Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 07, 2007, 03:33:34 PMYer man was booked earlier last night , and could have seen red earlier if the ref was that way inclined (if the player wore a celtic jersey and was playing against rangers in the spl)

Don't think he was. I remember him putting in a right few borderline challenges but don't remember him getting booked. Skysports and bbc just has him down for a red.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

nifan

Terrible challenge and brown was lucky not to get his leg broken.

Nobody else think Brown was guilty of a little time wasting after that though> When he sat down for the physio to come on and was smiling when he came over?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: nifan on November 07, 2007, 04:55:03 PM
Terrible challenge and brown was lucky not to get his leg broken.

Nobody else think Brown was guilty of a little time wasting after that though> When he sat down for the physio to come on and was smiling when he came over?

there was a wee smile allright nifan but i'd be smiling as well if i could walk after that tackle, as regards time wasting i don't think so ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the milkman

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2007, 01:43:16 PM
Incidentally ordered the new book to-day about George Connelly. Older Celts will remember him as an outstanding talent who couldn't hack the pressures of football and literally walked out on Celtic and a professional career. Should be an interesting read

Yeah i reckon it il be a great book.There was a preview of it in the daily ranger about 2weeks ago should be a good read, the man had a tough life by the sounds of it!

My da reckons he would have gone on to be one of the best ever Celts, sad stuff!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Will take the 3 points, but not a great performance from the Celts!
Shaktar will be a tougher match and I'm worried we may not be up for the challenge!!
A win is essential, but a high goal win would be fantastic and really take the pressure off the last match in the San Siro.

Hail Hail
Tbc....

T Fearon

Will be attending this next Monday, and will happily pose any questions on behalf of Celts on this Board.

Please supply a list of questions here, but I am not going to enquire about Evander Sno's frequent inclusion on the side as it is anticipated that 500 others will be asking this question ;D

T Fearon

Boy that was rough over in Paradise yesterday!

Vociferous opposition to John Reid's appointment as Celtic Chairman. One guy asked "Do we really want a War Criminal leading our Club?"

Other developments

High praise and a standing ovation for Wee Gordon Strachan

High praise and a standing ovation for outgoing Chairman Brian Quinn who was very emotional

A statue to Jinky Johnsgton to be erected at Celtic Park

Suggestion from the floor that Police with and I quote "big alsatians to eat anyone trying to get onto the pitch" to be deployed.

Scurrilous rumours being spread by Huns fans in relation to the late Jock Stein, thoroughly condemned.

Rav67

How come you were at it Tony do you own many shares in the club?  Heard about the Reid protest, lot of opposition to him and he will get a mixed reception if he is unveiled before a game.  I heard he said this job was his "biggest honour" though. 

the milkman

"Scurrilous rumours being spread by Huns fans in relation to the late Jock Stein, thoroughly condemned"

Glad to hear that, a disgrace them stories!

From what I read John Reid seemed to handle it well though!

new devil

ziggysego

Quote from: new devil on November 20, 2007, 08:44:55 PM
What were the rumours?

Tony knows his stuff about soccer. Naturally people are furious with that remark.
Testing Accessibility

new devil

Quote from: ziggysego on November 20, 2007, 08:51:16 PM
Quote from: new devil on November 20, 2007, 08:44:55 PM
What were the rumours?

Tony knows his stuff about soccer. Naturally people are furious with that remark.

??? what remark

new devil

:D :D sorry ive just had a read over that again

Evil Genius

Hmmmm:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2213799,00.html
Attacks and accusations greet incoming Reid at Celtic

Ewan Murray
Tuesday November 20, 2007
The Guardian

John Reid suffered a baptism of fire at his inauguration as Celtic chairman yesterday when he was barracked as a "war criminal" from the floor at the Glasgow club's AGM.
There have been rumblings of discontent from the more radical elements of the Scottish champions' support since it was announced that Reid, a former home, defence and Northern Ireland secretary, would replace the outgoing Brian Quinn. A minority group of vocal fans have made it plain they feel Reid's role as a member of the Labour government, which played a key role in the invasion of Iraq in 2003, is at odds with the compassionate traditions of their club.

One shareholder told the Celtic board that Reid's appointment represented "a direct contradiction to the principles upon which the club was founded" and that the new chairman was "not fit for purpose".
Such sentiments were echoed by others, including Jeanette Findlay of the Celtic Supporters' Trust, who claimed Reid would be "forever identified with a political and human disaster" and that he was a "hate figure at home and abroad". Amid similar comments - one supporter said he had been visiting Celtic Park for 60 years but would not renew his season ticket on account of Reid's new role - and at least one call for order from Quinn, the new chairman issued a typically impressive and robust reply.

"This is the greatest honour of my life," said the MP for Airdrie and Shotts, who will leave parliament at the next general election. "Let me make one point clear: people have the right to their views on politics and religion, but they should leave them at the door of this football club. I have never been accused of walking away from any political debate or fight, but there are other forums to have that debate."

Confirmation of Reid's appointment was inevitable - he had gained 97.8% of the proxy votes from corporate and absent shareholders - but the sight of around 50 of the 400 supporters in attendance raising their hands against the motion to place him in office suggests tough times may be ahead for the new chairman.

The former cabinet minister highlighted his role in dealing with problems in Northern Ireland, Kosovo and Sierra Leone in attempting to pacify concerned supporters. Quinn had earlier dismissed accusations that Reid was a war criminal as "ludicrous", adding that Reid's political views were "no business of mine or the rest of the board".

Curious phrase: "contradictory to the principles upon which the club was founded". Perhaps another way of putting it might have been "not Celtic-minded".  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Yes I nown shares in Celtic. Yes even if I do nsay so myself, I know more about soccer than anyone on this Board, including OWCers.

The abuse Reid took surprised me but I suspect that it was more about political opposition from SNP members. I was there early and got a seat in the very front row, and his face was definitely bright red when the tirades were raining down on him. He mounted a robust defence though, and his instalment as Chairman was never in doubt. I actually felt like getting up and defending him for his work in the six counties. I actually got to meet him afterwards and apologised for not doing this and he told me, and I quote, "You bloody well should have done!". Suppose he wouldn't be a politician if he wasn't able to take flak. It was quite humourous really. Those opposing him only expected at best a protest vote but I would estimate that less than 10% of those present raised their hands to support the protest. One guy claimed he had supported Celtic for forty years but would now be cancelling his season ticket, which prompted another wag to shout out "Can I have it?" ;D Also when another guy proposed Police to patrol the ground with "big alsatians" during games to prevent a repeat of the Dida incident, Reid said "Can I have an alsatian please? ;D ;D

Alan Brazil deals poignantly with abuse at the Celtic Boys Club in his book "There's an awful lot of bubbly in Brazil" He was subject to it himself and he travelled to Glasgow, not too long ago, to testify against the perpetrator in court which more or less secured the perpetrator's conviction. Brazil makes it clear in his book that when Big Jock got to hear about it he got the perpetrator out of the club pronto, but apparently he worked his way back in after the Big Man had gone. It was explained by the Board that the Stein family were happy with the way it was being handled by the club currently.

Incidentally spent a great couple of hours in the Museum of Scottish Football over at Hampden on Monday afternoon after the Celtic AGM. It really is a wonderful experience, apart from constant reruns of ARchie Gemmill's goal V Holland in Argentina 78. The legend section is brilliant, wee Gordon Strachan was just intalled in it last week. Most of the Lisbon Lions and Big Jock are in there as are tow Spurs greats, Dave Mackay and the late John White. They have a video biography on each of the legends, a life size portrait of each and there are cards there for you to nominate others who you thinks should be considered in the future. I nominated Martin O'Neill and Charlie Tully. Also they have reconstructed a dressing room from the old Hampden in the museum, with boots strewn over the benches and a couple of Scottish jersies hanging up and a couple of civilian suits as if the dressing room was in current use). You can also smell the wintergreen! Absolutely class and I think the FAI should consider something similar for the new Lansdowne