Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0810/896527-gaa-cancel-tickets/

Some tickets cancelled apparently. Only possible when the barcodes are available though

Ticketmaster should be cut out completely, gouging f*ckers

RedHand88

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 10, 2017, 05:06:32 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0810/896527-gaa-cancel-tickets/

Some tickets cancelled apparently. Only possible when the barcodes are available though

Ticketmaster should be cut out completely, gouging f*ckers

I didnt realise how attached Ticketmaster and Seatwave were. Its shockingly poor form from them. And their seats are usually the worst in the ground too.

screenexile

I don't think Ticketmaster are allowed to just decide to sell the tickets on seatwave at above face value.

Is it not the case someone buys a ticket off Ticketmaster then fires it up on Seatwave for whatever price they feel like?

Don't get me wrong it's corrupt as f**k. Ticketmaster get paid for selling the tickets in the first place and then they get 10% of the resale value plus VAT on whatever they go for on Seatwave!!! f**k that for a carryon the GAA need a new ticket seller!

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedHand88

yellowcard

Coldrick and Gough are probably the 2 best referees around now. Meath producing better referees than footballers at the minute.

SuperHo

Gough will probably get the final now

John Gough? Guaranteed a wean a craic then.  :) Especially with the Dubs playin

BennyHarp

Alan Brogan didn't like Tyrone much. I think in a game of inches at the top level, having a manager like Mickey Harte who clearly worries the opposition, is priceless. People may not always like everything he does but he carries a mystic that will make Kerry and Dublin worry about what he may pull out of the hat.

Alan Brogan
August 10 2017 6:26 PM
TYRONE were the team I wanted to beat more than anyone when I played for Dublin. Yes, more than Kerry. Much more.

Both of those teams inflicted horrible pain on us over those few years but Tyrone were different.
My Mam's from Kerry and I knew a lot of the Kerry lads so I could just about stomach losing to them

Or at least, I could get over it quicker.
But Tyrone?

They'd won a couple of All-Irelands. They'd spooked Kerry. They were household names.

But mostly, we didn't like them and they didn't seem to like us.
They had this weird aura around them because they'd come from nowhere and we didn't know any of them.

Judging by how they interacted on the pitch, they didn't seem particularly inclined to get to know any of us either.

Things got fairly fraught between Dublin and Tyrone in the middle part of the last decade.
When we played them, we went to war and it became an edgy, narky sort of relationship.

Obviously there was the 'Battle of Omagh' too, which didn't exactly help diplomatic relations.

That team, with Conor Gormley, Ryan McMenamin, Philly Jordan, Joe McMahon - they were hard and physical and took up permanent residency in your face when you played them.
There was bitterness there between the teams and the row in Omagh heightened that to the point where hatred festered between Dublin and Tyrone.
It was all left in the past when the teams broke up but at the time, it was fairly intense.

I'm starting to think it was because we didn't know any of them personally.
Most fellas you play against, you've met them before.

You've been in college with them or in their company on an All Stars trip and you knew their form.
But I wouldn't have known any of the Tyrone lads. I still don't.

For that reason, you didn't know what to make of them.

And when you don't know what to make of a fella, you don't want to give him an inch because you don't know how to take him or how he perceives you.
So no-one took a backwards step. And that was the nub of all the hostility.

Plus, they were a great team and we wanted to be one.

Everybody remembers the 2011 All-Ireland final and for completely different reasons, the semi-final with Donegal but few enough people recall the quarter-final that year against Tyrone.
That was the making of us that year. It was a huge win.

We hadn't won an All-Ireland at that stage and they had a handful of fellas in their team that evening who had three medals and had inflicted sickening defeats on us in 2005 and '08.

It was probably one of the most complete performances I was involved in with Dublin.
We didn't hammer them but we were dominant all over the pitch and clocked up 0-22 on a night when Diarmuid Connolly shot the lights out.

Now we hadn't exactly slayed the beast. Tyrone were on the wane at that stage, but it gave us great confidence to beat them like that.

And I'd imagine that's the way Mickey Harte will view the semi-final in a couple of weeks time - a chance for his team to establish their All-Ireland credentials against one of the very best.
We'll see a Tyrone with that sort of edge about them, the 'win at all costs' mentality that the last team had and profited richly from. From the outside, Harte looks like he's trying to build that character in the team.

It appears as though he's trying to mould them in the image of the side that tormented us in the noughties.

That was the other thing that made Tyrone seem different somehow back then - their manager.
Harte is one of the great managers.

He built a brilliant football team and won three All-Irelands in six years despite fact that the county hadn't won one in their history.

They came out of their running battle with another great team, Jack O'Connor and Pat O'Shea's Kerry, on the credit side.

But we didn't know Mickey Harte either. We didn't know his form. He had this mystique about him.

He'd do interviews where it seemed like butter wouldn't melt but then his team took to the field and they were like a pack of animals.
Honestly, to this day, I still don't know whether Mickey Harte is different behind closed doors, whether he generated that aggression and in some cases, nastiness, in his team or whether that was a natural by-product of the sort of players he had in it.

None of that antipathy lingered, mind.

We left it all on the pitch.
I usually had the pleasure of Gormley's company when we met Tyrone and he was a hard man but he was also one of the best I played on, a brilliant reader of the game and I loved those battles.

When Joe McMahon retired, I sent him a message on Twitter to say well done on a great career and let him know I enjoyed the games we had over the years.
He said the same back.

Over the next few years, it'd great to get to meet some of those guys because besides being a brilliant team, they were clearly big and interesting characters.

And to this day, I still don't really know any of them.

But mostly, we didn't like them (Tyrone) and they didn't seem to like us.
That was never a square ball!!

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

From the Bunker

Plámásing of the highest order. You'd know Brogan has Kerry blood in his veins. Mickey Harte has not done it in a while now! And when I say it I mean knocked a serious team off their Perch. This is the type of article that can set you up for a fall.

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 12:08:33 AM
Plámásing of the highest order. You'd know Brogan has Kerry blood in his veins. Mickey Harte has not done it in a while now! And when I say it I mean knocked a serious team off their Perch. This is the type of article that can set you up for a fall.

He hasn't done it in a while indeed but all the while has rebuilding a team to challenge again. The fate of Armagh, Derry, Down, Meath, Cork etc would highlight the job he has done to keep Tyrone competitive when at times we just didn't have the quality to replace what was leaving. He still seems to freak out the Dubs and Kerry. They hold him in exceptionally high esteem and almost expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat in big games.

The thing that Dublin will face, which they don't face very often, is a team absolutely ravenous to have a go at them. Most teams, especially in Leinster are beaten before a ball is kicked, Tyrone 100% believe they are going to win this game, Mickey, in my view has built a gamelan which he 100% believes will beat them. I have a feeling Dublin will adapt their game to play Tyrone, which would be a mistake and I feel that will be due to the respect they have for a team managed by Mickey.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2017, 12:30:59 AM

He hasn't done it in a while indeed but all the while has rebuilding a team to challenge again. The fate of Armagh, Derry, Down, Meath, Cork etc would highlight the job he has done to keep Tyrone competitive when at times we just didn't have the quality to replace what was leaving. He still seems to freak out the Dubs and Kerry. They hold him in exceptionally high esteem and almost expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat in big games.

The thing that Dublin will face, which they don't face very often, is a team absolutely ravenous to have a go at them. Most teams, especially in Leinster are beaten before a ball is kicked, Tyrone 100% believe they are going to win this game, Mickey, in my view has built a gamelan which he 100% believes will beat them. I have a feeling Dublin will adapt their game to play Tyrone, which would be a mistake and I feel that will be due to the respect they have for a team managed by Mickey.

Do they? Where do they get this belief from? Did they believe they'd beat an average Mayo side last year? Paddy Power have Tyrone at 5/2! Hardly the odds of a team to be afraid of?

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 12:37:49 AM

Do they? Where do they get this belief from? Did they believe they'd beat an average Mayo side last year? Paddy Power have Tyrone at 5/2! Hardly the odds of a team to be afraid of?

I'd say at training when they are discussing their gameplan, I'd doubt whether the Paddy Power odds will be mentioned.

whitey

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 06:23:48 PM
Coldrick and Gough are probably the 2 best referees around now. Meath producing better referees than footballers at the minute.

Youre forgetting Cormac Reilly

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 12:37:49 AM

Tyrone 1.0 were a great team. They defined the last decade. Part of Mickey Harte's thing is belief and a sense of entitlement.  If you have the players it can get you far . If you don't it can look stupid. Tyrone 2.0 are not the finished article. Maybe they just lack the experience.  Or perhaps they don't have the players. We will see.

Harte wouldn't be able to manage Mayo. He would be accused of notions. Would you schtop. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU