?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

blasmere

Quote from: T Fearon on November 21, 2007, 03:14:55 PM
Yes I nown shares in Celtic. Yes even if I do nsay so myself, I know more about soccer than anyone on this Board, including OWCers.

The abuse Reid took surprised me but I suspect that it was more about political opposition from SNP members. I was there early and got a seat in the very front row, and his face was definitely bright red when the tirades were raining down on him. He mounted a robust defence though, and his instalment as Chairman was never in doubt. I actually felt like getting up and defending him for his work in the six counties. I actually got to meet him afterwards and apologised for not doing this and he told me, and I quote, "You bloody well should have done!". Suppose he wouldn't be a politician if he wasn't able to take flak. It was quite humourous really. Those opposing him only expected at best a protest vote but I would estimate that less than 10% of those present raised their hands to support the protest. One guy claimed he had supported Celtic for forty years but would now be cancelling his season ticket, which prompted another wag to shout out "Can I have it?" ;D Also when another guy proposed Police to patrol the ground with "big alsatians" during games to prevent a repeat of the Dida incident, Reid said "Can I have an alsatian please? ;D ;D

Alan Brazil deals poignantly with abuse at the Celtic Boys Club in his book "There's an awful lot of bubbly in Brazil" He was subject to it himself and he travelled to Glasgow, not too long ago, to testify against the perpetrator in court which more or less secured the perpetrator's conviction. Brazil makes it clear in his book that when Big Jock got to hear about it he got the perpetrator out of the club pronto, but apparently he worked his way back in after the Big Man had gone. It was explained by the Board that the Stein family were happy with the way it was being handled by the club currently.

Incidentally spent a great couple of hours in the Museum of Scottish Football over at Hampden on Monday afternoon after the Celtic AGM. It really is a wonderful experience, apart from constant reruns of ARchie Gemmill's goal V Holland in Argentina 78. The legend section is brilliant, wee Gordon Strachan was just intalled in it last week. Most of the Lisbon Lions and Big Jock are in there as are tow Spurs greats, Dave Mackay and the late John White. They have a video biography on each of the legends, a life size portrait of each and there are cards there for you to nominate others who you thinks should be considered in the future. I nominated Martin O'Neill and Charlie Tully. Also they have reconstructed a dressing room from the old Hampden in the museum, with boots strewn over the benches and a couple of Scottish jersies hanging up and a couple of civilian suits as if the dressing room was in current use). You can also smell the wintergreen! Absolutely class and I think the FAI should consider something similar for the new Lansdowne

If ever there was an irritating idiot onthe radio it's alan brazil. When talking about a boatful of asylum seekers of the coast of the uk, he said it should be sunk, we don't need more of these scroungers in this country. He's a grade a plonker, a bit like jeremy clarkson!
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on November 21, 2007, 03:14:55 PM
They have a video biography on each of the legends, a life size portrait of each and there are cards there for you to nominate others who you thinks should be considered in the future. I nominated Martin O'Neill and Charlie Tully.

Two fine choices, but you should have suggested the late, great Bertie Peacock, to make it a trio of heroes from Norn Iron (that's assuming "The Little Ant" isn't already there)

P.S. I hope you mentioned that Charlie Tully got his breakthrough in football when spotted by a scout as a youngster, playing at an RUC Sports Day at Windsor Park: that should swing it!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Believe it or not I actually considered Peacock but thought that 3 would be pushing it.

Tis a pity alright that the likes of O'Neill and Tully were compelled to represent an alien international side. If only FIFA had introduced the new ruling allowing Irish born players to play for Ireland at the time the IFA forced the split in Irish soccer

nifan

QuoteIf only FIFA had introduced the new ruling allowing Irish born players to play for Ireland at the time the IFA forced the split in Irish soccer

priceless :D

SammyG

Quote from: T Fearon on November 21, 2007, 04:54:02 PMIf only FIFA had introduced the new ruling allowing Irish born players to play for Ireland at the time the IFA forced the split in Irish soccer
Are you trying to win a competition, for the most incorrect statements in a single sentence?

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on November 21, 2007, 04:54:02 PM
Believe it or not I actually considered Peacock but thought that 3 would be pushing it.

Tis a pity alright that the likes of O'Neill and Tully were compelled to represent an alien international side. If only FIFA had introduced the new ruling allowing Irish born players to play for Ireland at the time the IFA forced the split in Irish soccer

No, no, Tony, they weren't little green men, the shirts were green...

And for someone who proclaims himself an expert on what he terms "soccer", you should know that the FAIFS was not "forced" to do anything when it split from the Irish Football Association. Moreover, it was the IFA team which was known as "Ireland" both before and after the breakaway; the other lot called themselves the "Irish Free State".  

3/10 - Must Do Better...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

The IFA forced the split by

1.Not allowing Sunday soccer

2. By only selecting Southern Born players for certain fixtures etc

By the way I do not consider the current "IFA" to be the oldest soccer association in Ireland. The way I look at it is that the FAI was born out of the original IFA, and the portion remaining in Belfast, who wouldn't and wont consider an All Ireland team, are merely a dissident rump. The FAI is the true "Irish Football Association" that can legitimately trace its roots back to 1870

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Looking like Artur and Naka may miss tomorrow's must win match!
Tbc....

lfdown2

2-0 will leave the last game needing a 6 goal swing providing milan win tonight!

will miss arthur and naka (think he is 100% out),  what ye's think teamwise?

AB/MB,
GC, SMCM, JK, LN,
PH, SB, JJ, AMCG,
  SMCD, JVOH

Croí na hÉireann

Think it's essential that Hartley and Brown play in the middle. Would put Jarosik on the right or failing that Donati.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

I miss Nakamura, what is the story with his injury? I thought he was on the bench against Benfica?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 27, 2007, 11:53:29 AM

AB/MB,
GC, SMCM, JK, LN,
PH, SB, JJ, AMCG,
  SMCD, JVOH

I'd prefer to see O'Dea playing instead of either Kennedy or Naylor to be honest
but I reckon you are near what GS will select.

its a hard call for him though

will he go with the 451 initially with Hartley playing his suerb holding middle midfield role protecting that very shaky back 4.
or
will he go 442 and go after the win Celtic need.

I think he will start out cautious, then go for the win.
I think Jarosik will start, Donati seems to be out of favour following his tem loss in form.

Brown in the middle, McGeady on the left, with JJ or Hartley a toss up for the other wing and central midfield slot.Prob JJ on the wing.
I'd expect
AB
GC, SMCM, JK, LN,
JJ, SB, PH, AMCG,
  SMCD, JVOH

lfdown2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 27, 2007, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on November 27, 2007, 11:53:29 AM

AB/MB,
GC, SMCM, JK, LN,
PH, SB, JJ, AMCG,
  SMCD, JVOH

I'd prefer to see O'Dea playing instead of either Kennedy or Naylor to be honest
but I reckon you are near what GS will select.

its a hard call for him though

will he go with the 451 initially with Hartley playing his suerb holding middle midfield role protecting that very shaky back 4.
or
will he go 442 and go after the win Celtic need.

I think he will start out cautious, then go for the win.
I think Jarosik will start, Donati seems to be out of favour following his tem loss in form.

Brown in the middle, McGeady on the left, with JJ or Hartley a toss up for the other wing and central midfield slot.Prob JJ on the wing.
I'd expect
AB
GC, SMCM, JK, LN,
JJ, SB, PH, AMCG,
  SMCD, JVOH

think it has to be 442 would be a disaster to start cautiously at home, would let shaktar settle into the game, with the ball thumped up to scott at every oportunity the defence would surely be on top, need to hit them right from the start!!

btw did donati ever have much form?bit of a disappointment i think!

PS shaktar not going so well in the league and check out this from a recent game!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV5oMgHs7hk

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Agree, WGS needs to go for win, not sure about Jiri over Donati, but one thing I'm definate about is the need to leave Sno at home.!!

HAIL HAIL
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

saw donati a few times earlier in the season and he and brown both loked great, in fact at the start I thought donati was the better player.
Form for me dipped two weeks before that rangers game
hasnt really got his place back since.
Sno still finding his game and learning for me, just not ready...he's 20