TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smort

I thoroughly enjoyed Lost. Understand how the ending and final season can be seen as a disappointment but the journey over the previous 5 seasons was great. Yes they milked it with some outrageous story lines and twists but it was pure escapism

maddog

Surely if there was ever a show that tore the ass out of it then it has to be "the walking dead"

lurganblue

Quote from: maddog on October 20, 2021, 09:44:27 AM
Surely if there was ever a show that tore the ass out of it then it has to be "the walking dead"

Threw in the towel myself.  Couldnt live the the monologues.  It had the feel of a show that didnt know where it was going.

Louther

On shows that tore arse of it - Prison Break. First season brilliant, second ok and then after that they just kept adding crazy level stuff to keep it going.

toby47

Quote from: Louther on October 20, 2021, 10:06:17 AM
On shows that tore arse of it - Prison Break. First season brilliant, second ok and then after that they just kept adding crazy level stuff to keep it going.

First season of prison break is still the best season of any show I've watched. At the time watching 1 episode a week on RTE, it was unreal.

themac_23

Quote from: toby47 on October 20, 2021, 10:43:13 AM

First season of prison break is still the best season of any show I've watched. At the time watching 1 episode a week on RTE, it was unreal.

T-Bag is one of the creepiest, evil characters ever in a tv show and was great at what he done. as said 1st and 2nd series great, after that brutal.

Newbridge Exile

Stumbled across  " The Terror " on Iplayer ,( starring Ciaran Hinds & Jared  Harris  amongst others,)  really enjoying it thus far.

J70

Quote from: maddog on October 20, 2021, 09:44:27 AM

That's still being made, isn't it?

I gave up on it after they flew Rick off in the helicopter with the landfill woman.

It had been in serious decline for a while after the top class early seasons.

Ethan Tremblay

I remember my mates watching this and at the tender age of 13/14 and me asking the most obvious question, what are they going to do when they break out of jail? Seems highly paid writers couldn't figure that out either. 

Seems the same scenario has hit the walking dead whereby the premise was interesting but the plot is more or less the same.  Both shows 'jumped the shark' early and are forever tarnished for it. 

I would prefer the mini series shows now coming out at the moment to everything else, they have a definitive start, middle and end, usually well structured and thought out.  Watchmen would be a recent one that stands out in my mind. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

screenexile

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 20, 2021, 03:15:12 PM

I remember my mates watching this and at the tender age of 13/14 and me asking the most obvious question, what are they going to do when they break out of jail? Seems highly paid writers couldn't figure that out either. 

Seems the same scenario has hit the walking dead whereby the premise was interesting but the plot is more or less the same.  Both shows 'jumped the shark' early and are forever tarnished for it. 

I would prefer the mini series shows now coming out at the moment to everything else, they have a definitive start, middle and end, usually well structured and thought out.  Watchmen would be a recent one that stands out in my mind.

Really enjoyed Watchmen it was excellent!!

lurganblue

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 20, 2021, 03:15:12 PM

The oul fella uses this phrase regularly  ;D

nrico2006

Some strange positions in there, would expect Dexter and 24 to be higher. 

Love/Hate should be in there too, whereas ones like Mare of Eastdown or True Detective stand out as ones that shouldn't be on the list.

Chernobyl is very over-rated too.

I still watch Walking Dead due to having invested so much time on it, don't like to give up on a show which is why I stuck with Hannibal and Falling Skies ffs. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 20, 2021, 03:57:19 PM

Love/Hate should be in there too, whereas ones like Mare of Eastdown or True Detective stand out as ones that shouldn't be on the list.

I still watch Walking Dead due to having invested so much time on it, don't like to give up on a show which is why I stuck with Hannibal and Falling Skies ffs.

Why? Outside of Ireland was there really much critical acclaim? Also Love/Hate really dropped off in the last few seasons.

That list is meaningless while they have things like Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls on it. Popular is not the same a great.

screenexile

Quote from: thebigfella on October 20, 2021, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 20, 2021, 03:57:19 PM

Why? Outside of Ireland was there really much critical acclaim? Also Love/Hate really dropped off in the last few seasons.

That list is meaningless while they have things like Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls on it. Popular is not the same a great.

Great is different to different people. My wife for example loves the aforementioned shows where as I have to leave the room while they're on. They are probably great for the audience they cater to!

One more thing is the absence of Ted Lasso on that list is an absolute travesty!

J70

I'm enjoying Ted Lasso, but I wouldn't have it up there as all-time-great type of stuff.

Its not a comedy I would ever expect to revisit five or ten years down the line, unlike, say, Curb Your Enthusiasm or the US version of The Office or Arrested Development. Each to their own I guess.

Only Murders in the Building just finished in the US. That was entertaining. Steve Martin and Martin Short have done a few good things together recently.