?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Lamh Dhearg Alba

It would be a great deal for Burnley if they could get Riordan - a better player than Lafferty - and a decent transfer fee. Wouldnt be such a good bit of business for Celtic! I doubt it will happen anyway.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 29, 2008, 02:27:20 PM

BTW your attempt at tarring Celtic fans as the same as Six counties fans shows that you have no understanding of Celtic fans, religion was never an issue with the team.

Read what I posted, which was: "... it might even be the Celtic fans who have more of a problem than NI fans, if your (misguided) post is anything to go by"

I never actually mentioned (or believe) that Celtic fans would have a problem with Laff over his religion - I'm old enough to remember the likes of McGrain, Dalglish, Jock Stein etc (though not Bertie Peacock, for example), so I know there needn't be problems on that score.

Rather, I was referring to your false assertion about his giving the finger to Celtic, or the nonsence over hassle, or the childish name-calling (Lavatory) etc, when you clearly know little or nothing about him as a player or as an individual. As I indicated, if you are typical of Celtic fans in taking against someone on limited knowledge, then it is his club support which might cause problems should he move to Parkhead, not his international supporters.

As it happens, it is not just WGS, or successive Burnley bosses, who consider Laff to be a prospect. Mick McCathy is also very keen and he will know a fair bit about him, seeing as he's managing in the same division. On which point, if it should turn out that Laff is no more than a Championship player, then I honestly think that he would fit in well at Parkhead since, with the occasional exception (Larsson, Graveson, Boruc etc), the majority of Scottish Prem players are no better than the English Championship. Well, that's my opinion, anyhow.

P.S. I'm not a "Six county fan" [sic], I'm a Northern Ireland fan - do you not realise your childish insistence on using such terms only puts you in the company of idiots like Fearon?  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 29, 2008, 03:59:12 PM
It would be a great deal for Burnley if they could get Riordan - a better player than Lafferty - and a decent transfer fee. Wouldnt be such a good bit of business for Celtic! I doubt it will happen anyway.
dunno
it looks like off field problems with Riordan have tainted strachans opinion of him and as a result, the lad hasnt had much of a chance for celtic.

would agree with you that it would be great business for burnley, laffertys 'scoring' record doesnt fill you with confidence (unless yer a hearts or rangers fan)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 29, 2008, 04:24:37 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 29, 2008, 02:27:20 PM

BTW your attempt at tarring Celtic fans as the same as Six counties fans shows that you have no understanding of Celtic fans, religion was never an issue with the team.

Read what I posted, which was: "... it might even be the Celtic fans who have more of a problem than NI fans, if your (misguided) post is anything to go by"

I never actually mentioned (or believe) that Celtic fans would have a problem with Laff over his religion - I'm old enough to remember the likes of McGrain, Dalglish, Jock Stein etc (though not Bertie Peacock, for example), so I know there needn't be problems on that score.

Rather, I was referring to your false assertion about his giving the finger to Celtic, or the nonsence over hassle, or the childish name-calling (Lavatory) etc, when you clearly know little or nothing about him as a player or as an individual. As I indicated, if you are typical of Celtic fans in taking against someone on limited knowledge, then it is his club support which might cause problems should he move to Parkhead, not his international supporters.

As it happens, it is not just WGS, or successive Burnley bosses, who consider Laff to be a prospect. Mick McCathy is also very keen and he will know a fair bit about him, seeing as he's managing in the same division. On which point, if it should turn out that Laff is no more than a Championship player, then I honestly think that he would fit in well at Parkhead since, with the occasional exception (Larsson, Graveson, Boruc etc), the majority of Scottish Prem players are no better than the English Championship. Well, that's my opinion, anyhow.

P.S. I'm not a "Six county fan" [sic], I'm a Northern Ireland fan - do you not realise your childish insistence on using such terms only puts you in the company of idiots like Fearon?  ::)

My dislike of Lavatory/Lafferty has nothing to do with the young fella, as I know about him other then his stats for his club.
My distain rather is towards the prospect of my team making a massive and costly mistake in signing him. And by calling him a shite player, I stand by that!
My use of the Lavatory handle (no pun intended) was to empathsis my thought on the boy as a soccer player, not on him as a person - although I'm sure he will not be losing any sleep over what he's called here!
As for what you call yourself, I really don't give a flying fcuk, I don't called this place "northern" Ireland, as its not, unless you include Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan, all of which have areas more northernly then parts of the six counties.

As for who I have or haven't seen playing for Celtic, well lets just say it's a long and comprehensive list, which I'm not going to go into here.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Hail Hail
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 29, 2008, 04:58:43 PM
As for what you call yourself, I really don't give a flying fcuk, I don't called this place "northern" Ireland, as its not, unless you include Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Monaghan, all of which have areas more northernly then parts of the six counties.

Hail Hail

It's not a question of Geography, or even Politics - the name of the football team is "Northern Ireland".

Onwards and Upwards
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 29, 2008, 11:39:45 AM

The wee p***k was courted last season and stuck the single digit up to the Hoops when somebody else came in - fcuk him, we don't need a Burnley reject!!

Lafferty sticks another two fingers up..........................  to GDA!  ;)

Teamtalk.com

Bhoys linked with £6m double swoop
Celtic have reportedly tabled bids totalling almost £6million for Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty and Manchester City frontman Georgios Samaras.

The Greece international had looked set to join Rangers on loan but is now apparently due at Parkhead for a medical and to discuss terms.

Samaras cost City £6million when they signed him from Heerenveen, but he has fallen down the pecking order under Sven-Goran Eriksson and is looking to move to boost his chances of playing at Euro 2008.

He told the Daily Record: "At this moment I need to find somewhere to play football. I have the European Championship this summer and I need to play games before then.

"I would be happy to go to Scotland. I would not have any problem with leaving the Premier League - playing football is the main thing for me."

Celtic are also said to be hopeful of signing Lafferty before the transfer window shuts.

And a source close to the player said: "Kyle is very keen to get this move but only if the clubs can agree.

"He knows how big Celtic are and that it would be a wonderful opportunity for him.

"Kyle knows all about the offer and is waiting to find out if Burnley want to accept. He's excited about the possibility and we'll all know soon enough.

"Celtic's offer is a new one and it's also a good one and the fact they are trying again to get him shows how much they rate him.

"This would be a good move and the offer being made should also please Burnley but we'll see within the next couple of days."

Bhoy oh Bhoy Kyle
Lafferty set to seal his dream move to Celtic
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
By Graham Luney
Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland international Kyle Lafferty is on the brink of sealing a dream move to Scottish Premier League giants Celtic.

Lafferty had become the focus of an Old Firm tug-of-war during the January transfer window but Celtic are close to getting their man.

The Hoops have kept the 20-year-old hitman under their microscope and Parkhead boss Gordon Strachan has found the extra cash he needs to snap up the rising star.

Strachan bid £500,000 for Lafferty last January but the Burnley board are now willing to let their promising young talent leave for a higher fee.

Lafferty is a big Rangers fan but he would still love to pull on the Hoops jersey.

He said: "Celtic are a huge club and I'm honoured to be the subject of a bid. I grew up supporting Rangers but that wouldn't stand in my way."

Strachan has been impressed by Lafferty's performances on the international stage and the Kesh man knows a switch to Glasgow could greatly enhance his Northern Ireland prospects.

Lawrie Sanchez was keen to bring Lafferty to Fulham but his exit from Craven Cottage left Celtic in pole position to land their target.

Burnley boss Owen Coyle is reluctant to sell his prized asset but an offer of around £2million would not be turned down

Kyle Kyle Hail Hail    :D :D :D :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

AZOffaly

If he does sign, it'll be a good test at Windsor to see how far the FFA campaign has come.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 29, 2008, 07:41:27 PM
If he does sign, it'll be a good test at Windsor to see how far the FFA campaign has come.

Good point AZ, but like the Munich silence coming up it only takes one or two tossers to taint a larger group.

From a Celtic point of view I think this signing would not be good business, he looks too much like Jan Venison of hasselbaink to me in his play.  Celtic need another top notch goal scorer to take some of the heat of McDonald.  This is an established Chapmions League team after all. 
Celtic bashing is all too easy, Celtic and rangers will always be victims of their own success in the SPL.

corn02

Actually think it would be a great signing for the Hoops. He is  young, strong and looks full of potential. In a few years I would expect him to be an excellent striker. Certainly good enough for Celtic.

Main Street

Good enough for Celtic V Barcelona?

corn02

Well if McDonald, Hessilink et al struggle to see off the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock etc it is safe to say they are not on a level par with Barcelona.

Gabriel_Hurl

I see "Magic" has signed for a team over here

Main Street

Quote from: corn02 on January 29, 2008, 11:17:36 PM
Well if McDonald, Hessilink et al struggle to see off the likes of Falkirk, Kilmarnock etc it is safe to say they are not on a level par with Barcelona.
That was not the question.
Celtic are not on a par with Milan either, thats friggin obvious and not relevant.
Sounds like you are being dismissive of an SPL team having the audacity to even compete in the CL, never mind aspire to get past the last 16. 

corn02

So what was the question?> If it was is he good enough for Celtic v barcelona my answer would be yes. There is no striker at the club that would get neat the Camp Nou, and I believe Lafferty would be as good as what Celtic have at the moment. So therefore he is good enough for the game but like all the Celtic players he is a mile off Barcelona standards.

I would love to see Cetlic progess, but if they did not even the most blinkered fan could claim they were on a level bar with Barcelona. Soit is friggin relevant.