China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

80,000 people still receiving pandemic unemployment benefit. I wonder how many will have jobs to go back to.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2022, 07:03:41 PM
80,000 people still receiving pandemic unemployment benefit. I wonder how many will have jobs to go back to.

Where these jobs available before the pandemic?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2022, 06:05:07 PM
Endemic is a permanent state. If the next variant is more lethal than Delta the ICUs won't be able to cope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAvMIhvqfk&t=6s

Nope.

It'd need to be both more lethal than Omicron and more transmissible than Omicron.

Those two are mostly mutually exclusive.

Therefore, we're entering endemic stage.
i usse an speelchekor

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2022, 07:07:37 PM

There have never been more jobs in the North
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 21, 2022, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2022, 07:07:37 PM

There have never been more jobs in the North

Loads of jobs so I was querying seafoid's post
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 21, 2022, 07:15:13 PM
Endemic is a permanent state. If the next variant is more lethal than Delta the ICUs won't be able to cope.

Nope.

It'd need to be both more lethal than Omicron and more transmissible than Omicron.

virologist here is suggesting similar but a little more cautious than you RGG

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/as-restrictions-ease-government-should-bolster-covid-defences-says-virologist-1245896.html

HiMucker

Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2022, 01:07:08 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 21, 2022, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: savocake on January 21, 2022, 12:03:51 PM
Anyone here have thon booster jab? Got a text there telling to get it heard it leaves a brave few people in bad oul shape.
Felt shite for a full day after it. Was like a very bad hangover. Was grand though the next day.
Got that text from the HSE also but had already got my booster at that stage.

Yip same as that and most people I know have been the same. I had no side effects from the 1st two. A dirty hangover is the best description of it.
I was shivery for 3 or 4 days after the booster. Was moderna. I know a right few people who had the same reaction or a bit worse though still nothing to be actually concerned getting it. I had nothing after the first two jabs.

lenny

It's mad that all these restrictions are being lifted and we're getting our freedoms back. The anti vaxxers said that once they were imposed we'd never get them back. I'm not sure if I can trust those guys any more.

seafoid

Nope.

Naw.

Le Monde covered this after someone on social media said Covid was endemic . I will try a translation

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/09/24/endemie-un-terme-employe-sur-les-reseaux-sociaux-mais-inadapte-pour-qualifier-le-covid-19_6053480_4355770.html
Quant à savoir si le Covid-19 deviendra « endémique », c'est envisageable, selon Fabienne El-Khoury, chercheuse en épidémiologie à l'Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (Inserm). Elle explique qu'une maladie peut devenir endémique si aucun vaccin n'existe, comme dans le cas du virus de l'immunodéficience humaine (VIH, responsable du sida), ou si un vaccin donne une immunité de courte durée.

Endemic is possible if
1. No vaccine exists
2. there is only a short term vaccine. HIV is endemic.

https://www.lemonde.fr/les-decodeurs/article/2020/09/24/endemie-un-terme-employe-sur-les-reseaux-sociaux-mais-inadapte-pour-qualifier-le-covid-19_6053480_4355770.html
« Il y a toujours des cas qui apparaissent de façon sporadique dans une population, mais l'incidence de la maladie [c'est-à-dire le nombre de cas pendant une période donnée au sein d'une population] ne baisse pas et n'augmente pas »

Endemic means the incidence of Covid during a given period neither falls nor increases.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JoG2

Quote from: lenny on January 21, 2022, 08:03:56 PM
It's mad that all these restrictions are being lifted and we're getting our freedoms back. The anti vaxxers said that once they were imposed we'd never get them back. I'm not sure if I can trust those guys any more.

Yep, Covid passports were here to stay. The narrative now is that they are being dropped as they obviously didn't work.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 21, 2022, 07:32:45 PM

Nope.

virologist here is suggesting similar but a little more cautious than you RGG

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/as-restrictions-ease-government-should-bolster-covid-defences-says-virologist-1245896.html

Can't really disagree with his main thrust.

(i) Health services have been shown to have insufficient capacity and reserve. Its not as if they don't madly creak every winter.
(ii) Responses in the Western world were diabolically slow and disorganised compared to how most of modern Asia fared.
(iii) A system that can scale up quickly for testing would be very useful - if hard to see how it could be implemented in practice.

Then beyond the article a few thoughts of my own.
(i) Really shows the danger of having people work in both hospitals and care homes. Its not as if Covid is the only infection that can go from one to the other via workers with deadly consequences.
(ii) The danger of vested interests + stupidity + social media is laid bare for all (with more than a single digit IQ) to see. Facebook etc really are more trouble than they are worth considering the widely acknowledged mental health issues caused by social media long before the pandemic.
(iii) The golden rule of dealing with an epidemic or pandemic is simple - act hard early. You can always relax later if it isn't as bad as feared, but you can never get back control if you've been sitting on your hands for a few weeks.
i usse an speelchekor

Tony Baloney

Quote from: HiMucker on January 21, 2022, 07:52:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2022, 01:07:08 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 21, 2022, 12:51:05 PM
Quote from: savocake on January 21, 2022, 12:03:51 PM
Anyone here have thon booster jab? Got a text there telling to get it heard it leaves a brave few people in bad oul shape.
Felt shite for a full day after it. Was like a very bad hangover. Was grand though the next day.
Got that text from the HSE also but had already got my booster at that stage.

Yip same as that and most people I know have been the same. I had no side effects from the 1st two. A dirty hangover is the best description of it.
I was shivery for 3 or 4 days after the booster. Was moderna. I know a right few people who had the same reaction or a bit worse though still nothing to be actually concerned getting it. I had nothing after the first two jabs.
All saft Derry men?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2022, 08:42:03 PM

Yep, Covid passports were here to stay. The narrative now is that they are being dropped as they obviously didn't work.
Who said that? I thought they were here to allow us to go out during Covid? Now that the variant isn't dangerous we'll hardly need them?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2022, 08:06:53 PM
Naw.

Le Monde covered this after someone on social media said Covid was endemic . I will try a translation

Endemic is possible if
1. No vaccine exists
2. there is only a short term vaccine. HIV is endemic.

Endemic means the incidence of Covid during a given period neither falls nor increases.

It will become endemic in the same way the flu is broadly considered endemic even if it doesn't necessarily meet all criteria of the definition of endemic.

Which is good enough.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2022, 09:26:03 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2022, 08:42:03 PM

Who said that? I thought they were here to allow us to go out during Covid? Now that the variant isn't dangerous we'll hardly need them?

Every conspiracy theorist out there Inc ones in here. 'They' are out to get us, control us, take away our civil liberties, freedom and all that kind of stuff. Passports are here to stay, this is only the start etc etc
And most right thinking people knew it was a temp measure designed to protect.