TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 14, 2023, 09:03:41 PM
There were rave reviews here after the first episode. 

My take after the first episode is, it's  grand, I'll  watch more. But  so far, it's  overhyped.
Yip, same. I've watched all the episodes, its OK, probably only keeping at it as  Pedro Pascal is just pure class. Big fan of Nick Offerman too, enjoyed that episode.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on February 14, 2023, 09:32:37 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 14, 2023, 09:03:41 PM
There were rave reviews here after the first episode. 

My take after the first episode is, it's  grand, I'll  watch more. But  so far, it's  overhyped.
Yip, same. I've watched all the episodes, its OK, probably only keeping at it as  Pedro Pascal is just pure class. Big fan of Nick Offerman too, enjoyed that episode.

Have really enjoyed it and I never got into walking dead or haven't watch too many zombie style films since the ones back in the day!!

so probably not saturated with that style
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

I thought it got better and better then episode 4 was just grand and now episode 5 is the best yet.

My own opinion is it's a lot better than average and I really hope it keeps building and surprising as it has done already!

OrchardOrange

Quote from: straightred on February 14, 2023, 09:25:39 PM
Just finished eps 5 and 6 of 1923 (Harrision Ford and Helen Mirren). Its a follow on to 1888 and is a prequel to Yellowstone. It's cowboys and ranching in Montana.

1923 is my favorite, followed by 1888. Yellowstone is also good but, as is often the case, when a series goes beyond 3 series it does lose its appeal.

Unless each show shows the mass killing of natives it is simply based on lies. Unfortunately most popular shows make it appear that the vast plains had virtually no human presence. Lies. White settlers killed millions of natives in the 1800s.

Upandover

Yellowstone, 1883, absolutely fantastic tv!!

straightred

Quote from: OrchardOrange on February 14, 2023, 10:15:35 PM
Quote from: straightred on February 14, 2023, 09:25:39 PM
Just finished eps 5 and 6 of 1923 (Harrision Ford and Helen Mirren). Its a follow on to 1888 and is a prequel to Yellowstone. It's cowboys and ranching in Montana.

1923 is my favorite, followed by 1888. Yellowstone is also good but, as is often the case, when a series goes beyond 3 series it does lose its appeal.

Unless each show shows the mass killing of natives it is simply based on lies. Unfortunately most popular shows make it appear that the vast plains had virtually no human presence. Lies. White settlers killed millions of natives in the 1800s.

Last of us is really good and it's based on a few lies. I've yet to meet anyone with fungus growing like grass out of their mouth !

TV series and movies typically don't stick rigidly to facts but in this case anyway they don't go out of their way to hide them either. You're in no doubt about the plight of the natives. There's an episode given up to showing how an orphan native was treated and then how her aunt was murdered by the sherriff.

I stumbled across it while looked for something to watch and I'm hooked. Its also weekly episodes (as is Last of us). Old school TV.

straightred

Quote from: Upandover on February 14, 2023, 10:22:40 PM
Yellowstone, 1883, absolutely fantastic tv!!
1923 is the pick of them. Its narrated by Isabelle May who starred as Else Dutton in 1883

thewobbler

It's an odd thing about TV.

People can suspend their belief about dragons, magic and white walkers when watching a fantasy show, as long as the story is well told. But should a drama telling the story of a small group of settlers going from Texas to Wyoming not take time to reveal a theme they want to see uncovered, it's written off as unrealistic.

Each to their own.

Look-Up!

Enjoyed the first season or two of Yellowstone. Really enjoyed 1883. Really enjoyed first few episodes of 1923 but waned a bit on last one or two. Is it just me or anyone else get a real dislike for the main Dutton protagonists the more you see of them. It's been the same for each show. Rooting for the sheep farmers to be honest.

straightred

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 14, 2023, 10:43:04 PM
Enjoyed the first season or two of Yellowstone. Really enjoyed 1883. Really enjoyed first few episodes of 1923 but waned a bit on last one or two. Is it just me or anyone else get a real dislike for the main Dutton protagonists the more you see of them. It's been the same for each show. Rooting for the sheep farmers to be honest.

The scottish fellow is a toerag so i'm not rooting for him. I'm okay with the Duttons. Helen Mirren (accent aside) is a fantastic actress and is carrying it. I'm really rooting for the Indian girl who was abused in the orphanage. Looking ahead i'm wondering is she Monica's (Kayce's wife in Yellowstone) Great Grandmother or something like that

thewobbler

Quote from: straightred on February 14, 2023, 10:48:39 PM

The scottish fellow is a toerag so i'm not rooting for him. I'm okay with the Duttons. Helen Mirren (accent aside) is a fantastic actress and is carrying it. I'm really rooting for the Indian girl who was abused in the orphanage. Looking ahead i'm wondering is she Monica's (Kayce's wife in Yellowstone) Great Grandmother or something like that

I don't know how Indian family names work. But as she's "Rainwater" I'm guessing she's a predecessor of the Chief in Yellowstone.

straightred

Quote from: thewobbler on February 14, 2023, 10:52:30 PM

I don't know how Indian family names work. But as she's "Rainwater" I'm guessing she's a predecessor of the Chief in Yellowstone.
Good shout

armaghniac

I watched Succession. I think someone said that it was a show where all the main characters were unlikeable and this is very true. It passed the time all the same.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Look-Up!

I just find them the original Me Feiners. Sheep farmers just wanted a bit of grazing up the mountain where the cattle didn't go. Your man in 1883 for all his airs and graces would have left every single family to die out on the plains without a seconds hesitation. Costner's character is a p***k, bully and mass murder. And he has raised a complete tr**p of a daughter. I find it hard to have sympathy for their misfortunes.

But yes, I'd be rooting for the Indian girl. She didn't kill half enough of them hoors.   

gawa316

Just finished 1883 and up to date with 1923. Love them both. Couple of observations...there was some amount of development/modernization in the 40 years.

Secondly and I'm probably the only person in the world that has thought this but the  dolls voice who narrates it reminds me of that Canadian blade  katherine Ryan impersonation of Cheryl Cole. I can't get it out of my head every time she speaks and now she is narrating 1923 as well!