TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

One particular character from E. Belfast was desperately clinging on to her past where taigs knew their place.

bennydorano

2 episodes into The Silo on AppleTV, very very promising. Dystopian / Mystery / Sci-fi

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on June 14, 2023, 11:19:36 PM
2 episodes into The Silo on AppleTV, very very promising. Dystopian / Mystery / Sci-fi

Yeah, probably at same spot, these types of shows are what I search for.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

The first episode was very good, the second one I'm not too sure. about, as in would it make any sense to someone who knew nothing about the period?

JimStynes

Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: dec on June 14, 2023, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: toby47 on June 14, 2023, 12:49:29 PM
That 5 part BBC documentary on the troubles at the minute is very good. 'Once upon a time in Northern Ireland'

It is also available in the US on PBS. I watched it with my family, it is probably the first real exposure my kids had to the Troubles.

Very very well done I'm in the middle of it here now.

Obviously it's people's versions of what happened but they've captured the internal conflict so well. The interviewees have all seemingly 'changed' but the sectarianism is still there if you scratch the surface!

Just finished it there. Thought it was brilliant. What a crazy place we live in. They could have done another 20 episodes and it wouldn't have got the full story.

The likes of Drumcree didn't get a mention. I always remember the 3 wee children being killed in Ballymoney and people started to catch themselves on.

Milltown Row2

There are a million stories out there no doubt, was out walking the dogs earlier today and was earywigging these young women who were chatting about the show, there was so many things they didn't realise about the 'troubles' until they watched this series..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on June 17, 2023, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 14, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: dec on June 14, 2023, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: toby47 on June 14, 2023, 12:49:29 PM
That 5 part BBC documentary on the troubles at the minute is very good. 'Once upon a time in Northern Ireland'

It is also available in the US on PBS. I watched it with my family, it is probably the first real exposure my kids had to the Troubles.

Very very well done I'm in the middle of it here now.

Obviously it's people's versions of what happened but they've captured the internal conflict so well. The interviewees have all seemingly 'changed' but the sectarianism is still there if you scratch the surface!

Just finished it there. Thought it was brilliant. What a crazy place we live in. They could have done another 20 episodes and it wouldn't have got the full story.

The likes of Drumcree didn't get a mention. I always remember the 3 wee children being killed in Ballymoney and people started to catch themselves on.
One of the contributors made a good point that what went on wouldn't have been accepted in England and there was a snippet from the news (John Humphries I think) saying that, pro rata for the rest of the UK, there would have been over 1000 people murdered in an 8 day period. Crazy.

mrdeeds

Couple episodes into new season of Black Mirror. Excellent so far.

screenexile

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 17, 2023, 07:24:32 PM
Couple episodes into new season of Black Mirror. Excellent so far.

Enjoyed the first 2... half way through the 3rd and it's not as good as the first 2 but very watchable.

thewobbler

Didn't like the first one myself. Struck me as something that would work better on paper but the visual connection as good as impossible to carry off.

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on June 17, 2023, 07:42:32 PM
Didn't like the first one myself. Struck me as something that would work better on paper but the visual connection as good as impossible to carry off.

**Spoiler Alert**

Definitely used a previous South Park storyline arc then there was the inception twist at the end. Still I thought it was an interesting concept and enjoyed it.

J70

White House Plumbers.

Fun look at Liddy and Hunt's role in Watergate.

Woody Harrelson is always watchable, but Justin Theroux does a funny, campy take on the admittedly ludicrous character that was G. Gordon Liddy.

Jell 0 Biafra

Very poor fare, I thought.  Reminded me of Sixth Sense  in that there was an idea for a twist that people wouldn't see coming, and the writers reckoned that would be enough to make the stuff that came before it good. 

AustinPowers

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 20, 2023, 02:04:33 PM

Very poor fare, I thought.  Reminded me of Sixth Sense  in that there was an idea for a twist that people wouldn't see coming, and the writers reckoned that would be enough to make the stuff that came before it good.

Funny enough , I caught the end of  the sixth sense a  while ago , and had to  laugh.  The whole premise of that  film was  really laughable. 

*SPOILER*

Didn't he  work it out himself?  Your wife  never acknowledges your  existence?  You  never seem to be  able to hail a taxi?  You can't seem  to open doors  by  yourself. Maybe you're  dead Bruce, ya eejit    ;D

Jell 0 Biafra

Hmmm... that's me, apart from the doors thing.  Being dead would explain a lot.