New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: laoislad on January 25, 2022, 12:49:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 25, 2022, 11:45:15 AM
It's a pity alot of the German cars are now boring and fugly looking. They haven't really moved on with their designs. People like paying for the badge which is fair enough if that's what they want but there isn't a BMW or Audi or VW I'd buy right now as I think they all look bland.
Actually I would like the VW Arteon but that's about it.
I know they are owned by German companies now but the Skodas and Seats are better looking cars now imo.
I liked the Superb Estate but nearly every one on the road now is a cop car which has put me right off them. I like the Volvo V90 Estate but no idea about reliability.
I like Estates myself have enough of the SUVs. I'm going to go back to an estate for my next car. New Octavia Estate is lovely.
My son in law has just bought the Octavia Scout, it's a great car. I'm on my third Superb and can't see me buying anything other than Skoda.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Armamike

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 25, 2022, 11:39:06 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2022, 01:22:40 PM
Had Renault Scenic when our kids were young, plenty of space and a decent motor, but blew up on the motorway, maybe 100k miles, not sure I never did drive it that much. I got the Santa Fe after that for a couple of years before selling it on, great  car and plenty of space for kit hurls and whatever else was shoved into it, once something went wrong with it I fixed it and sold it for the same amount I paid for it.

I just lease cars now for 3 years, less hassle.

I had a wee 1.5dci Scenic. Engine never gave trouble but I was tortured with electrical issues ranging from windows to handbrake and a multitude of other fiddly things.
I also had a 2.2dci Espace. It blew the engine at about 60K. I got the engine rebuilt and it blew again at about 67K. I bought a new (35K) engine and guess what, it blew as well. I finished up scrapping the car as engineless it was worthless. Cost me an absolute fortune.

Lots of people go the lease route now, personally I'd rather buy a car I can afford at the point in time and have no payments. Everyone has their own take on that though....what suits one won't suit another. Although with the price of cars now, it's getting more and more difficult just to buy one.

Parents had a Renault back in the 80s and it was the same then.  Loads of little fiddly things breaking. 

Looking at some options for a second family car.  Anyone have any experience of the B Class Mercs?
That's just, like your opinion man.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2022, 12:37:59 PM
How can Audi and Skoda be on different lists?

Easy.

Skoda is using the techonology from Audi's from 5 years ago.

Mature technology - understood better and faults that caused reliability issues corrected.
i usse an speelchekor

LeoMc

Always went down the route of buying my cars outright, only buy what I could afford, sometimes with a bit of help from the CU and drive it until I had my moneys worth.
However now, looking at the second hand market, I am considering going down the PCP route, upfront deposit, then monthly payments for 3-4 years (bit like the CU) but at the end of the period I won't own the car and will have to jump back in and go again.

What are the benefits and drawbacks?
Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: LeoMc on January 27, 2022, 11:25:27 AM
Always went down the route of buying my cars outright, only buy what I could afford, sometimes with a bit of help from the CU and drive it until I had my moneys worth.
However now, looking at the second hand market, I am considering going down the PCP route, upfront deposit, then monthly payments for 3-4 years (bit like the CU) but at the end of the period I won't own the car and will have to jump back in and go again.

What are the benefits and drawbacks?
Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

I used PCP previously because I had a company car and no deposit saved up. I ended up buying the car outright at the end of the payment period and then trading it in elsewhere because I thought they were taking the piss when they made me the buy out offer. Probably wasn't that bad in hindsight but I think it worked out ok.

If you're going PCP go for a brand that holds the value better and go close to new to get the good out of it. It's best to be prepared to stay in the PCP system for a while and just aim to keep your payments somewhat similar to the previous one.

I used a bank loan last time, cheaper than CU, but I would use PCP again if needed. Going to look into leasing for changing the wife's car next time out.

Milltown Row2

I'm leasing my car and my wife's is PCP, we've been doing so for a number of years, the benefits, new car and very rarely (in our case never) breaks down so never getting if fixed, we are fortunate to be able to afford that, but for years I'd have a shitty car and the wife half decent car and we were always waiting on it breaking down or having to get another car. Down side is getting the right mileage, I'm 13,000 miles per year, just about enough, go over that its like 7/8 pence per mile.

I'm on my second leased car wife is in her 3rd PCP car
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 01:26:27 PM
I'm leasing my car and my wife's is PCP, we've been doing so for a number of years, the benefits, new car and very rarely (in our case never) breaks down so never getting if fixed, we are fortunate to be able to afford that, but for years I'd have a shitty car and the wife half decent car and we were always waiting on it breaking down or having to get another car. Down side is getting the right mileage, I'm 13,000 miles per year, just about enough, go over that its like 7/8 pence per mile.

You're making a fortune at that referee game. Nice wee side earner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on January 27, 2022, 01:45:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 01:26:27 PM

You're making a fortune at that referee game. Nice wee side earner.

Need to just do local games, keep the miles down ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5times5times

Any particular national/county PCP dealers you recommend?

Armamike

Have used PCP last 5 or 6 years. No complaints.  If going the PCP route, or HP from the car dealer,  check out your bank deal first.  My bank's rate on PCP is much better than the dealer's.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Armamike on January 27, 2022, 06:05:10 PM
Have used PCP last 5 or 6 years. No complaints.  If going the PCP route, or HP from the car dealer,  check out your bank deal first.  My bank's rate on PCP is much better than the dealer's.
The brother in law talked a dealer into a good deal on the basis of what the dealer thought would be finance then the brother in law came back and bought it at the same price through his own finance. Dealer not too happy but still made the sale and I'm sure he didn't give it away.

Armamike

I did the same myself and the sales guy wasn't happy.They do try and push their finance but there was around 6% APR difference.

marty34

Not about a new car per say but what's the story of buying a second hand car in England, Scotland or Wales these days and bringing it back to the north?

Can it be done or is there Brexit paperwork and hassle involved?

illdecide

I've been looking in the market for a while and on Friday i almost made the move. A Seat Leon FR Sport for £25k brand new, to think a Leon cost £25k is unreal. I dunno if i'm being tight but the car market is ridiculous at the min. My own car is only 3 and a half year old but i'm doing about 18k miles a year and so i'm conscious of putting too many miles on it hence looking the change (i've 45k on it). This time last year i could buy a 1-2 year old 3 or 4 series BMW for £25k
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bigfrank

I'm the market for a new car,been looking at a Volkswagen arteon,anyone own one or have any views on them? Looking a car with a 'big boot' as the wife keeps saying as the family is expanding by one,I kinda had thought of a jeep type vehicle initially like a Tiguan,Touareg or t-roc 🤷‍♂️ Anyone any pros or cons for them,I'm pretty clueless when it comes to wheeling and dealing cars

Also someone at my wife's work is telling her we should consider interest free credit card to help with deposit to keep down payments and interest that needs to be paid???