A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2021, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 28, 2021, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 28, 2021, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 28, 2021, 11:35:56 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 28, 2021, 11:11:14 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 28, 2021, 10:30:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 28, 2021, 12:36:32 AM
More a  question for nordies.
Do you regard President Micheal as your president?

Yes.
Dublin my capital.
ROI my national football team.
Hurling my first sport.
Gaeilge my language.
Yet you write "ROI" instead of Ireland ;D

Because clearly that is their name or am I missing something-either that or Éire
Like something a true partitionist/stooper would say. I assume you call the O6 "Northern Ireland" as well then?
Michelle O'Neill is Deputy First Minister of.... ?
Some Sinn Féin people are Ministers in the.......Executive.
SF have 25 or 30 MLAs in the ......Assembly.
SF negotiated and are ardent supporters of the GFA.
How many times is "Northern Ireland" mentioned in the Agreement.
This is pure trolling and yet again a demonstration of your lack of understanding of the northern nationalist experience under unionist rule.

?????
Unionists haven't ruled since 1972 ;)
Look at the fcukin state, it reflects one community, one culture and all else is subordinate. By all means ask questions but this contribution shows a distinct ignorance.

Rossfan

It may do but shinner supporters slagging off SDLPers for saying "Northern Ireland" while their Party is enthusiastically taking up "Northern Ireland" positions and backing a Treaty which says "Northern Ireland" all through it......is ever so slightly bemusing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: johnnycool on October 28, 2021, 11:08:47 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2021, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: In hiding on October 28, 2021, 12:55:45 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 28, 2021, 12:36:32 AM
More a  question for nordies.
Do you regard President Micheal as your president?
Yeah, I consider myself Irish so obviously he represents me
Do you think I am not Irish because I was born in Tyrone?
The questioner never suggested that so chip off shoulder please.

I suppose it's up to each individual but why would we not regard Michael D as our president?

I'd like to vote on it for sure and that would be the next step for us.
Possibly a disconnect because you don't have the vote on it -  therefore no decision to make, as well as a visible absence of the election campaigning.

Mikhail Prokhorov

general_lee

We don't get to vote for any head of state up here in the occupied 6. Probably time the government  got serious about representing all its citizens on this island if reunification is a genuine aspiration.

Rossfan

All Irish citizens living outside the 26 Cos should have a vote in Presidential election and for some Seanad seats

Provided they make an annual Solidarity contribution of say €500 to the Exchequer ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

smort

Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this.....but an improved rail system would certainly be a big part of a future Ireland. I'm sure we have all seen the maps of how the North-West of the island and west of Ulster has been neglected. Hopefully this review can lead to much needed expansion

https://strategicrailreview.com/

general_lee

Quote from: smort on November 30, 2021, 04:06:59 PM
Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this.....but an improved rail system would certainly be a big part of a future Ireland. I'm sure we have all seen the maps of how the North-West of the island and west of Ulster has been neglected. Hopefully this review can lead to much needed expansion

https://strategicrailreview.com/
Probably just a talking shop. Cant even run the rail network that we currently have. We love the car too much, especially in the north and especially in Belfast

An Watcher

So let's forget about it then!! Always laugh at belfasties and others complain about train when it isn't even an option for those in the west.  Let's get it back in the west

grounded

Quote from: An Watcher on November 30, 2021, 07:30:56 PM
So let's forget about it then!! Always laugh at belfasties and others complain about train when it isn't even an option for those in the west.  Let's get it back in the west

Fascinating to see the train network in 2020 vs 1920 in Ireland

https://www.indy100.com/news/ireland-train-network-1920-2020-viral-map-9299011

general_lee

Quote from: An Watcher on November 30, 2021, 07:30:56 PM
Not at all though I do agree with you. Upgrade line to Derry and build to Armagh and Dungannon would be my priorities.

Antrim Coaster

The tearing up of the rail network west of the Bann was done on a sectarian basis.

The 6 County government decided they weren't for subsidising the rail network for Taigs to travel to Bundoran for their days out.

At the time the Derry Road rail line (Portadown, Dungannon, Omagh, Derry) was actually the only part of the northern rail network that was in profit.

There's a good documentary on TG4 about the northern rail network, Iarnród Uladh,

It wasnt too long ago that Danny Kennedy the Transport Minister at the time wanted to close the line between Derry and Coleraine until Eamon McCann and his lads put a stop to his plans with the Into The West initiative.

Franko

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on December 01, 2021, 10:33:21 AM
The tearing up of the rail network west of the Bann was done on a sectarian basis.

The 6 County government decided they weren't for subsidising the rail network for Taigs to travel to Bundoran for their days out.

At the time the Derry Road rail line (Portadown, Dungannon, Omagh, Derry) was actually the only part of the northern rail network that was in profit.

There's a good documentary on TG4 about the northern rail network, Iarnród Uladh,

It wasnt too long ago that Danny Kennedy the Transport Minister at the time wanted to close the line between Derry and Coleraine until Eamon McCann and his lads put a stop to his plans with the Into The West initiative.

There's a map somewhere with the rail map overlaid on the voting preference of those in the area.  The correlation between a nationalist vote and a lack of rail infrastructure couldn't be any clearer.

But both sides are as bad as each other...

tiempo

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on December 01, 2021, 10:33:21 AM

Legend has it the local politicians went to Belfast to campaign against the removal of the Derry Road railway, in their wisdom they took the bus.