we've created have been from Morgan's long range kick outs being won and moved at pace into the FF line. They'll want that avenue shut down immediately.

Our gameplan has more or less been pushed on us due to the type of forwards we have available to us. As a result of this system most teams are forced to totally change their shape and system. Will the Dubs go into a defensive shell or back themselves to blow us away?

Cluxton; J Cooper (0-01), P McMahon (0-01), M Fitzsimons; J McCarthy, J Small, J McCaffrey; B Fenton (0-01), MD Macauley; C Basquel, C Kilkenny (0-01), N Scully; D Rock (0-06, 0-06f), E O'Gara, P Mannion.

That's not a million miles from the team that'll start in a fortnight. Interestingly, that was the first time a team avoided defeat by Jim Gavin's Dublin three outings in a row.

Think this is not far off, dublin struggled badly in the league to break down the Tyrone defence, only in the last 10 minutes after S.cavanagh over carried on his own 45 and munroe kicking away possession, and the momentum swung to dublin and they do not need an invitation.

What I would love to see happen and will be unlikely, is cluxton to be put on his hole when he walks to the goals by cavanagh or donnelly, for the simple reasons he won't be expecting it (keepers don't expect nor are used to the physical stuff) and to create bit of chaos, as any team that has joy in putting dublin under pressure puts cluxton under pressure and lets see how accurate he is then. Bit out there but Dublin are a class act and tyrone will have to have a few surprises up there sleeve and push the limits of their tackling. But then the man in the middle is crucial and god knows what clown will get it ::)

BennyHarp

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 13, 2017, 08:38:54 PM

If my memory served me correctly, Kerry pushed up on Cluxton's kick outs but only after free kicks. This enabled them to get into position as they knew the ball will go dead. It's too risky pushing up on every kick out as Cluxton is so quick and accurate and will catch you in no mans land. Dublin where all over the place just before half time and Cluxton was rattled big time. I suspect Mickey will have looked at this and been working on a similar plan for their kick outs.
That was never a square ball!!

tonto1888

Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2017, 05:37:11 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 12, 2017, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2017, 11:09:59 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2017, 10:17:48 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 11, 2017, 08:20:16 PM
Sorry Gael85, he is not suspended for yer game but could be for the final.

It's a joke. Nothing against McCarron but how can you pick up 4 yellows in two games and not get a suspension
You just don't. It's not that hard to understand.

Who said it was hard to understand.
Sorry, I thought you didn't know how it can happen.

My point is it does happen but in my opinion it shouldn't. It should result in a ban

Captain Obvious

RedHand88

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 14, 2017, 11:11:09 AM
Is this game officially sold out?

Not yet but it will they reckon. Need to see what clubs send back and if that allocation sells then before being a sellout

never kickt a ball

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc – 62 (19)
2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin – 98 (26)
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin – 65 (20)
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór – 100 (27)
5 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 57 (16)
6 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail – 23 (5)
7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin – 119 (40)
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh – 137 (51)
9 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chlochair – 29 (7)
10 – David Mulgrew – Ard Bó – 8 (3)
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mór – 30 (8)
12 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn 20 (6)
13 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair 36 (15)
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh 237 (87)
15 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac 93 (30)

I reckon this will be the Tyrone team to start against Dublin.