TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Snapchap on January 16, 2023, 10:21:44 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2023, 10:50:30 PM
After the bore fest of that Tommy Tiernan interview with empty vessel Roy Keane, it was a return to form for TT this Saturday night with Patrick Kielty and 2 others who he managed to get to their story with ease. It was a good chat with Kielty, though he does suffer somewhat from the nordie syndrome  that  'nordies know better', that 'no one understands us and what we had to go through', and a tad condescending about the Irish ladies football team celebrations in the immediate aftermath of their magnificence in reaching the WC Finals.
Regardless, the show was riveting from beginning to end.

Yea he only had a father shot dead, so he is hardly qualified to talk about what the north had to come through. He really ought to wind his neck in. Arrogant of the nordies to think they have a better understanding of the conflict they lived through than the people south of the border who, after all, watched so many Section 31 censored news reports about it.
So obviously when you have a people spoon fed on a diet of censored adulterated news and middle Ireland LLS nonsense, is it not a wonder that so many southern folk supported the H Block hunger strikers (albeit starting with a trickle), voted for them the polls  and political support for the Republican Party has steadily risen over the last 20 or so years in spite of the persistent campaign to isolate and 'criminalise' Sinn Fein.
As Bernadette McAliskey responded to a condescending question put to her about a then recent H Block Dublin protest march being populated with 'rent a crowd' from the north,  she replied (virtually ripping into Gay Byrne) that if the people were more informed and not subject to such censorship and blatant anti republican RTE portrayals, they just might be able to make different more reasoned opinions
As regards Kielty, I fully respect and admire the man but just because he lost his father does not mean that I have to support his (imo) cringeworthy comment re the Irish ladies team post match dressing room celebrations and because I have that opinion does not mean I think he isn't qualified to talk about 'the north'.  I said that the interview and whole show was riveting, what more praise can be given?

Jesus, effin' nordies and their martyrdom ;D   

Snapchap

Quote from: Main Street on January 17, 2023, 12:42:04 AM
After the bore fest of that Tommy Tiernan interview with empty vessel Roy Keane, it was a return to form for TT this Saturday night with Patrick Kielty and 2 others who he managed to get to their story with ease. It was a good chat with Kielty, though he does suffer somewhat from the nordie syndrome  that  'nordies know better', that 'no one understands us and what we had to go through', and a tad condescending about the Irish ladies football team celebrations in the immediate aftermath of their magnificence in reaching the WC Finals.

Yea he only had a father shot dead, so he is hardly qualified to talk about what the north had to come through. He really ought to wind his neck in. Arrogant of the nordies to think they have a better understanding of the conflict they lived through than the people south of the border who, after all, watched so many Section 31 censored news reports about it.
So obviously when you have a people spoon fed on a diet of censored adulterated news and middle Ireland LLS nonsense, is it not a wonder that so many southern folk supported the H Block hunger strikers (albeit starting with a trickle), voted for them the polls  and political support for the Republican Party has steadily risen over the last 20 or so years in spite of the persistent campaign to isolate and 'criminalise' Sinn Fein.
As Bernadette McAliskey responded to a condescending question put to her about a then recent H Block Dublin protest march being populated with 'rent a crowd' from the north,  she replied (virtually ripping into Gay Byrne) that if the people were more informed and not subject to such censorship and blatant anti republican RTE portrayals, they just might be able to make different more reasoned opinions
As regards Kielty, I fully respect and admire the man but just because he lost his father does not mean that I have to support his (imo) cringeworthy comment re the Irish ladies team post match dressing room celebrations and because I have that opinion does not mean I think he isn't qualified to talk about 'the north'.  I said that the interview and whole show was riveting, what more praise can be given?

So you're still maintaining that "nordies" don't know better about the conflict they lived through than those who didn't live through it?

Milltown Row2

Patrick didn't lose his father you twat, he was executed by a loyalist hit team probably fed misinformation by the British security services.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Kielty was bang on and gave a great example of why. If we really want a UI we need to think about the 1 million or so Unionists that we want to join because they aren't moving to Scotland like Arlene.

gallsman

Terrific premiere for The Last of Us.

Windmill abu

Quote from: gallsman on January 17, 2023, 05:58:09 PM
Terrific premiere for The Last of Us.
Agreed. Best pilot episode since Breaking Bad.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

J70

Hope it follows through. Promising start.

thewobbler

It's a remarkable  start indeed, but as a rule of thumb, end-of-days shows start brilliantly, slip into silliness, dwell on the monotonous, then become unwatchable, all in one series.

Hopefully this is the exception.

lurganblue

It's already becoming tedious as people can't stop talking about how it relates to the game, which i never played. I suppose I just need to suck it up as I was similar with GOT and the books 😀

Half way through kaleidoscope. It's grand so far. I know you can watch them in any order. I have finished some episodes and said that I would be disappointed if that was the finale. Maybe I expect to much from an ending.

bennydorano

Happy Valley is some show. Was never a fan of Sarah Lancashire so I avoided it for years, started it about a month ago, 3 series of pure excellence. It can be uncomfortable viewing at times, but christ it's good. Finale next Sunday night, can't wait...

Main Street

Quote from: Snapchap on January 17, 2023, 05:38:59 AM

So you're still maintaining that "nordies" don't know better about the conflict they lived through than those who didn't live through it?
Never remotely said that you twat  :D
That would be quite the extrapolation and yet another example of emotional nordie  martyrdom complex ::)
Call yourself a republican??  you're more  a keyboard phony.

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on January 29, 2023, 10:36:52 PM
Happy Valley is some show. Was never a fan of Sarah Lancashire so I avoided it for years, started it about a month ago, 3 series of pure excellence. It can be uncomfortable viewing at times, but christ it's good. Finale next Sunday night, can't wait...

started this a week or so ago. Am on episode 5 of series 2. Absolutely brilliant

thewobbler

Quote from: thewobbler on January 18, 2023, 09:24:58 PM
It's a remarkable  start indeed, but as a rule of thumb, end-of-days shows start brilliantly, slip into silliness, dwell on the monotonous, then become unwatchable, all in one series.

Wow. 3 episodes in. 3 very different episodes. 3 brilliant episodes. Absolutely riveting TV.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on January 30, 2023, 11:20:03 PM

Wow. 3 episodes in. 3 very different episodes. 3 brilliant episodes. Absolutely riveting TV.

Been very good so far, will start in the garden this week to sort out my bunker!!

In fairness I think a bullet to the head would be easier
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Louther

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2023, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 30, 2023, 11:20:03 PM

Been very good so far, will start in the garden this week to sort out my bunker!!

In fairness I think a bullet to the head would be easier

Excellent show to date, using the source material really well and not afraid to add or bend it to make for good TV.

Looking forward to how it unfolds.

Great scene at the end with them getting in the car and the excitement of Ellie being in the car for the first time. Closed off a really emotionally driven show.