TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Guessing I missed the hype about The Morning Show on Apple TV, only watched S1 there recently, great show, very preachy but good, allstar cast. Just starting S2. (Got 6 months free through Sky rewards,so will watch everything going b4 June!)

nrico2006

1923 is amazing.  I wasn't expecting much after 1883 as I thought that was just alright. Finished Treason, was decent and Tulsa King was very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2023, 05:04:53 PM
Guessing I missed the hype about The Morning Show on Apple TV, only watched S1 there recently, great show, very preachy but good, allstar cast. Just starting S2. (Got 6 months free through Sky rewards,so will watch everything going b4 June!)
Same re. Morning Show. We started it ages ago and wasn't fussed but gave it another rattle at the weekend and on episode 6 now.

BrotherMore6592

Started "The Young Pope" with Jude Law tonignt - what the f#£k!!!?? Intriguing but not idea what's going on yet, is it a pisstake, comedy or what!

Started"Dark" also,  the English/American voiceovers on foreign films annoy me. Not great after one episode.

Severance is awful, can't get into it at all.

The Dropout is very good, biopic Based on disgraced Theranos founder Elizabeth holmes

For the rest of January I've earmarked to start:
The leftovers
When they see us
Ted Lasso
American crime story

Any good sports docs or shows? Watched last dance and F1

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 10, 2023, 07:26:53 PM
Same re. Morning Show. We started it ages ago and wasn't fussed but gave it another rattle at the weekend and on episode 6 now.
Slow Horse's with Gary Oldman is definitely worth checking out on Apple , excellent show

nrico2006

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on January 11, 2023, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 10, 2023, 07:26:53 PM
Slow Horse's with Gary Oldman is definitely worth checking out on Apple , excellent show

Brilliant.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Started Slow Horses last week. Three episodes in.

Superb stuff so far.

And not just Oldman. Goes without saying that he'd be a riveting watch, but the overall show is excellent. Hope it stays that way!

Look-Up!

My take on Xmas binge and what I've been watching previously.

1923 is excellent.
1883 I have to say I really enjoyed.
Andor was excellent, not my genre and really was expecting to switch off after a quick glance but was hooked immediately.
Yellowstone S5, looking forward to the ending now (and seeing everyone bite a bullet). Maybe gone on 2 seasons too long.
Saw Rings of Power previous month, Have to say I enjoyed it.

Others:
Treason. Watchable. Hinds steals the scenes in far too small a cameo but rest of the actors/characters a bit weak, same as storyline.
Tulsa King. OK, hardly epic but worse shows on TV.
Yellowjackets. meh. Middling just about.

Saw someone recommend The Dropout. Watched it when it came out. Very very good show.

Someone else asking about sports doc. The Kings is a must watch if you like boxing. 4 parter on the Duran/Leonard/Hagler/Hearns rivalry in the 80s.
Watched All or nothing last year too, fly on the wall on Spurs season Jose came in. Didn't think I'd enjoy it but kept watching and it is good.

Main Street

After the bore fest of that Tommy Tiernan interview with empty vessel Roy Keane, it was a return to form for TT this Saturday night with Patrick Kielty and 2 others who he managed to get to their story with ease. It was a good chat with Kielty, though he does suffer somewhat from the nordie syndrome  that  'nordies know better', that 'no one understands us and what we had to go through', and a tad condescending about the Irish ladies football team celebrations in the immediate aftermath of their magnificence in reaching the WC Finals.
Regardless, the show was riveting from beginning to end.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2023, 10:50:30 PM
After the bore fest of that Tommy Tiernan interview with empty vessel Roy Keane, it was a return to form for TT this Saturday night with Patrick Kielty and 2 others who he managed to get to their story with ease. It was a good chat with Kielty, though he does suffer somewhat from the nordie syndrome  that  'nordies know better', that 'no one understands us and what we had to go through', and a tad condescending about the Irish ladies football team celebrations in the immediate aftermath of their magnificence in reaching the WC Finals.

On the whiskey then tonight?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

I never  got that from Kielty at all. As for the 'what we had to go through ' comment - I think Kielty has  more experience on that  than a lot of people. 

gerrykeegan

Myself and the wife were in the audience for this show. Felix was an incredible interview, you could sense everyone was amazed by it. Full interview was about 40 minutes. Imagine before he got the transplant he was driving around France. Steering with his left foot,break and acceleration with right. Indicators were on the headrest behind him.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Snapchap

Yea he only had a father shot dead, so he is hardly qualified to talk about what the north had to come through. He really ought to wind his neck in. Arrogant of the nordies to think they have a better understanding of the conflict they lived through than the people south of the border who, after all, watched so many Section 31 censored news reports about it.

JPGJOHNNYG

Kielty is a good lad and as already said earlier is unfortunately more qualified than most to talk about the troubles. Enjoyed his recent tractor documentary about ford v Ferguson. He also had a good one about Mullholland and everything he did in LA. He was also only too happy to set up bigot Arlene in another recent documentary were she stated she would have to move across the water if there was a UI.

Saffrongael

He married Cat Deeley ffs, he's doing something right
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come