Does anyone else think Gnevin doesnt like the civil service?

Started by Rafa, November 27, 2009, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

He's just a mis-understood soccer loving pricipal officer
#newbridgeornowhere

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rossie mad

I think its a mental thing.

Like a woman in a mans body kinda of thing.
Wants to be it but keeps denying it can happen

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I hazard to guess its a majority or significant minority of Irish people who don't like the civil service. But its actually delinquent to be a member of a group not distained theses days, we hate the civil service, the bankers, the builders, the taxi drivers, the politicians, the publicans, the clergy, the dentists, the retailers, the unemployed, the students, the farmers, the unions, FAS, the GPA etc. etc.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bacon

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 27, 2009, 12:50:59 PM
I hazard to guess its a majority or significant minority of Irish people who don't like the civil service. But its actually delinquent to be a member of a group not distained theses days, we hate the civil service, the bankers, the builders, the taxi drivers, the politicians, the publicans, the clergy, the dentists, the retailers, the unemployed, the students, the farmers, the unions, FAS, the GPA etc. etc.

You're right! Who do most people not hate? The immigrants? The Protestants? The Jews?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bacon on November 27, 2009, 01:11:56 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 27, 2009, 12:50:59 PM

You're right! Who do most people not hate? The immigrants? The Protestants? The Jews?

The Dubs, Nordies, Culchies, Travellers, the Planters, Brits, Yanks, French etc. etc.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mc_grens on November 27, 2009, 03:50:47 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2009, 01:09:03 PM
Quote from: Rafa on November 27, 2009, 08:10:41 AM
Iv been getting those vibes...

A little reading for you .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Nice one!

Huh?

That wikipedia entry opens with:

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the person" or "argument against the person") is an argument which links the validity of a premise to an irrelevant characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

All the OP did here was to post an observation about gnevin, he did not attack gnevin by linking the validity of a premise of his to an irrelevant characteristic, etc...

Of course, if gnevin isn't really anti the Civil Service/Public Sector (which he disguises very well) then the thread can be said to be somewhat libellous. But ad hominem is way off the mark.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2009, 04:08:54 PM
What has the fact that I like or dislike the civil service got too do with the facts I've presented? Nothing ,it's  an argument towards the man .

The OP's premise was that you don't like the Civil Service, that's the premise, nothing else (your 'facts' are irrelevant). Now, you can disagree with that or not, but it isn't ad hominem -- that's your misunderstanding of that term.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2009, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 27, 2009, 04:13:54 PM
What has the fact that I like or dislike the civil service got too do with the facts I've presented? Nothing ,it's  an argument towards the man .

The OP's premise was that you don't like the Civil Service, that's the premise, nothing else (your 'facts' are irrelevant). Now, you can disagree with that or not, but it isn't ad hominem -- that's your misunderstanding of that term.

I'm not misunderstanding the term . While the OP hasn't directly said Gnevin doesn't like the civil service and hence he is wrong.  This is strongly implied.

You haven't a fecking clue gnevin  ;) :D

It's still the premise, since it's strongly implied. Now, if instead of defending yourself and addressing his accusations, you attacked some characteristic of the OP that had nothing to do with the central contention, then that would be ad hominem, and you would be engaging in it. It's impossible to be ad hominem stating a premise, just impossible.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 27, 2009, 04:26:02 PM

I'm not misunderstanding the term . While the OP hasn't directly said Gnevin doesn't like the civil service and hence he is wrong.  This is strongly implied.
It's impossible to be ad hominem stating a premise, just impossible.
Correct.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2009, 04:37:00 PM

Correct.
This from a person who has yet to master they're, there and their  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 27, 2009, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 27, 2009, 04:37:00 PM

Correct.
This from a person who has yet to master they're, there and their  :D
::)

Look someone on a grassy knoll.  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.