New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2022, 01:22:40 PM
Had Renault Scenic when our kids were young, plenty of space and a decent motor, but blew up on the motorway, maybe 100k miles, not sure I never did drive it that much. I got the Santa Fe after that for a couple of years before selling it on, great  car and plenty of space for kit hurls and whatever else was shoved into it, once something went wrong with it I fixed it and sold it for the same amount I paid for it.

I just lease cars now for 3 years, less hassle.

I had a wee 1.5dci Scenic. Engine never gave trouble but I was tortured with electrical issues ranging from windows to handbrake and a multitude of other fiddly things.
I also had a 2.2dci Espace. It blew the engine at about 60K. I got the engine rebuilt and it blew again at about 67K. I bought a new (35K) engine and guess what, it blew as well. I finished up scrapping the car as engineless it was worthless. Cost me an absolute fortune.

Lots of people go the lease route now, personally I'd rather buy a car I can afford at the point in time and have no payments. Everyone has their own take on that though....what suits one won't suit another. Although with the price of cars now, it's getting more and more difficult just to buy one.

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 25, 2022, 10:07:21 AM
Quote from: general on January 25, 2022, 10:00:15 AM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 24, 2022, 11:22:59 AM
Quote from: Rois on January 22, 2022, 10:39:05 PM
Q5 has isofix in the front passenger seat.

Interesting Rois, interesting  :D

As does the A6 Avant

What ever happened to just putting the wee ones on your knees? I remember leaving the kids (back in the day) at my parents, leaving the car seat and every time I seen them in the car they were always on my mums lap!! Wife was going crazy on the inside but all nice on the outside lol!!

I remember growing up and we used to fight over who got to stand between the drivers and passengers seats!
Different times. Cars did'nt travel at the same speeds back then though and there wasn't as many on the road, but still. Dodgy as!

tbrick18

Quote from: gallsman on January 25, 2022, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: GJL on January 25, 2022, 10:39:32 AM
My advise would be to stay clear of the French manufacturers. Pay the extra and go German -- you will have less trouble.

The Peugeot SUVs are great, reliable cars. Have a couple of friends who have had the 3008 and the 5008 without a word of complaint.

Having bought a house in the sticks over here we needed a second car for a runaround. Couldn't believe the second hand market. A 6 year old Leon with 100k km on it would have cost 12-14 grand. Bought a brand new Kamiq on PCP instead to go with the Karoq. Very happy with it so far.

I have to say I like the look of the Skoda SUVs. The Kodiaq looks like a great bus. Anyone got one?
It's what I have in the back of my head as my preferred option if we change our car.

laoislad

It's a pity alot of the German cars are now boring and fugly looking. They haven't really moved on with their designs. People like paying for the badge which is fair enough if that's what they want but there isn't a BMW or Audi or VW I'd buy right now as I think they all look bland.
Actually I would like the VW Arteon but that's about it.
I know they are owned by German companies now but the Skodas and Seats are better looking cars now imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2022, 11:11:19 AM
My advise would be to stay clear of the French manufacturers. Pay the extra and go German -- you will have less trouble.

What's your take on the new Landrovers GJL?

Hearing of poor build quality on the Discos and Evoques. What's your experience of them?

WhatCar review of cars in terms of reliability in 2020 had Landrover as the least reliable car on the road. I know a guy who had a top spec Range Rover he bought from new, in the first year of ownership is spent about 7 months getting repairs. He finally threw the head up and they had to take it back.

List in full:

Lease Reliable
1. Land Rover
2. Renault
3. Tesla
4. Nissan
5. Vauxhall
6. Mercedes
7. Peugeot
8. Audi
9. MG
10. Porshce

Most Reliable:
1. Lexus
2. Mitsubishi
3. Toyota
4. Mini
5. Skoda
6. Hyundai
7. Kia
8. Honda
9. BMW
10. Mazda

manfromdelmonte

with the speed at which cars are changing - electric etc leasing might be a sensible option

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on January 25, 2022, 11:45:15 AM
It's a pity alot of the German cars are now boring and fugly looking. They haven't really moved on with their designs. People like paying for the badge which is fair enough if that's what they want but there isn't a BMW or Audi or VW I'd buy right now as I think they all look bland.
I know they are owned by German companies now but the Skodas and Seats are better looking cars now imo.
I liked the Superb Estate but nearly every one on the road now is a cop car which has put me right off them. I like the Volvo V90 Estate but no idea about reliability.

general_lee

How can Audi and Skoda be on different lists?

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM
I liked the Superb Estate but nearly every one on the road now is a cop car which has put me right off them. I like the Volvo V90 Estate but no idea about reliability.
I like Estates myself have enough of the SUVs. I'm going to go back to an estate for my next car. New Octavia Estate is lovely.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

Quote from: general_lee on January 25, 2022, 12:37:59 PM
How can Audi and Skoda be on different lists?

Essentially the same car. I'd take lists like that with a pinch of salt. God knows what sort of deals are done behind the scenes when lists like this are compiled.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM

Im in a Volvo V60 - bought late 2019 and have put 50k miles on

Great car
Roomy - easy to drop seats etc for golf clubs and larger loads
Running wise solid and quiet on the road
Economy wise 40-44 mpg without aircon which drops to 35-38 when running

Some of the tech is brilliant and safety features are good
No space saver wheel or puncture repair kit as standard so had to purchase one after i realised  :-\

Having moved from passat to mazda 6 to 2 different mondeos I can safely say ill be in a volvo for while to come
Its all about the Hurling.

screenexile

I bought one back in July 3 years old and I've loved it ever since... well except the EGR valve went last week just a few weeks out of warranty!!!

But other than that it's been grand.

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 25, 2022, 11:49:06 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 25, 2022, 11:11:19 AM

What's your take on the new Landrovers GJL?

Hearing of poor build quality on the Discos and Evoques. What's your experience of them?

WhatCar review of cars in terms of reliability in 2020 had Landrover as the least reliable car on the road. I know a guy who had a top spec Range Rover he bought from new, in the first year of ownership is spent about 7 months getting repairs. He finally threw the head up and they had to take it back.

List in full:

Lease Reliable
1. Land Rover
2. Renault
3. Tesla
4. Nissan
5. Vauxhall
6. Mercedes
7. Peugeot
8. Audi
9. MG
10. Porshce

Most Reliable:
1. Lexus
2. Mitsubishi
3. Toyota
4. Mini
5. Skoda
6. Hyundai
7. Kia
8. Honda
9. BMW
10. Mazda

I've got the Kia Sportage and think it's a great car. Bought it about 8 months ago so it's 3 years old almost now. Haven't had any bother.

Milltown Row2

Had the Kia Stonic for 3 years, was great, absolutely no issues either. Kia are grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: screenexile on January 25, 2022, 03:25:20 PM

I bought one back in July 3 years old and I've loved it ever since... well except the EGR valve went last week just a few weeks out of warranty!!!

But other than that it's been grand.
Is there something with VAGs and EGR valves?