Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

punt kick

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 09, 2017, 05:26:21 PM
An absolute disgrace, the GAA should acknowledge this and tackle the issue immediately. Saw this on Twitter earlier. Four tickets in lower Hogan for €1415, FFS!

https://twitter.com/stephen88ty/status/895298733231022080?s=09

If some mug wants to buy them - what can GAA do?

Hound

Quote from: punt kick on August 10, 2017, 10:56:13 AM
An absolute disgrace, the GAA should acknowledge this and tackle the issue immediately. Saw this on Twitter earlier. Four tickets in lower Hogan for €1415, FFS!

The GAA allocated a certain amount of tickets to ticketmaster to sell. Ticketmaster have an extortionate service fee, but we have to suck that up and it's deemed fine (tickets.ie have no service charge by the way).

But ticketmaster decided that this is a big game, and they're not getting enough money out of it from the service charge. So they "sold" a number of tickets (in the '000s it seems) to their "Reseller" subsidiary Seatwave.

So when the GAA punter goes to ticketmaster, they're met with - "we don't have any tickets left, but we know someone who does, and here's a direct link to our subisidiary who will sell you the tickets for twice or 5 times or 10 times the price we were supposed to sell them at". All the extra profits goes straight to Ticketmaster/Seatwave.

So what can the gaa do? They can stop giving tickets to Ticketmaster. With tickets.ie, Supervalu and clubs, there is absolutely no need to use the gougers.

AZOffaly

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 10, 2017, 10:45:32 AM
Fuzzman, good post, agree with all of it. Just re Whelan, he was very ill for awhile over the summer and that's why he wasn't on the Sunday game.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he's better now.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on August 10, 2017, 01:40:28 PM

The GAA allocated a certain amount of tickets to ticketmaster to sell. Ticketmaster have an extortionate service fee, but we have to suck that up and it's deemed fine (tickets.ie have no service charge by the way).

But ticketmaster decided that this is a big game, and they're not getting enough money out of it from the service charge. So they "sold" a number of tickets (in the '000s it seems) to their "Reseller" subsidiary Seatwave.

So when the GAA punter goes to ticketmaster, they're met with - "we don't have any tickets left, but we know someone who does, and here's a direct link to our subisidiary who will sell you the tickets for twice or 5 times or 10 times the price we were supposed to sell them at". All the extra profits goes straight to Ticketmaster/Seatwave.

So what can the gaa do? They can stop giving tickets to Ticketmaster. With tickets.ie, Supervalu and clubs, there is absolutely no need to use the gougers.

Agree 100%

sid waddell

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 09, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on August 09, 2017, 06:30:52 PM
There were online queues for tickets for the Armagh game when they first went on sale  as well.

A guy was tellng me he sat for an hour before he gave up......More fool him

There were loads of tickets available online  on the Thursday and Friday lesding up  to the game and not bad ones either. I ll be picking mine up online on The Friday before the game and i ll not be sitting in any queue!!!

The semi final involving Dublin usually involves higher demand than the quarter finals. I don't think many tickets became available for Kerry game late last year. I'd say there will be another online allocation but it might not last long.
The game will sell out but there will be plenty of tickets floating around for face value on the day.

Fuzzman

Quote from: Taylor on August 10, 2017, 10:22:27 AM
Good analysis as always FM however I would not be as optimistic as you.

The winning & losing of this game will be IF the Dubs are in front as we come down the home stretch

My God I laughed when I read that Taylor as you have been so positive about every game we've played so far that there were a few times I thought you were on the wind up.

As you know I know a good few Dubs here in the city and I often met them after their games to discuss things and a lot of them are worried about how their old reliable forwards aren't as good as what they used to be and more so that their younger replacements like Mannion for example look great when given space but are not used to the hot white heat of a swarm defence where as soon as you get the ball there are 2 or 3 players around you.
They feel Gavin has been toying with the team thus far to get the younger lads introduced to the team and ready for the future but in reality the real business ONLY starts now and you could argue the same for Tyrone and Kerry.

I think that's why I'm expecting a similar game to last years Ulster final, maybe combined with how they played in the league where both teams will almost be shadow boxing not wanting to risk too much until maybe that so important third quarter.
A lot of the Dubs don't like O'Gara at all and think Gavin has only given him a run out here and there but I have a feeling he is a big part of Gavin's plan for Tyrone. He is so strong, can win his own ball, causes defenders havoc and even though he might be strangled for space to shoot he is well capable of winning free and penalties. If nothing else he will be a distraction to give space to other players around him and in the last 15 mins usually McManoman, Brogan and probably this time Connolly can do serious damage.

I detect from both sets of fans a certain respect and almost fear of each other and whilst many will say Tyrone have won Ulster so easily and played nobody worth while, they still know that Tyrone are a very different animal to Kerry and Mayo and won't be in any awe of them

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Rossfan

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 10, 2017, 01:43:44 PM

Agree 100%
Ditto.
Disgraceful carry on.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

That's it - don't give them any tickets for 2018 (next games on public sale)

Unacceptable that TM are charging a premium.

RedHand88

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2017, 03:53:59 PM
Coldrick is the referee...

Will help the spectacle anyway as he won't be blowing every time there is minimal contact.

sid waddell

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 10, 2017, 02:32:01 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 10, 2017, 10:22:27 AM
Good analysis as always FM however I would not be as optimistic as you.

The winning & losing of this game will be IF the Dubs are in front as we come down the home stretch

My God I laughed when I read that Taylor as you have been so positive about every game we've played so far that there were a few times I thought you were on the wind up.

As you know I know a good few Dubs here in the city and I often met them after their games to discuss things and a lot of them are worried about how their old reliable forwards aren't as good as what they used to be and more so that their younger replacements like Mannion for example look great when given space but are not used to the hot white heat of a swarm defence where as soon as you get the ball there are 2 or 3 players around you.
They feel Gavin has been toying with the team thus far to get the younger lads introduced to the team and ready for the future but in reality the real business ONLY starts now and you could argue the same for Tyrone and Kerry.

I think that's why I'm expecting a similar game to last years Ulster final, maybe combined with how they played in the league where both teams will almost be shadow boxing not wanting to risk too much until maybe that so important third quarter.
A lot of the Dubs don't like O'Gara at all and think Gavin has only given him a run out here and there but I have a feeling he is a big part of Gavin's plan for Tyrone. He is so strong, can win his own ball, causes defenders havoc and even though he might be strangled for space to shoot he is well capable of winning free and penalties. If nothing else he will be a distraction to give space to other players around him and in the last 15 mins usually McManoman, Brogan and probably this time Connolly can do serious damage.

I detect from both sets of fans a certain respect and almost fear of each other and whilst many will say Tyrone have won Ulster so easily and played nobody worth while, they still know that Tyrone are a very different animal to Kerry and Mayo and won't be in any awe of them
On an individual level there are doubts over several Dublin forwards.

O'Gara needs space. He's very easy to put off if you deny him that as his skill levels are very rudimentary and he doesn't have the awareness and quick hands of, say Kieran Donaghy. He'll be meat and drink for the Tyrone defence if he gets game time.

A lot is expected of Con O'Callaghan, but he struggled against Monaghan. O'Callaghan has been Playing all winter, and novice players have a tendency to fade in the latter stages of a championship. See Jack McCaffrey, Ciaran Kilkenny and Paul Mannion in 2013.

Bernard Brogan certainly looked back to his old self when he came on against Kildare, but that was a game where Dublin were dominant. He looked well off his old form both in the League final against Kerry and last year.

Paul Flynn has not been on top form since 2014.

And I'll never be 100% convinced that Dean Rock is top class.

For me Diarmuid Connolly must start.

Under Lights

:D Did you hear the Peter Harte has been putting Vaseline all over his arms before playing, this is so he can slip away from opposition holding him. Conal McCann must have got some on his boots that last day out though.

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2017, 03:53:59 PM
Coldrick is the referee...

Will help the spectacle anyway as he won't be blowing every time there is minimal contact.

Am I right in saying he tends to be one who lets it flow? No blowing up for half fouls?

Stall the Bailer