Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 12:37:49 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2017, 12:30:59 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 12:08:33 AM
Plámásing of the highest order. You'd know Brogan has Kerry blood in his veins. Mickey Harte has not done it in a while now! And when I say it I mean knocked a serious team off their Perch. This is the type of article that can set you up for a fall.

He hasn't done it in a while indeed but all the while has rebuilding a team to challenge again. The fate of Armagh, Derry, Down, Meath, Cork etc would highlight the job he has done to keep Tyrone competitive when at times we just didn't have the quality to replace what was leaving. He still seems to freak out the Dubs and Kerry. They hold him in exceptionally high esteem and almost expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat in big games.

The thing that Dublin will face, which they don't face very often, is a team absolutely ravenous to have a go at them. Most teams, especially in Leinster are beaten before a ball is kicked, Tyrone 100% believe they are going to win this game, Mickey, in my view has built a gamelan which he 100% believes will beat them. I have a feeling Dublin will adapt their game to play Tyrone, which would be a mistake and I feel that will be due to the respect they have for a team managed by Mickey.

Do they? Where do they get this belief from? Did they believe they'd beat an average Mayo side last year? Paddy Power have Tyrone at 5/2! Hardly the odds of a team to be afraid of?

I'd say the confidence comes form how Dublin struggled with their system in the two league outings since it was introduced. 1-9 and 0-10 is not what Dublin are used to registering and while it's only league, there's currently no team who defend and frustrate teams to the level Tyrone do right now.

If you're throwing the Mayo thing in from last year, they lost by a point to a side who drew and lost the replay to Dublin by 1 point. Tyrone know they badly underperformed that day yet they still had chances to rescue the game with 14 men. The year before that they cut Kerry through the middle time and time again but in the end pissed away numerous goal chances which should have won them the game.

Tyrone's confidence stems from a huge belief in the system they employ and a belief they are every bit as good as Kerry and Mayo who have tested Dublin.

The way you talk about last year would make someone think Mayo played Tyrone off the pitch and hammered them.

seafoid

https://youtu.be/GIQn8pab8Vc

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can beat the Dubs
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and say the rosary
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 11, 2017, 06:20:47 AM
Plámásing of the highest order. You'd know Brogan has Kerry blood in his veins. Mickey Harte has not done it in a while now! And when I say it I mean knocked a serious team off their Perch. This is the type of article that can set you up for a fall.

He hasn't done it in a while indeed but all the while has rebuilding a team to challenge again. The fate of Armagh, Derry, Down, Meath, Cork etc would highlight the job he has done to keep Tyrone competitive when at times we just didn't have the quality to replace what was leaving. He still seems to freak out the Dubs and Kerry. They hold him in exceptionally high esteem and almost expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat in big games.

The thing that Dublin will face, which they don't face very often, is a team absolutely ravenous to have a go at them. Most teams, especially in Leinster are beaten before a ball is kicked, Tyrone 100% believe they are going to win this game, Mickey, in my view has built a gamelan which he 100% believes will beat them. I have a feeling Dublin will adapt their game to play Tyrone, which would be a mistake and I feel that will be due to the respect they have for a team managed by Mickey.

Do they? Where do they get this belief from? Did they believe they'd beat an average Mayo side last year? Paddy Power have Tyrone at 5/2! Hardly the odds of a team to be afraid of?

I'd say the confidence comes form how Dublin struggled with their system in the two league outings since it was introduced. 1-9 and 0-10 is not what Dublin are used to registering and while it's only league, there's currently no team who defend and frustrate teams to the level Tyrone do right now.

If you're throwing the Mayo thing in from last year, they lost by a point to a side who drew and lost the replay to Dublin by 1 point. Tyrone know they badly underperformed that day yet they still had chances to rescue the game with 14 men. The year before that they cut Kerry through the middle time and time again but in the end pissed away numerous goal chances which should have won them the game.

Tyrone's confidence stems from a huge belief in the system they employ and a belief they are every bit as good as Kerry and Mayo who have tested Dublin.

The way you talk about last year would make someone think Mayo played Tyrone off the pitch and hammered them.

Did Tyrone win either of those games in which Dublin scored 1-9 or 0-10?
Have Tyrone beaten Kerry or Mayo when it counts recently?

RedHand88

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2017, 08:21:15 AM

They drew with them in the league. And have improved immeasurably since that. Is that not proof enough they can beat Dublin?

BennyHarp

I don't know what county you're from Tonto but this is the depressing defeatist attitude that seems to prevail, certainly in Leinster when teams play the likes of Dublin and all over Ireland when teams play Kerry. Ah sure, we didn't beat them last year, we've no chance this year. Thankfully, under Mickey Harte, Tyrone teams, if nothing else, don't have that inferiority complex.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2017, 08:56:22 AM

I don't know what county you're from Tonto but this is the depressing defeatist attitude that seems to prevail, certainly in Leinster when teams play the likes of Dublin and all over Ireland when teams play Kerry. Ah sure, we didn't beat them last year, we've no chance this year. Thankfully, under Mickey Harte, Tyrone teams, if nothing else, don't have that inferiority complex.

It doesn't matter a jot when you are actually inferior, though.

BennyHarp

Very true Syferus, as perfectly illustrated by Roscommon on Monday. You definitely need the ability to back it up.

yellowcard

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2017, 01:12:49 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 06:23:48 PM
Coldrick and Gough are probably the 2 best referees around now. Meath producing better referees than footballers at the minute.

Youre forgetting Cormac Reilly

There is a reason for that. His calling card will forever be that semi final in Limerick when he robbed Mayo.

yellowcard

If the Tyrone supporters belief in beating the Dubs is replicated by their players then they will have no problem on this front.

I believe this confidence is not misplaced not because Tyrone are world beaters but because there is a natural drop off in intensity that comes with winning as often as the Dubs have done. This Dubs team peaked about 2/3 years ago and whilst they are still a very good side, it is only natural that they suffer a drop off in the pure desire and manic aggression needed to get over the line in these big games. Tyrone will bring this to the table and that will more than compensate for their shortfall in quality individual players. Their strength is in the collective system that they have been rehearsing for years and which is set up to work perfectly against a side like the Dubs. They only know one way of playing and that is to defend deep in numbers and then break quickly at pace.

I don't think Dublin have any choice but to tweak their game plan and indeed they have never been as cavalier as they were in 2014 when they played arguably the most swashbuckling football seen since McGuinness revolutionised gaelic football with ultra defensive gameplans. They were ambushed in that particular match and Gavin has played a more conservative brand of football since then whenever it is required.

It is a fascinating encounter primarily because we don't really know how much the Dubs really want it when they are put to the pin of their collar. I suspect that Tyrone will play this match with a ravenous hunger similar to the Kerry semi final in 2003 and whilst it might not be a pretty spectacle I expect Tyrone to come out on top.     

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2017, 09:37:49 AM
If the Tyrone supporters belief in beating the Dubs is replicated by their players then they will have no problem on this front.

I believe this confidence is not misplaced not because Tyrone are world beaters but because there is a natural drop off in intensity that comes with winning as often as the Dubs have done. This Dubs team peaked about 2/3 years ago and whilst they are still a very good side, it is only natural that they suffer a drop off in the pure desire and manic aggression needed to get over the line in these big games. Tyrone will bring this to the table and that will more than compensate for their shortfall in quality individual players. Their strength is in the collective system that they have been rehearsing for years and which is set up to work perfectly against a side like the Dubs. They only know one way of playing and that is to defend deep in numbers and then break quickly at pace.

I don't think Dublin have any choice but to tweak their game plan and indeed they have never been as cavalier as they were in 2014 when they played arguably the most swashbuckling football seen since McGuinness revolutionised gaelic football with ultra defensive gameplans. They were ambushed in that particular match and Gavin has played a more conservative brand of football since then whenever it is required.

It is a fascinating encounter primarily because we don't really know how much the Dubs really want it when they are put to the pin of their collar. I suspect that Tyrone will play this match with a ravenous hunger similar to the Kerry semi final in 2003 and whilst it might not be a pretty spectacle I expect Tyrone to come out on top.   

My posts aren't suggesting that Tyrone fans all think we will beat Dublin easily. The points i was making is that Tyrone players (rightly or wrongly - time will tell) will enter the game with belief that they will win the game. Dublin don't face too many teams with that belief.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good to see the GAA authorities have taken action against resold tickets,for this one, above face value by cancelling them. Just beware of the holders now trying to offload them, possibly at a too-good-to-be-true price.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2017, 08:43:50 AM

They drew with them in the league. And have improved immeasurably since that. Is that not proof enough they can beat Dublin?

The league is meaningless compared to now. Fellas aren't fit. Teams try out people.
Championship is about speed and pressure. We honestly don't know how good Tyrone are 

Tyrone were good enough for Ulster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee00qR3vYhs

But Croke Park in August is a different animal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2017, 09:00:28 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2017, 08:56:22 AM

It doesn't matter a jot when you are actually inferior, though.

You really think this Tyrone team is inferior to Dublin?? Do all middle of the road counties think this? Is this why Dublin/Kerry get a free run every year???  :-\

I truly believe this Tyrone team are good enough, this is the best setup to come together since the hayday of the 00s. We threw away a 6 point lead in the league but the ship has tightened up significantly since that.
Isolate those Dublin forwards and put them under pressure when shooting and they are... meh. Watch the Monaghan game back to see, time and time again there was no hand being put on Mannion, Andrews etc. Tyrone wont give away scoreable frees by the bucketload in the way Monaghan did either, so thats Rock curtailed.

Im telling you, Tyrone are equal partners in this, not there to make up numbers.

Fuzzman

I think it's gas the last few years the relationship between most of the Mayo and Tyrone fans and the lack of respect for each other.

I think a lot of Tyrone fans feel Mayo are a good team but are always the nearly men that just don't have what it takes to get over the line. They probably lack that inner self belief that they are good enough which gives you that little bit extra to win out close games rather than draw them.

Mayo fans can't understand Tyrone's arrogance and over confidence when they play teams like them, Kerry and Dublin and why can't they be more realistic in that they've not beaten a top team now for 9 years.
Mayo see themselves as a top 2 or 3 team for a long period of time now and use this term one of the most consistent teams about and they would say Tyrone fans don't give them enough credit for that.

This is what I think anyway and it amuses me again to read some of their posters (and Rossies & others) get annoyed that Tyrone believe they are good enough to beat Dublin.
As Mickey Harte used to say back in the 2000s, if you yourself believe you can do something then you have a good chance that you will succeed. However, if you aren't sure and don't really believe then you are already at a huge disadvantage.
In fairness to Armagh they went into their games against Tyrone in 2003 and 2005 totally believing they were going to win and that very nearly got them over the line.

blewuporstuffed

What's the old saying?

'whether you believe you can or you can't you're probably right'

;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either